TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is to all you mechanica out there. What is the temperature of the gas when it combusts in the cylindar of a regular car? I can't find any info on it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
This is to all you mechanica out there. What is the temperature of the gas when it combusts in the cylindar of a regular car? I can't find any info on it. Thanks
It varies widely from engine to engine and the flame varies in temp as it propagates across the top of the piston to full combustion pressure. It also depends of compression ratio, and if the engine is supercharged or naturally aspirated, how much boost etc. There is no easy answer for you.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Well.. according to this link:

http://www.answers.com/topic/combustion

Combustion temperatures of gasoline when measured at the flame are around 2,327 Kelvin which converts to about 3728 degrees farenheit.

That's pretty fricken hot, assuming I didn't screw up the conversion or units of measure(K standing for Kelvin). Not sure how much range of variation there is to that temperature... but it makes sense from those temperatures why water-injection might be used in a high RPM motor to keep temps down with such constant combustion.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The average car? i guess a V6 no supercharger... 87 octane

1 - 4 of 4 Posts