TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to order my truck, and one thing that was a demand of mine was I didn't want the color keyed overfenders. For some reason I just have an issue with painted plastic.

No of course, this totally limits what packages I can get because if you upgrade to any package, it automatically comes with the painted overfenders to match the color of your vehicle.

My reasoning for not wanting plastic that is painted is because the second something rubs against the overfender, it tears up that paint and basically looks like hell. When I was down at the dealership, I saw a new truck and with the painted overfenders and one of the rear side painted overfenders had rubbbed against something ever so slightly and it scrapped the paint right off and basically looks like hell.

Anyone have any first hand experience with the painted overfenders? Do you like them? Have you had any problems with the paint chipping off and rubbing off from a bush or anything? Also, does anyone know where and the cost of replacemment overfenders? I was thinking about getting the SR5 package and then just replacing the colored overfenders with the stock unpainted overfenders.

Any feedback on this is welcome.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
To start off, we call them fender flares. I have a set on my truck that came stock as color matched. While I've rubbed up on a few things with them, they have never chipped. I do agree that they look pretty had after they are scratched but I'm planning on taking them off, sanding, and painting them flat black. If I ever scrape them up again (and I'm sure I will), I'll just resand them and slap another coat of paint on.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Interex said:
To start off, we call them fender flares. I have a set on my truck that came stock as color matched. While I've rubbed up on a few things with them, they have never chipped. I do agree that they look pretty had after they are scratched but I'm planning on taking them off, sanding, and painting them flat black. If I ever scrape them up again (and I'm sure I will), I'll just resand them and slap another coat of paint on.
Who cares what he calls them? He got the point across.

~Miguel

·
Registered
291 Posts
Miguel said:
Who cares what he calls them? He got the point across.

~Miguel
are you his fucking mom?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The paint on the flares actually holds up very well. My wife completely scraped mine against the wall of our garage one day when she was pulling in and it didnt even do anything to them, just scraped paint of the garage wall.

·
Registered
194 Posts
my clear coat started bubbling and peeling off last year. I bought my truck new in '97 and the factory painted fender flare paint lasted until '06. I'd say buy the package you want regardless of what color flares come with it. If they start looking like junk, remove them and paint 'em black.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Mine have held up well on my 05. When they look like shit I'll paint them black. I hit a pigeon at 45 MPH (believe it or not) and didn't even chip the paint. I got a little rub mark, that's all. Probably just got lucky. The flares are very expensive from yota, so you probably will want to run them till they look bad.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Interex said:
... we call them fender flares. ...
Just for the record ... Although we all commonly refer to them as 'fender flares' or 'flares' in all the Tacoma-related forums, these pieces have always been called 'overfenders' in Toyota literature (including parts lists, manuals, etc.).

... So if you ever need to find info on these parts in official Toyota documentation, remember to look for the term 'overfender'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx for the informaiton and feedback everyone! This gives me a few good ideas regarding these overfenders (flares).

·
Registered
912 Posts
Bushwacker makes these: (1.5" flare, around $400 - 500 for complete set) No drilling/cutting to install. Might be cheaper than OEM.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
IMO just order the truck with the color keyed flares and paint them black. I suggest that you go online and read the install info on the bushwackers before ordering up a set. Just to be sure that you understand the amount of work involved. Then if you feel up to that PITA, then go for it. But I personally think it's a waste of cash. Also, they don't make a set for the short bed, so you might want to consider that. Good luck.

·
Registered
912 Posts
mojavegold said:
IMO just order the truck with the color keyed flares and paint them black. I suggest that you go online and read the install info on the bushwackers before ordering up a set. Just to be sure that you understand the amount of work involved. Then if you feel up to that PITA, then go for it. But I personally think it's a waste of cash. Also, they don't make a set for the short bed, so you might want to consider that. Good luck.
These aren't the "cut-out" flares, the're the "pocket" flares. They just replace your oem flares and clip in to the stock holes on your fenders, no drilling/cutting. Seems like an easy install but maybe they are a PITA, iv'e never installed em'.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Happy: thanks, I was aware of that. At one time I was actually considering these for my truck, because I liked the look of them. Then I realized that they wouldn't get me any more tire clearance. The install is straight forward, but looks to be very time consuming and not worth the hassle. Plus, he stated that he was going to buy a truck without the flares and install his own. If you order the base model W/O flares, then I'm assuming you don't get the existing factory holes to work with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts