TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right now my truck sits pretty much level with 8" shackles in the rear, the angle however is terrible. I'm going to try and drop a couple inches out of the front and obviously corresponding amount in the rear.
Rather than go to a 4" shackle, I was thinking about welding a new shackle hanger in the back to move the shackle hanger up a couple inches on the truck, put my shackle angle at 45ish, and retain the 8" shackles for that much more droop.
Something I am missing or is it as straightforward as I visualize?

·
Registered
460 Posts
no genius on trucks but from industrial design engineering school i can tell you this much. the spring is arc shaped and pivots on the front mount. just assuming for illustration purposes the spring stays in the in about the arc shape all the time. when the axles gets further form the frame the spring pivots down with the shackle holding the rear in alignment. so the farther back the shackle to frame mount the less drop it has. the farther forward the shackle mount the more drop it has. so assuming right now that your shackle is at a 90 degree angle with the frame you are not getting maximum articulation and cycle of the suspension. moving it forward would increase drop. it would not increase the compression, however the shackle mounted at an angle instead of 90 degrees, the leaf extends behind the mount and allows the axle to come close the the frame with less resistance. i can sketch up a quick drawing if your not following me

so basically in simple terms, mount farther forward = increased drop and decreased distance between axle and frame making the truck sit lower to the ground. but IMO i would not go more than 45 degrees, with the length shackles you have the last thing you want is the mount to far forward and when "stuffing" a tire the rear eye to hit on the frame.

i could be incorrect, correct me if i am, it wont be the first time, but im pretty sure thats a good elementary/ middle school version of the information i know. hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
45* sounds far to angled to me. Why dont you jus get smaller shackles and more leaves?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats all I'm talking about renegade... just want to make sure there isn't something obvious I'm missing.
g96t- I could just drop the shackles, its not that big of a deal to move the bolt holes up 4"... but if in theory shackle here shackle there is the same why not max out the droop with a big ass shackle? Either way I'm dropping the height approx 2", prefer to do it as functional as possible as opposed to just easy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i wasnt tryin to insult your intelligence about it, just attempting to explain it cuz i wont sure exactly what you where asking. in theory moving it forward would work great, i might error on the safe side and do just 40 degrees or so, then if need be you could move your bolt hole up 1" and you would get a 1/2" change in height. hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, plans are always tentative- depending on what the front does, balance shackle angle and length. But if I've learned anything, its that I don't know shit and often times there is something that is not obvious that people have experienced.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Multi-tasking while game is on.
You got the springs on yet?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Wes, if you want to make some new shackles let me know. We made a set for Rob the other night on the mill and they turned out perfect. Digital readouts make things easy :)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sisyphus said:
Wes, if you want to make some new shackles let me know. We made a set for Rob the other night on the mill and they turned out perfect. Digital readouts make things easy :)
Damn, spiff tools. Thanks but my 8's work fine- if I really needed to I could just redrill a half inch hole and cut them in half, but I would rather keep the length. I'm just going to reweld a new shackle hanger up about 2" on the frame and lay them down some once I get the front lowered... if I even can.

I think I'm going to spend the little bit of money I've got saved up on a hf bender. Won't be super duper, but it will work and I've got about 50' of 1.5 galvanized beside the house. Make a decent bumper, some slider/bumper hoops, shit like that. Figure enough people I know can use it it will be more than worth it.

Rob- they are easy enough to make. If you can get up here Chris or me can probably help, or just get some 1.5 or 2" 3/8 flat stock and drill the shit. Need washers on the bottom or beat to fit. I'm not pushing the roomy for anymore lathe parts till after I get the welder back down here ;)
Did you keep or lose the overload? Idea I got from Mike (cut off overload) seems to work just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
NorCalTaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing