TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does my truck Idle speed get fast when it is really cold out?? ;)

HAHa just kidding
But once and awhile my high idle does not "work" when its really cold.

Generally it is fine, but 2 times in the last two weeks, it idles at like 1200 rather then the normal 2000ish.

Kind of scary :confused: cause i'm guessing it is an intermittant electrical problem :(

Any ideas?

PS

1996 Tacoma V6 5 Spd
Extended Cab with 150 000 ish miles.

PPS
could bad coolant (not cold enough rating) be the problem.

Oh yeah, i'm in Canada :D

·
Registered
770 Posts
Why did you steal my avitar?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has the temperature been the same on these incidences as the times it ran a high idle at startup? Or was there a freeze the night before?

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
If you're really from Canada, you should have been born knowing that when it's really cold, things move slow; especially cars....;)

Usually folks push the clutch in when starting their vehicle with a manual transmission. When the engine starts, it only has to overcome it's own contents. Even if left in neutral, when you then let the clutch out, parts of the contents of the gearbox are added to that load, slowing the engine some.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have kind of the opposite problem. After driving my truck and it is fully warmed up my idle goes up to 1500. Today I drove straight 2 hours and when I got home and put it in park it was idling at 1300. Then somedays it idles just fine. I did notice that my High idle selenoid (for lack of better terms) was pushing out the way it shouldbe. Is it getting too much vaccuum so it is working when it isnt supposed to? Or is it lack of vaccuum?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
MNTaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing