TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
First, nobody should ever buy a K&N product. Their filters especially are substandard.

You might want to look at the URD True cold air intake. That is one of the best CAIs available right now.

I have used K & N filters in cars,buggies,trucks and M/C's for 40 years and never experienced a failure do to qualify of product. Where do they fail?

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I have used K & N filters in cars,buggies,trucks and M/C's for 40 years and never experienced a failure do to qualify of product. Where do they fail?
THey allow dust to get through the filter. I had one and saw the dust. I don't think K&Ns are at all suitable for off road vehicles that operate in dusty conditions. I kept it for a spare and installed an oiled foam filter and see no dust behind it what so ever.

If it's cold air you want then get and install one of these.

Safari - Snorkels

Now I have cool, squeeky clean air and lots of it while the whole setup is much more suited for an off road vehicle.

Beyond fording through water, the snorkel also gets the engine intake up and out of the dust and dirt.

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
The quality of their filtering is very poor. This mostly applies to the oiled gauze filters. They pass too much fine particulate. You won't see a failure of the filter, but allowing the small particles into the engine will cause additional engine wear on a long term scale.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Never experienced that with a well oiled filter. We switched from Filtron (oil foam) to K&N because in the day we could run a 1000 mile race without changing a filter with K&N. Used them in every toy and daily driver since then with ZERO issues.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Never experienced that with a well oiled filter. We switched from Filtron (oil foam) to K&N because in the day we could run a 1000 mile race without changing a filter with K&N. Used them in every toy and daily driver since then with ZERO issues.
Well maybe if you spent more time out of the mall parking lots and off road in the desert maybe. :D

BTW I had mine well oiled but it has holes that allow the dust to get by. If you can see through it then the dust is going to get through too. Barring that I could see and pick up the dust in the intake. That's when the K&N came off and the Amsoil foam filter went on. I use the K&N for a spare when servicing the foam filter but then it comes right back out again. It's better than nothing but just that and no more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Volant is a better product than K&N, in my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have used the TRD oiled filter for well over 13 years in my 1997 4runner. I bought it from Toyota and thought it was manufactured by K&N........never an oily intake and I clean my MAF in the spring and fall. I usually oil the media and let it sit for a week & then wipe of any excess. I use a paper filter for that period.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts