TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, which one is on your truck? Do you like it? Why? Would you change it if you had the money?

I have the money to buy allpro's kit but I keep asking myself why is it so much better than leafs? Granted it comes in a kit why takes most of the math out of it but leafs are simple as well, so besides that, what do you think?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The Professor™ said:
I love my leafs in the front. I want to link the rear though....
x2, I feel the exact same. Am 100% pleased w/the front but want to ditch the chevy 63" ers for a nice 4 link.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Having wheeled with and seeing a couple coiled trucks flex a bunch and remain almost flat or tilt very little thru an obstacle and then because of the lack of tilting "feedback" watching there coils then reach the point where they unload and watching one dump on its side and another time see it on 2 wheels on a slope, has made me VERY much in love with my leafs. I go everywhere a coiled truck can go, I feel a bit more tilt and am able to decide to back out of something if I don't feel comfortable rather than relying on a spotter to tell me I've gone too far, and the cost for some really top quality leafs and the ride you can get from the leafs that are being produced today make the decision to go with/stay with leafs really easy.
NOW, if I were into jumping AND rock crawling, then coils all the way for the adjustable factors, crank them up for the dunes, lower them down for the rocks. The bling factor does not even compare to coils either, if bling is a concern, but you are here and not on custom taco's so, my point is inconsequential.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bling is not a factor at all. I am just getting ready to start buying some parts but am still torn on Coils vs. Leafs. I really like the All-Pro link/coil kit but at the same time know that leafs would be cheaper and work. I just don't want to drop money on leafs and that setup only to want to change later.

How would you compare the ride on road with leafs vs. my current coils w/ spacers? Night and Day difference? Does it give that "bounce" you usually feel in full size trucks that have leafs upfront?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
it does but mines not bad compared to bigger factory trucks. I like the ride very well actually. the good thing about leaves is they are simple and strong. If I had some money to throw around I might go with coils but I love my leaf setup as is.

·
Registered
168 Posts
GreenTaco4x4 said:
Bling is not a factor at all. I am just getting ready to start buying some parts but am still torn on Coils vs. Leafs. I really like the All-Pro link/coil kit but at the same time know that leafs would be cheaper and work. I just don't want to drop money on leafs and that setup only to want to change later.

How would you compare the ride on road with leafs vs. my current coils w/ spacers? Night and Day difference? Does it give that "bounce" you usually feel in full size trucks that have leafs upfront?

I like my leaf spring setup alot. The articulation is everything that I need and with a price tag that you cant argue with considering the capability. I do have some advice. Do not use junk yard waggy springs, in my experience with them they are pieces of shit and sag and bend in all sorts of ways. As far as the ride quality of a leaf spring setup compared to spacer lifts on ifs, the difference is night and day. My truck rides great on the road with only one exception, that being the excessive body roll that I get when cornering, but its not too bad. It doesnt give that slamming feeling that you have with spacers and I like that alot. When I had the spacers, I constantly bottomed out the suspension making for a harsh ride just about everywhere as I'm sure you've experienced, but after the swap it is considerably softer and doesnt give that hard slamming when you hit potholes and other on or offroad hazzards. Since you are just in Lynchburg you should consider coming down to blacksburg one weekend and we can do some wheeling and you can check out the setup I'm running and see if its something that you think you want.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
X2 on everything said about leafs. I really like my setup and will probably link the rear, at some point, but there is a lot to be said for a good pair of leafs up front. Spend the money on a crawler if you are considering the rocks instead of coils. Coils up front are nice, but leafs are too if set up right.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
GreenTaco4x4 said:

Coils w/spacer....... rides like a Yugo....... my leafs....... rides like a 78 caddy Eldorado.... smoooooooth baby. I absolutely LOVE the way my Alcans ride. I've driven a couple different coiled SAS and I personally think my truck rides nicer at least on the bumpy dirt road we were on. As far as how it rides on roads getting to some of the trails I'm heading too with the leafs compared to ifs with spacers, I go 35-50 mph on some of the roads I used to get slammed around on at 20 mph before.
NOW this is how my truck rides, I had a very knowledgeable person do my swap and had everything come out REALLY well, my shackles lean back farther than almost everyone who comments on the angle seems to think they should, yet I never hit the frame like those same people all think I will, and then I continually have people remark how my ride is so incredible compared to other swaps people have ridden in who remark on mine, so let that speak to you as you see fit.
My specs just in case you decide to ask.........

37 in Irok Radials
15x10 in MT classic 2 wheels
Custom width Diamond axles front and rear 4 inches wider front and rear from stock.
Front is 65 inches wide from WMS to WMS and is set up to run Toyota style Birfields instead of u-joints.
Inners are Longfields 30 spline.
The 3rd member in the front is a toyota HP 8" with 4.88 gears with an ARB locker
The rear axle is 64 inches wide and also has 4340 chromoly inners with a toyota 8" 3rd with 4.88's and an ARB and is a full floater with disc brakes. ( FROR set up )
The spring hangers, frame plating, steering box mount, cross member, and shackles on the front are all from Front Range Offroad Fab.
A 90's toyota IFS steering box is used to turn the truck, with Marlin Crawler High steering kit and pitman.
The front leafs are from Alcan Springs made to Tacoma weight but made the same as
85 Toyota Front stock length
3.0" lift
7 Leaf pack
7)- 7mm thick leafs
2.0" Center pin Offset toward the front

The rears are also Alcan and spec as follows
00 Tacoma Rear stock length
5.0" Lift
3)- 7mm Thick Leafs (8leaf pack)
1-1/2" extended on the tail
I also have a Front Range Offroad Fab Transfer-case cross-member and skid plate
I am running 14" travel Bilstein 5150's all around.
Summit rear brake manually controlled proportioning valve.
Custom front bumper, warn 9.5 xp winch
rear is clearance cut with custom bumper.
PSC hydro assist steering kit.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
GreenTaco4x4 said:
When the front hanger is placed under the front frame rails, I assume it adds 2 inches? (Kirk has 3" leafs in front and 5" in rear)....
Not necessarily, the frame height is different front to rear. The rear springs are 5" lift for a TOCOMA the fronts are 3" lift for an 85 mini truck but made for Taco weight (supposedly).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Captkirkyota said:
Having wheeled with and seeing a couple coiled trucks flex a bunch and remain almost flat or tilt very little thru an obstacle and then because of the lack of tilting "feedback" watching there coils then reach the point where they unload and watching one dump on its side and another time see it on 2 wheels on a slope, has made me VERY much in love with my leafs. .
if you run coils captured on both ends they cannot unload. Coilvers or noncaptured coils can unload though.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have run both leafs and coils on my taco. I swapped from leafs to captured coils now on my truck. One main consideration is how low you want to go. It is very hard to get a low truck with leafs unless you run flat leafs (distort easily) or shackle through the frame. (hard to do on our trucks)
I noticed the ride is much better with my coils than it was with leafs (on and off road), it also is alot quiter on and off road. I also feel I gained stability with my captured coils over my shitty leaf springs. The go fast possibilitys of links are another plus for them.
Either can perform well off road and will let you go as far as your nerve and sheet metal can take you.
That said I like my coil/link setup better than the leafs.
:2cents:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
PappaF2 said:
if you run coils captured on both ends they cannot unload. Coilvers or noncaptured coils can unload though.
Huh? What I'm talking about is having a very compressed coil with an almost level body for so long you do not realize how off camber you are until the weight finally shifts enough and then the coils starts to open back up and by the time you feel it you are almost ready to flop over or do or have 2 tires come off the ground on the uphill side. Can you say yikes! :eek:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Captkirkyota said:
Huh? What I'm talking about is having a very compressed coil with an almost level body for so long you do not realize how off camber you are until the weight finally shifts enough and then the coils starts to open back up and by the time you feel it you are almost ready to flop over or do or have 2 tires come off the ground on the uphill side. Can you say yikes! :eek:
A leaf spring will try to return to its arch if the weight shifts to one side too.
Any way I think what you have seen (and are describing) has more to do with the roll center than the fact they are using coils as opposed to leafs. IF you setup your truck to have a high roll center it keeps the body level for longer but then has a drastic tipping point where it all shifts very quickly, sometimes causing a flop.
You can set up a linked truck to have a lower roll center so it experiances more tilt earlier (like leafs) instead of an all of a sudden flop.
It seems to me it's all in how you set the link geometry up, some prefer it one way, some like it the other way.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Generally speaking. Link and coil-over costs more but usually provides more articulation for a given amount of lift. Also street handling and ride quality tend to be better with a good link and coil setup over the basic Hotchkiss design. The link and coil setup is also more easily tuned and tweaked as you can change variables independently without affecting other variables. Approach angle is improved with a link and coil setup as there are no front spring hangers for the leaf springs.

Either way, the execution has more over all impact on the end results than does type the type of suspension. I have a link and coil over setup but would take a good well done leaf spring setup over a shoddily built and executed link and coil build up any day.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Dick Foster said:
Either way, the execution has more over all impact on the end results than does type the type of suspension. I have a link and coil over setup but would take a good well done leaf spring setup over a shoddily built and executed link and coil build up any day.
thats the truth for sure. ;)

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
GreenTaco4x4 said:
Ok, which one is on your truck? Do you like it? Why? Would you change it if you had the money?
My :2cents: ............

3 link w/coilovers
pro's:
low ride height, stability, almost infinate adjustability and comfortable ride.

con's:
the lower ride height creates a bunch of headaches with clearance and there are more parts to maintain.

Wheeling this truck has taken a while to get used to....It took me a while to get comfortable with the tendency it it has to stay level over what normally is very tippy terrain before it gives you any feedback, but overall I am very happy with how well it preforms both in the rocks and on the street..........like anything else, I have a few bugs to work out to get it just how I want it, but I have yet to regret going links over leafs.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I am with the "Professor" on the type of set up I want to achieve. Currently I have leafs front and back but would like to swap the rear for a link set up. Dick probably described the ultimate point of view on this discussion though.

They are both superior to the IFS but if one is done poorly the other would obviously be better.

For the budget minded individual, the leaf set up would be cheaper. But for the coil/link provides greater adjustabilty and lower stance.

and for what is worth, this last weekend, I had my truck sitting with the front axle with the drivers side rear stuffed, and the passenger side front stuffed, and my truck was sitting near level. But the first step out of the drivers door was a doozie, about 5 feet down to terra forma! Yet later in the afternoon. I nearly flopped it even though I felt the roll over point as Capt Kirk described but with the leafs I was able to feel the roll begin and powered out of the flop.

Never driven a link equipped truck, so I can't tell you if I would have been able to save it as I did with a link set up or not. but my leafs and lockers sure put a grin on my face afterwards!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts