TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a letter from the CSP saying i was reported for speeding, unsafe lane change and fallowing too close in jan. Then on feb. 27th fallowing too close and speeding then april 29th weaving and speeding. So heres my problem with this.

I drive the speedlimit or if im in a hurry 3maybe 5 over but im a FIRM believer in drive right and pass left(on my drive its only posted with a state law above it like every 5 miles) so if one asshat is driving 65 in a 75 in the left (happens daily) and i go to pass someone on the right and come up fast on him then he will 99% of the time hit his freaking brakes and be a total jerk off the rest of the time im near him. All this jerk off has to do is Dial *csp and make a report. I dont know what happens after you are reported more then 3 times but im going to call and find out.

What pisses me off the most is its not the people that are driving the speed limits driving right and passing left causeing the road rage its the idiot that wants to drive 10-15 under the speed limit next to someone and back up traffic. When someone like myself comes up behind them with 10+ cars riding his ass that person thinks he should brake check them and get the plate # and call them in. I have notice more people in the past 2 weeks driving 10-15 under in the left lane starting shit with people on the road for trying to get through. i want a scrolling sign on the car that i can type words in.

Rant over.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I think they may have passed a law that driving to slow in the left lane is illegal. So you can report those assholes back. Yes do call the CSP!

Also you sure it isn't someone out to get you? Are all three reported by three seperate people?

That's what always pissed me off about *CSP - that the public can police you without witnesses.... I think reporting a problem driver is fine but for th CSP to do ANYTHING ABOUT IT they must witness the same issue in order to pull you over and then do whatever it is they do!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sure it is 3 different people. the dates are months apart. I did however just think of this looking through my phone. I Reported this asshole on the 29th(last report) some old guy in a gold Legend that was doing 10 under the speedlimit right next to a simi truck. People were backed up and i got in the left lane behind the first car behind the guy in the legend. I kinda weged my way in because im pretty good about getting people to see that they are doing somethign wrong. After the guy brake checked the guy in front of me he moves over and lets me by then fell in behind me. I got behind him and he brake checked me HARD so when this happens i jump up to about the distance the previous guy was to him. Brake check and a finger. keep in mind this is all at 60-65 in a 75 and traffic in front of the 2 cars is pulling away and the simi is getting pissed and trying to slow down and speed up cause the guys about in his blind spot. The simi slows down and myself and 5 other cars brake off on the right and i hit resume on my cruise The guy in the legend sped up to try blocking me in. I slow down and fall behind him because im not about to mess with the guy in the right lane...Hes in the correct lane so i always make sure not to cut those guys off or drive close to them. The guy in the legend brake checks me again so i get back in the right trying not to come unglued and the next guy comes up behind him and brake check...Well that gave me a slot and i jump in front of the guy so i pass and get back over and the guy comes up next to me takes a F'n picture of me and gives me the finger. He jumps in behind me and starts riding my ass in the right lane so i speed up to about 5 over and pass a car on the right. I get back over and the guy cant wedge in so he drives right next to me and brake checks the guy whos been fallowing me. i pass again and he gets distracted. were about at the windsor exit and he flys by me. I snapped a pic and tried to find my phone to call him in(dash doesnt have the letters on the #'s so i had to dig out my other phone) I called him in! he gave up on figting with people and the group of traffic i was now in passed him. He fallowed me over off the exit. The reason i remember this is i havent called in anything in a long time and this guy was on his phone after he took my pic....I had to get his plate when he fallowed me off the exit cause my picture wasnt clear enough and i had a convo with the lady on *csp about how this is becoming a huge trend and how i stopped calling cause nothing ever happens. She said shes been noticing the reduced speed and increase in agressive drivers.

I cant wait for the truck so i can tap on peoples back window with the stinger LOL JK

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that a lot...

I called and left a VM for the officer on the letter and called *csp to ask them about what happens with 3 reports or more. I guess i wont hear back tel monday(guess she forgot its a holiday) and i told her Id LOVE to come in and meet with an officer to talk about the problem. I have somone road rage with me once a day but then again im on the road about 100 miles a day or more.

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

This is BS
Colorado Statutes 42-4-1013. Passing lane - definitions - penalty

(1) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle in the passing lane of a highway if the speed limit is sixty-five miles per hour or more unless such person is passing other motor vehicles that are in a nonpassing lane or turning left, or unless the volume of traffic does not permit the motor vehicle to safely merge into a nonpassing lane.

(2) For the purposes of this section:

(a) "Nonpassing lane" means any lane that is to the right of the passing lane if there are two or more adjacent lanes of traffic moving in the same direction in one roadway.

(b) "Passing lane" means the farthest to the left lane if there are two or more adjacent lanes of traffic moving in the same direction in one roadway; except that, if such left lane is restricted to high occupancy vehicle use or is designed for left turns only, the passing lane shall be the lane immediately to the right of such high occupancy lane or left-turn lane.

(3) A person who violates this section commits a class A traffic infraction.

So as said here

(1) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle in the passing lane of a highway if the speed limit is sixty-five miles per hour or more unless such person is passing other motor vehicles that are in a nonpassing lane or turning left, or unless the volume of traffic does not permit the motor vehicle to safely merge into a nonpassing lane.

the volume of traffic doesnt matter if everyones staying on the right and passing on the left because the open lane will let people pass the cars needed and faster moving traffic will be passing as needed and getting back over. If the lane was open and people were doign what they needed then i know first hand i would be much more relaxed and in less of a hurry if everyone was doing this as needed and i didnt have to deal with people driving slow in the passing lane slamming on the brakes because i came up at the speedlimit and they freak out.

I know this is different then ours but how hard is this to read...The state law part is bright freaking yellow and it says STATE LAW. They read that CSP one thats blue and reads like my post above.

My friend living in the UK was telling me about how if a car comes up on you and your in the left lanes and you dont move You get the ticket...It should be that way here.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Um....3 instances, take a hint and stop driving like an idiot. Life is too short to get worked up over road rage. Speeding and changing lanes doesn't get you there any faster in traffic. I laugh at people that weave in and out and I'm sitting right next to them light after light.

Keep us updated on what happens with *CSP. I've called twice and wondered if anything ever happened.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
These "incidents" must have been pretty serious for you to recieve 3 reports from the CSP. I've been involved with more road rage incidents myself than I care to admit, and have never recieved anything from the CSP. Over the past couple of years i've learned to chill out and not be so reactive when somebody cuts me off or tailgates me. It only takes one finger to start a chain reaction of events that somebody will regret later on.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Don't qoute me on this (FJ Cruzer might have a correct answer) but I have always felt that all of your interaction with state and local police is tracked and kept in your record. So when an officer pulls you over he can see how many times you have had interaction with police or your vehicle has been called into the police. It is my opinion that when you get pulled over that they look up your vehicle and see how often you are "mentioned". They use this to decide how to interact with you during the pull over. If you have very little on record they tend to be a bit nicer, if there is a longer sheet even if it is not convictions they tend to be more of an ass and you are more likely to get a ticket. Just my :2cents:. It is not even fair I know. So if you have a tendency to do this and have been called in on then you get pulled over one day they give you a ticket. Again just an opinion.

That being said I think we should have some big decals of that sign in the post above printed up so we can stick them on the back of the tailgate. This way when I am forced to pass a slow moving car on the right side of a 2 lane highway (and it happens quite a bit) as I move back over right in front of them they can see the sign. Agreed?:D Alright who has a vinyl printer?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Um....3 instances, take a hint and stop driving like an idiot. Life is too short to get worked up over road rage. Speeding and changing lanes doesn't get you there any faster in traffic. I laugh at people that weave in and out and I'm sitting right next to them light after light.
While I agree with you about speeding and weaving in traffic I do not think the OP is referring so much to this as about people traveling in the left lane under the posted speed limit or well below the "flow of traffic" speed.

Although I have never seen him drive. :D

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Brandon's remark is worth consideration, but Russell I agree with you 100%. Sometimes there are people in traffic who just frankly shouldn't be there, and incite poor behavior in everyone else.

Some people just act like assholes on the highway to act like assholes...the guy you describe in the Legend in particular.

So there's really no way to say whether it's better to deal with it, or better to get the hell out of the way.

If they're in front of you, they can make themselves your problem. If they're behind you, anything they do is their fault.

You could always use the ol' "I think he might have a gun!" :rofl: Because nothing else is gonna get the CSP out there.

I was almost in two accidents within five minutes of each other, yesterday, the first because one asshat decided to blow his red light in to a right turn, assuming I wouldn't be in his lane. The second was because some road tampon blasted past me (I drive right), hauled ass up to the guy who previously almost sideswiped me (who was now going slow in the right lane), and then as she began to pass the asshat, I drop in behind her to go around the now-slow guy, and she downshifts and suddenly drops back behind the guy's rear bumper, forcing an equally sudden evasive maneuver on my part. I was so pissed I almost passed both these asshats on the shoulder.

I don't think it was malicious on their part tho, just stupidity and ignorance...so after they're out of sight, they're out of mind as well, and I chalk them up as NDFs and move on. I used to get all pissy and give people the finger or whatever, now, if people ride my ass for no good reason (usually because they're on their cell phone), I let off the gas until I see them brake-check themselves...and if I have to pass them, I do it and move on--at that point they are no longer my problem.

Only once have I ever called anyone in...it was someone pulling a particularly wide trailer through Glenwood Canyon on I-70, when construction had both directions sharing the same side of the highway. The guy's trailer kept drifting across the center, every damn turn...I'd drop way back, in case he hit someone and I got tangled in it. Problem in Glenwood Canyon is, there's hardly any cell service, so my calls were brief, full of static, and by the time there was cell service, the guy took the first exit and the problem was gone.

:rolleyes:

I was in Whitehorse years ago (maybe 15 yrs?), and experienced the wonders of small-town-Canada pedestrian crossing...look at traffic, extend a hand, wait a moment, and people let you go. It was awesome. It was described to me like this..."here, right-of-way is something you have and give away. There, right-of-way is something you take."

I try to practice that mindset. Granted it works better on the open road with semi drivers, but sometimes even Dick and Jane Asshat get it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
"Keep right except to pass" is no more difficult to read than "Right Lane must turn right", or "Yield", or "Stop" or any other sign. The problem is that there are many on the road that think the rules are for others, not themselves.

Sadly, at least from my observations here in the Springs, our police officers are often as guilty of this as the average motorist. It is hard to expect the average person to obey the laws and rules when the "professionals" are setting bad examples.

I have seen the same thing done on the interstate by our CSP officers, driving in the left lane at 65-70. They call it "traffic calming". I call it breaking the rules.

I'll be curious to hear what import the letter has. My feeling is that it is a letter, and just that. Nothing enforceable in any way.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I have seen the same thing done on the interstate by our CSP officers, driving in the left lane at 65-70. They call it "traffic calming". I call it breaking the rules.
LOL, the old "Police chase" where everyone is afraid to pass the officer. :lmao: I have enough balls to pass when they are going under the speed limit. Once you get in front of them it is wide open road, kinda nice.

Remember that Officers are just doing what they are supposed to. Act respectful and you are treated the same (in my case). Even though you are getting a ticket stay nice (cause I know I was wrong), make no excuses, thank them for their service. I've been let off of tickets on my court date due to comments by the officer on the ticket.

A traffic officer might have to save your life someday, one thing that makes me respect who they are and the responsibility they hold.

·
Registered
746 Posts
LOL, the old "Police chase" where everyone is afraid to pass the officer. :lmao: I have enough balls to pass when they are going under the speed limit. Once you get in front of them it is wide open road, kinda nice.
My point being that they are in the LEFT lane, not passing, despite the "Keep right except to pass". Not setting a good example, IMO. I just think it is hypocrisy to set a bad example then enforce the rules. Fortunately in Colorado, unlike some other states, passing on the right is allowed on multilane roads.

·
7,735 Posts
I like the way they do it in california.. random shootings on the highway generally keeps people moving along cause nobody knows who's armed.

Seriously tho... I wish we could use paintball guns to mark the assholes of the highway.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
The drive from Loveland all the way into Denver feels more like a road race than just passing through. I have been in the right lane with the cruise set at 78 and had people ride my ass so close you couldn't even se their headlights.

I try to never get boxed in behind a semi because I cannot stand to be driving blind. I need tobeable to see what is at least a mile in front of me or I get twitchy. Attempting to merge into left lane traffic with a blinker is a crap shoot. I have been in "race lines" where the flow of left lane traffic was more than 85 making it difficult to get back in the right lane with enough room in traffic to slow down and not cause everyone behind me to hit their brakes.

Come to think of it.. I think that is the way it is all the way to Pueblo..

And the funniest thing is the ONLY time I have been pulled over in CO was for not using my blinker to get into the right lane just before the I70 exit. (There was a whole thread on this) But it was OK because the lady trooper was SMOKIN" Hot!!

So Cal freeways.. I have been in traffic flows doing 90 with a CHP right next to me. AND have seen them pull people over for going to slow on the freeway.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts

Keep us updated on what happens with *CSP. I've called twice and wondered if anything ever happened.
:rofl:

Its not the traffic, its the idiots in the left lane doing 10 under the speed limit. Hell, you're probably one of them. He posted the state law, and all of the sub sections to go with it. Explain how he is in the wrong by passing on the right (at the speed limit), if theres someone cruising along @ slower than the posted speed limit in the left lane? Re-read the laws then come back and post ;)

I'm a firm believer on this as well, and it annoys the hell out of me that people sit in the left lane going slower than the speed limit when (as previously stated) theres signs every 5 miles "STATE LAW: KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" or "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT". Its common sense, and unforutunately you do not have to have any to get a drivers license. Watch some videos of people in Europe driving and how respectful they are to the left lane law.THAT is how it should be. We wouldnt have half the traffic congestion bullshit and accidents if people would obide be the simple laws, but do people do so? No.

I've driven with/ridden with Russell many times. He hits the speed limit, then sets the cruise and leaves it there. I've witnessed it over, and over again.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The issue i have now after a night of thinking and trying to calm down is that Any idiot can call in someone and its recorded. IMO its heresay because this person has nothing to do with law enforcement and is nothing more then i am driving down the road. For them to record something like that is stupid. I could take any plate number i see on the highway that the guy is driving too fast or too slow or even just looks like a tool and report him as doing something wrong and he now has a mark on his record.

That taffic calming is BS get out of the left lane or allow a regular person like you or me the ability to pull over this officer thats calming traffic and ticket them for impeeding traffic. I was once told its 3pts for passing on the right if the officer wanted to issue it but few do.

This topic is the only reason i have ever thought about being a state patrol officer because its getting out of hand. Cops dont see it because as soon as the cops around everyone freezes. Cars move over to let the cop by and slow down so they dont have to be around them. Put an officer in my car and have him ride with me on the highway for a week and i bet more tickets would be issued then he has all month.

I havent got a call back yet so im guessing this officer has a 4 day weekend. When i go to the shop you better believe i will have *csp on speed dial for every idiot who brake checks me, Gives me the finger or is driving like a tard. I have a feeling i will dial it once with a few reports in that one phone call.

·
Registered
878 Posts
If it makes you feel better ... when you read the number and type of citations CSP is issuing, the distracted driver tickets actual out number speeding tickets! And the number of lane violation tickets has gone way up!

Sometimes a car enthusiast that just happens to be an educated driver, just stands out, and sometime gets undeserving attention!

Usually it seams the folks expressing the complaint know the least about the activity they are filing a complaint on!

I think its ironic that talking on the cell phone is the most common distracted driver offense issue in accident investigations ... yet they encourage you to call *csp in "Safety Enforcement Zones" ... as soon as someone has a wreck while calling one of these hotlines and sues, the program will be over! Not if but when!

I get it for reporting Drunk Drivers that are obviously Drunk but properly define "Agressive" before telling people to report it ...

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I get it for reporting Drunk Drivers that are obviously Drunk but properly define "Agressive" before telling people to report it ...
Yeah :rofl:...

Aggressive:

Maniacs that drive faster than me.

Dullards who passive-aggressively drive slower than me, when I'm behind them.

Crazies who cut me off when they were doing fine in the pack of traffic behind me.

Lunatics who weave in and out of traffic around me, just to get ahead. We were going an appropriate speed already, why didn't they just join the pack?

Idiots who change lanes without signaling.

Adrenaline junkies who accelerate faster than me from the stoplights.

Troublemakers who accelerate slower than me from stoplights, when I'm behind them. They're messing with me, I know they are!

Fawk it, everyone else on the road is aggressive, I'm the only one who's a victim!

:rofl:

<--that's about what it seems like, out there :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts