TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my computer at the house (about 7 years old) We finally upgraded from windows ME to XP. Yeah yeah ME sucks but we hardly ever used the thing. With ME we could get on line (dial up) with out any issues, but now once we installed XP, it doesn’t seem like the modem and XP like each other. Usually it’ll error our saying something about not being able to find a dial tone. I thought something might have gone bad during the upgrade. So I unload XP and reformatted the machine and reloaded ME, and was able to get online fine. Then upgraded to XP again, and tried to get online and it failed.

I checked all the modem settings and everything looks good, even says modem is working fine. Maybe the modem is not compatible with XP?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
-David

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
You may just need to get an updated driver for that modem that's compatible with XP.

·
Registered
613 Posts
1) Is the modem displayed in device manager?

Right Click on Mycomputer -> Properties -> Hardware tab -> Device manager

It should be listed under modems.

2) If it is listed, right click on the actual modem -> Properties -> diagnostics tab -> Query modem

If this is successful, the hardware is OK.

Since the issue is dial-tone - test cable connection and replace cable?
Test verify that your connectivity software (AOL?) is loaded OK. maybe a reinstall is neccessary?

Hope this helps!

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
David,

If none of the other suggestions work, try different COM Ports. The one it is set to use now may be used by something else.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oppositeboy said:
David,

If none of the other suggestions work, try different COM Ports. The one it is set to use now may be used by something else.
I'm doing to look up the model number tonight and try and find an updated driver.

Also when I went to Device manager > Ports

It list

COM1
COM2
LPT1

When I went to see what port the modem is pointing to it show COM3

I tried to put it on COM2 but it said this port was in use.

If I change ports where do I start?

Thanks
-David

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
When I played with modems and hyperterminal, COM1 and COM4 worked the most for me. You may have to play around and change the COM ports on other devices for it to work. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Davidtaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing