TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched to mixed results. I would like to know:

1- Do coil overs sag with something like an ARB and winch? Over time? None at all? Depends on brand? What are the facts?

2 - If they do not, what keeps them from doing so? I can't figure out why they would not sag?? If they do sag, I assume they do not sag as bad as OME springs, but why?

3- Almost all of the coil over companies seem to be race related (baja style). How are these on rocks? I have seen people say to get OME springs if you rockcrawl, but stay away from coil overs. I have seen others that push their trucks to extreme (extreme for IFS) on the rocks with coil overs. Is there a particular brand that is better in rocks? Is OME really better than CO's when it comes to rocks?

Some say they do not, some say they do. Come to find out with more research, half of the "sayers" have never even had a set.. I know from experience that OME will sag with weight, and that they are a good setup without an ARB and winch What exactly makes a coil over any different?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
i use my coilovers on the rocks and can get full stuff/droop with them. the key to useing coilovers on rocks and getting them to work is to keep the preload to a minimum. crank them to much and they ride bad, don't flex. i have SAW 2.0 coilovers cranked for about 1.5-1.75" of lift. not alot... that with my bumper and winch really makes it work nice on the rocks (for ifs)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Texan1983 said:
i use my coilovers on the rocks and can get full stuff/droop with them. the key to useing coilovers on rocks and getting them to work is to keep the preload to a minimum. crank them to much and they ride bad, don't flex. i have SAW 2.0 coilovers cranked for about 1.5-1.75" of lift. not alot... that with my bumper and winch really makes it work nice on the rocks (for ifs)

thanks for the input. I have a 4cyl, single cab. I guess I could go to 2" and be ok?

(Nevermind, I found it) Also, do you have a link to a picture of your front bumper? Its odd, but we were just talking about it in another thread..

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very nice... Glad it was pointed out to me. I am liking it more an more over the ARB now. Also, did you get weld on or bolt on sliders?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still, what is it that keeps them from sagging with a lot of weight up front? I do not understand it.. Its still a coil, and don't all coils sag with time?

·
Registered
533 Posts
It has an adjustable collar threaded on to the shock body that allows you to adjust for the sag or extra weight.

If it sags, adjust it. Add a bumper, adjust it. girlfreind gets fat, adjust one side :D

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
007 said:
girlfreind gets fat, adjust one side :D
:D You had experience with that? I know that much of it, however, I see people complain when its adjusted too much, I guess the added weight offsets this.. Maybe that is what I am missing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
jhunter said:
:D You had experience with that?

Ya, she has gained 20lbs in the last 5months, she is up to 145lbs and just keeps eating. Apparently this is going to continue until June.........................
Then I'll be a DAD! :D

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Texan1983 said:
Bolt on. only way to go! :D
Sweet, me too. Just so I would not have to hear how stupid I am from Dick each and every day. ;) Plus the many other benifits of them let me that way. DHL has them comming in today, even after their 7:30 update. They never showed up, so maybe in the morning.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
For search purposes:

Springs sag. Springs are consumables. All springs.

So yes, you can crank coilovers to adjust for sag, but when it becomes more than 1/4" or so, time to replace the springs.

Sag (or wear actually) is accelerated by cranking on them in the first place to achieve lift, and further accelerated by the cycling of off-road use.

I'd bet a dozen off-road weekends would equal about a year's worth of normal wear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
Valkyrie
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing