TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know, when you install a cold air intake, i know it sounds better, you get more power, but do you get better gas milage too?

·
Registered
111 Posts
You should get more mileage if you drive normal as you did before the mod. But most, like I; put our foot into it more.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:doh: just search... and post in the newbie folder next time!

·
Registered
215 Posts
put a big TTORA banner on ur truck...50 hp!!! ok ok...i lied..more like 25...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would, buy how can i get the merchandice, t shirts, posters, stickers, decals, window decals?
ive looked and i cant find it

ok sorry for the newb stuff, i know a lot about working on cars and drag racing, but off road is newer to me, and im just trying to learn more about what you can do, pluse i dont want to make any stupid mistakes, to my new truck, you know?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is there tshirts too?

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Contact the sticker chick she is supposed to have shirts available now.

Search around on here about performance mods for your engine, most all and any mod that is out there has been done and talked about by somebody on here.
But overall the only way to wake up ponies in the toyota truck engine you have to supercharge or turbocharge it.

Oh congrats you got my 1000th post:D

·
Registered
532 Posts
ok sorry for the newb stuff, i know a lot about working on cars and drag racing, but off road is newer to me, and im just trying to learn more about what you can do, pluse i dont want to make any stupid mistakes, to my new truck, you know?
*i had this whole reply typed out already before i realized he did not have a pre 05 so im posting it anyway. most of it probably still holds true. :D

ill sum it up for you. after years of reading on here this is what i have found.

the only real power mod is the supercharger. a full exhaust (headers & catback) will improve the performance of the supercharged engine. fuel system upgrades also improve the performance of a supercharged engine.

a catback exhaust on a naturally aspirated non supercharged truck will reduce back pressure which will in turn reduce low end torque. these stock tacoma engines require the backpressure of the restrictive exhaust in low end torque.

headers make no noticeable difference in performance on a stock tacoma engine. they only improve sound.

cold air intakes make negligible difference in performance on a stock tacoma engine and, like headers and exhaust, only improve the sound. the deckplate or elbow mod has been proven to out perform them on 3.4l v6 models.

"chips" so called performance chips/tuner chips do nothing to toyota engines and are a complete waste of money.

throttle body spacers do nothing.

tornado fuel savers do nothing.

every ounce of power that can be squeezed out of these trucks outside of forced induction has already been done from the factory and no bolt on mods will really change that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Gas milage gents, gas milage, that and some boost in HP is what I am after. If I did not have to use a truck for a big cross country documentary where I will be sleeping in it, off roading it, I would use a more fuel efficient vehicle since fuel costs are so high. I am also a board member of two enviromental coalitions, I have to set at least a decent example here.

I have a TRD CAI on order, if all I get is some teeny-bopper's rendition of "Cool noise brah!" and a few HP but worse milage, I will put the thing on ebay faster than you can say "When I get mia G.E.D, Umm gonna geet me wanna those sooper chargers".

Sticker and T-shirt jokes aside, what is the REAL story here men?

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Gas milage gents, gas milage, that and some boost in HP is what I am after. If I did not have to use a truck for a big cross country documentary where I will be sleeping in it, off roading it, I would use a more fuel efficient vehicle since fuel costs are so high. I am also a board member of two enviromental coalitions, I have to set at least a decent example here.

I have a TRD CAI on order, if all I get is some teeny-bopper's rendition of "Cool noise brah!" and a few HP but worse milage, I will put the thing on ebay faster than you can say "When I get mia G.E.D, Umm gonna geet me wanna those sooper chargers".

Sticker and T-shirt jokes aside, what is the REAL story here men?
X2. Boat for me isn't gettin any lighter, and gas aint gettin any cheaper.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm sorry about my tone, but I have spent literally hours on the net in every manner you can imagine trying to get a straight mature answer that is not laden with "Sounds cool" or "Looks bitchen".

I use my vehicle professionally, in my photo work and in rescue situations at up to 12,000 feet, this is serious business.

This TRD CAI is for a 2005 Tacoma 4.0 / 6 spd.

The guys at the mod shop in Denver said that if you are in the high country, a CAI is the first mod you should to to your engine if you want a bit more power and better milage as the engine is working more efficiently to get enough combustible air, especially on the passes.

I am looking for real world feedback.

Thanks ahead of time and sorry to those hobby types I may offend, it is not intentional, I am just getting frustrated is all.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
huh thanks for the advise my future plans were:

superchip performance chip
cold air intake (K&N)
3" Flowmaster cat back exhaust
3" suspension lift
33" tires
and some exterior accessories

and i will be adding once i start bringing in money again

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
huh thanks for the advise my future plans were:

superchip performance chip
cold air intake (K&N)
3" Flowmaster cat back exhaust
3" suspension lift
33" tires
and some exterior accessories

and i will be adding once i start bringing in money again

You really have no idea.......

Superchip doesn't do.... SQUAT

And by exterior accessories, do you mean sliders, or underbody neons.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
up around 12000 feet with my cai i got diddly squat for gas milage

if you really are crusing at those altitudes much more often than normal (once or tiwce a year) then id recomend a supercharger.. going through the colorado mountains i can easly imagine that this is the only thing that is going to help.. i had to keep it in 3 to maintain 75 with 33's and stock gears v6 gears would help but thats not solving the real problem of lack of air

plus i hear good milage from forced induction as long as your a feather weight on the throttle

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
People don't add forced induction of any kind for fuel economy. If you put more air into an engine you have to put more fuel in it as well. If you don't, presto, your engine turns into a crappy boat anchor.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts