TTORA Forum banner

Cold Weather Preparation??

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SpiegsUT 
#1 ·
Here my situation. Right now I live in Utah, where it's cold, but not FRIGID. I'm moving up to Jackson, Wyoming where the low last night was 8 degrees, and I will be parking outside, uncovered.

Any tips for preparation? I've got a sub-0 sleeping bag, shovel/gear, and some MRIs if I get stuck...but I'm looking more for things I can do for the truck to run well up in the cold weather.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Make sure you've got a good 50-50 mix of anti-freeze and water in your radiator. Check your battery. I read somewhere that at those temperatures, not only does your battery deliver less juice, the engine requires more juice to start.
BTW, I sure hate this shitty January weather we're having in Utah.

#5 ·
Your truck will run better if you switch all the oils over to a full synth oil (gear oil, ATF, moter,etc), they will still flow smooth down to well below negitive 30 and below. Normal oil will goo up and be hard to flow once you get below freezing (wax in the oils) , and take longer to warm up. I've heard of engines not being able to start because the oil is basicaly forzen and too thick to pump, and if you can't get it running you can't warm up the oil.. they also make block/oil pan heaters you can leave pluged in overnight to keep the oil above freezing... but you pretty much don't need them if you run synth unless it get REAL cold.. like those folks up in AK..

#8 ·
Thanks to everyone so far. The fluid types is more what I'm looking for. Thanks for the input about the full Synth. I didn't know it was better for the cold. I think I'd rather change to full Synth instead of a block heater. I don't think I'll have a place to plug it in at the apartments.

Ditto to the crappy weather in Utah right now. At least the mountains are getting stocked up with snow. Could be a fun summer on the lakes this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.