TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 04 non-trd v6 4x4 double cab used for daily driver/logging roads/towing fishing boat/hunting/farming, so it is basically a work truck. Want to give it some lift because I bottom out on dirt roads when loaded with reasonable weight. I also tow a trailer with three passengers in the cab. I live in Northern Vermont and Southern Canada, so the truck experiences plenty of salt in the winter. I've spent a good deal of time searching the forums, and I think my best set up is OME 882s in the front and a full leaf pack in the back. Is this correct for my use and if it is, can I start with the leafs pack in the back and later replace the front suspension with the OME 882's? Thanks for your help.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
VtFly said:
I've got a 04 non-trd v6 4x4 double cab used for daily driver/logging roads/towing fishing boat/hunting/farming, so it is basically a work truck. Want to give it some lift because I bottom out on dirt roads when loaded with reasonable weight. I also tow a trailer with three passengers in the cab. I live in Northern Vermont and Southern Canada, so the truck experiences plenty of salt in the winter. I've spent a good deal of time searching the forums, and I think my best set up is OME 882s in the front and a full leaf pack in the back. Is this correct for my use and if it is, can I start with the leafs pack in the back and later replace the front suspension with the OME 882's? Thanks for your help.
882s will give you around 2.5" after settling and their rear leafpks are good for about 2". the OME complete pkg is a great value and gives you 100% better ride/handling than stock. If you don't need quite that much lift go with 881s and possibly have your rear leafpks rebuilt with a 4th leaf and re-arched for whatever lift you want to even out the truck. the N85 OME shocks will work with this setup as well as Bilstein 5100s.

If you beef up just the rear your ride will be bone-jaring...been there, done that...so try and do everything at once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.Will the 881s be too soft for a double cab?
2.Do I need to put a differential drop in because it is 4x4?
3.If I stay with 882s will 2.5"s of lift screw up the other components in the IFS?
Thanks for the input
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
VtFly said:
1.Will the 881s be too soft for a double cab?
2.Do I need to put a differential drop in because it is 4x4?
3.If I stay with 882s will 2.5"s of lift screw up the other components in the IFS?
Thanks for the input
1. That's a matter of personal preference. The difference between 881's and 882's is the length, not the spring rate. So the "softness" should be the same for either.

2. No.

3. No. It might wear some other components out a little quicker, but not drastically so.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
VtFly said:
1.Will the 881s be too soft for a double cab?
2.Do I need to put a differential drop in because it is 4x4?
3.If I stay with 882s will 2.5"s of lift screw up the other components in the IFS?
Thanks for the input
all OME coils are 500# so there is no difference in 'softness' between them. the difference will be in the amount of lift.

the "diff drop" is a waste of time and $25.

Any mods we do come with certain risks. If you don't want to have to think about things wearing out sooner or breaking then keep it stock.
Lifting higher than 2" MAY cause rapid CV boot wear but not necessarily. some lift the ADD rigs 3" and have no boot problems; some only lift 2" and blow them regularly...it's a crap-shoot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once again the TTORA crew has provided clarity to a confusing situation, thank you. Another question would the trucks weight carrying ability be increased, and ride improved if I had the OEM leafs rebuilt/rearched and added a 4th leaf , or would I be better off acquiring a full leaf pack from Deaver or Alcan?
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
VtFly said:
Once again the TTORA crew has provided clarity to a confusing situation, thank you. Another question would the trucks weight carrying ability be increased, and ride improved if I had the OEM leafs rebuilt/rearched and added a 4th leaf , or would I be better off acquiring a full leaf pack from Deaver or Alcan?
"technically" you can't increase the load cap of the truck in any way. The frame will only take so much. But...in reality, you will be able to haul another 500+# by adding a 4th leaf to the OE pks, going with OMEs or other aftermarket hd leafpks or installing a long AAL like Downey's. the cheapest route is having the OE pks rebuilt and arched to your specs.

I've been hauling 2000+# loads of firewood with my NWOR hd pks for nearly 2 1/2 years and have just now had to have them re-arched.
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/wheelin trips/Pismo/Pismo 1-23-04/photos/photo_1.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
what's the difference between the Bilstein 5100s and the OME shocks in terms of ride, length, etc.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So in my quest for suspension knowledge I decided to look under my own truck. Did I get a lemon or is toyota stock really only suitable for Sunday drives to church. Along with having the flat to inverted leafs common to many, the front coils are , I believe too compressed. On the front left from the top loops number 2 & 3 touch, and on right front the top four loops touch. Is this normal, suppose it doen't matter b/c I will replace them but still the truck is an '04 and really hasn't been beaten on. No wonder we have to turn to mods so quickly. Anyone else have a similar experience?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Thats odd. My 01 Has a spacer lift with its 88k mile springs and not touching. Now the leafs are a different story.....they suck but new ones are too much for my blood. Looks like its time for some new front springs for you.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
VtFly said:
So in my quest for suspension knowledge I decided to look under my own truck. Did I get a lemon or is toyota stock really only suitable for Sunday drives to church. Along with having the flat to inverted leafs common to many, the front coils are , I believe too compressed. On the front left from the top loops number 2 & 3 touch, and on right front the top four loops touch. Is this normal, suppose it doen't matter b/c I will replace them but still the truck is an '04 and really hasn't been beaten on. No wonder we have to turn to mods so quickly. Anyone else have a similar experience?
you must have a TRD with the progressive rate coils. the top 3-4 wraps are in the 300# rating range with the lower section at just over 500# (from what I understand but the jury's still out on this one). So, that is the way they look normally. As for the rear, welcome to the Tacoma and it's socker-mom cushy ride springs, LOL Tacos only have 8" of front wheel travel, 4 up and 4 down...only 6" in the rear. Welcome to the world of IFS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Heh this was very nice to read. I've been hauling enough lately that my shocks will be fully compressed and i've been wanting to have at least a little leeway. unofficially doable or not ;)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top