TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an 01 v6 Tacoma and I'm interested in getting an air intake system. Do they really work and what are the best ones to get? :confused:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ive had two different ones before, one afe current idk what brand. Its not a huge difference in power or anything. what I noticed is its louder (depends if you like noise) and a increase in throttle response (not big). one was plastic current one is aluminum not much difference. And I actually plan on taking it off because I plan on going through water in the future.
would I recommend depends if you really got money to throw at it if you were close I'd say try mine lol

Its on a 04 v6 taco

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys, helps out alot. I would love to try it out man but I'm in Tennessee

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've had a couple in the past and it really made no difference. They do get water in them if you wheel. Remove the elbow and it will help some.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The factory intake is already cold air, it pulls from inside the fender. Most aftermarket ones pull from under the hood, which is hot air. Add in the MAF sensor fouling issues from the oil soaked aftermarket air filters and they make even less sense.

My truck came with an aluminum Ebay CAI on it and I wish I could find a good stock intake to go back on it. The supercharger whine is a lot louder through it, and I replaced the oiled filter with a paper one meant for an older honda accord, but I always worry about sucking water and it's a big pink POS under the hood sucking hot air.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I second that. Just took my K&N off and put stock back on. Truck runs much better with stock intake. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Although...I am selling my K&N system if ya want it? It's in the classifieds :D

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Save your money and do the deck plate mod.
Worse for the motor unless all you do is just drive full throttle.........

Just remove the elbow if you want any more performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I heard the deck plate mod makes you lose 1-2 MPG, and the elbow mod increases chances of water getting into your intake. Just in case you need to consider the cons.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Snorkel.:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
intake

I have the 2.7 liter 4 cylinder engine in my 99 tacoma. When I did put the k&n cold air intake in, it did help because of my lack of power. But when I got more into wheeling, it is a disadvantage because it gets dirty so easy. So now im ripping it out to put a snorkle in. So its up to you if your looking for performance on the road of off of it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey guys I have an 01 v6 Tacoma and I'm interested in getting an air intake system. Do they really work and what are the best ones to get? :confused:
Just make one like mine, practically free if you got the know how and the hook-up's like my bro did. Be sure to put an air dam in it, and get the air from the grille area or you're throwing your time/money down the drain. :2cents:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Im gonna have to agree with this guy right here ^^^^ I just installed on my 2003 V6 taco and i knoticed slight millage and torque gain on the freeway but that's about it. The factory air intake is cold air and if you don't want more dirt/water in the motor then snorkels are where it's at. Doesnt mean you can go splashing through puddles or anything but it's better then the tire throwing at the sucktion port of the intake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts