TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking for clarification, does getting new upper arms with coilovers allow putting slightly larger tires on? For example, I want to get some SAW/Bils/etc. coilovers to clear 32's. I was told I could clear 33's if I added in new arms as well. I realize there may be some trimming and the pinch weld has to be pounded but is this the case? Just wondering cause I'm eyeing the All Pro setup and I can get new arms as well. Just wondering if it's worth it.
For what it's worth, I do some mild offroading. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
AZTaco said:
Checking for clarification, does getting new upper arms with coilovers allow putting slightly larger tires on? For example, I want to get some SAW/Bils/etc. coilovers to clear 32's. I was told I could clear 33's if I added in new arms as well. I realize there may be some trimming and the pinch weld has to be pounded but is this the case? Just wondering cause I'm eyeing the All Pro setup and I can get new arms as well. Just wondering if it's worth it.
it'll depend how you crank high you crank ur coilovers..if you crank it at max which you really shouldn't do...you'll have so problem putting in 32" tires, but it also depends the size of the rims and also the backspacing..the arms will give u an extra 1" to help you clear 33" tires...again depends on the the rims and how wide the tires are also...u'll prob rub a little bit..but not as bad as you think...most def recommand getting pinch weld mod,trimming ect. to limit the rubbing..but i'm sure it'll only rub at full flex or turn...

·
Registered
135 Posts
what he said, but isnt this thread for coilover SAS posts, not coilover IFS posts?
- Not trying to be a jackass, i'm just trying to get used to the new board just like everyone else.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops. Just saw coilovers and jumped right in. I guess that's what the moderators are for. Gonna take awhile to get used to the new format. Thanks for pointing it out.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
stevet47 said:
what he said, but isnt this thread for coilover SAS posts, not coilover IFS posts?
- Not trying to be a jackass, i'm just trying to get used to the new board just like everyone else.
Thread moved at the request of its initiator; we are all learning the new format, myself included.

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
The arms will give you no additional lift. They simply are a better and more rugged design then the stock arms and allow more travel, but not any additional lift.

With coilovers and the arms, I could see you cranking the coils to about 2-2.5" over stock and fitting 32" tires, but even if you go to 3" of lift, you would still rub with 33s. You would want to add a 2" bodylift for the extra clearance.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
really? i read it on camburg website or some website that sold the a-arm and i said it'll give an additional 1"...maybe i read it wrong..

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Many of those a-arms, depending on design, allow more droop (i.e. down travel). Arms that still utilize the original upper ball joints will put the arms at a shallower angle to the ball joint; in other words you won't be putting the joint at it's limits.

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
04RedLobster said:
really? i read it on camburg website or some website that sold the a-arm and i said it'll give an additional 1"...maybe i read it wrong..
With the right shock to allow more travel, you can gain 1" more down travel with the arm. This is because the arm uses a uniball instead of the balljoint, which is the initial limiting factor in our stock front suspension.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
R U against installing a mild-wild bl????
jk
U should be able to clear 32"s with only a mild suspension lift, up to 3"
you will be able to run 33"'s with a 1-3" bl and suspension lift as well
I am looking at running 35's and I only have a 6" lift
you can always SAS your taco and run 37's LOL
jk

·
Registered
145 Posts
i got camburg coils with about 2in of lift with 32x11.5x15 fits fine with very little trimming in the rear of the fender, the arms just let you crank the coils more thats what the 1" lift the website talk about

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
as stated the upper arms will allow for an 1" more DROOP! You will, however, need coilovers that are "extended" to gain the extra inch. Just putting the arms on will not give you an extra 1".

There was a thread around from Donahoe explaining that the real benifit from the upper arms what the roll center was higher, which increases stability- which is more important once you start lifting things.

UCA's DO NOT give you an extra inch of height.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am running King's set at 2" with 16 x 8 MT Classic II with a 3-5/8 backspace and A 265/75-16 and I have no rubbing problems.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
AZTaco said:
Is that how Allpro sells there kits now? A a-arm will let you run bigger tires? Maybe I read it wrong?

When we install coil overs the upper a-arm helps camber align better than with out and also gives you a really strong upper ball joint and arm! Or in other words It makes your front end happy with the new lift! But in order to clear bigger tires you need to crank up the coil over a little and have a good alignment on the front end!

We put coil overs and upper arms on trucks all the time and have them aligned. We tell the shop to align the front end forward to clear the fire wall. It works pretty well and we clear 285x75x16in tires and wheels with very little or no rubbing at all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
13 Participants
cb77DEMELLO
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing