TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reason you can't pull the air box and replace it with a universial conical filter hooked up to hte stock intake tubing? I am sure some minor modification would be needed but is it possible to do cheaply? I wdon't really want to spend the ~$200-$300 for an intake when I could use a $40 cone. I'm not looking for a performace increase so spare me your deckplate talk (I have one now anyhow:p ). What I really need is to make some extra room in the engine compartment and the big ass air box is blocking the way.
So far I have come accross threads saying it won't work but not why.
Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Is there any reason you can't pull the air box and replace it with a universial conical filter hooked up to hte stock intake tubing? I am sure some minor modification would be needed but is it possible to do cheaply? I wdon't really want to spend the ~$200-$300 for an intake when I could use a $40 cone. I'm not looking for a performace increase so spare me your deckplate talk (I have one now anyhow:p ). What I really need is to make some extra room in the engine compartment and the big ass air box is blocking the way.
So far I have come accross threads saying it won't work but not why.
Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated.
And have a super hot air intake?

Where would the MAF go?

Seems like a major hackjob to me. You pay so much for a truck but cheap out on something that provides the life for your motor?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And have a super hot air intake?

Where would the MAF go?

Seems like a major hackjob to me. You pay so much for a truck but cheap out on something that provides the life for your motor?
MAF would stay where it is now. THe cone would just replace the box. THe intake air would be the same temp as any other open element air intake system, it would just use the stock plastic intake hose instead of some blinging crome intake tube.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think you can buy a MAF adaptor for a conical filter. Probably check ebay. You will probably need to make a bracket to support the weight of the filter (maybe something that would bolt on the inner fender in the same location as the stock airbox mount). Also, may need to mod for vacuum lines and atp (I think that is what that probe is that goes in the side of the airbox). Not sure how good this setup would be. I actually bought a complete intake off of ebay. It is made similar to the AEM. Of course the filter may not be the same quality. The intake is nice and for only about $35 shipped, I can afford a better filter later. Contrary to what many people post, I didn't loose any power or mpg. Feels like a little better throttle response and maybe just alittle more power (not much). It is about what I expected. BTW, I have a 1996 2.7 liter regular cab.

·
Registered
36 Posts
worked for me

I went to Auto Zone bought the air filter and the Adapter made a mount for the MAF and done took about 2 hours works great little more power mpg went up

·
Registered
387 Posts
You can buy a conical filter with a 3 inch opening. Buy whatever you want. You can get an adapter for a 3 inch opening at any auto parts store. The MAF stays right where its at. You do have to make a bracket to support the filter. You can make one a bolt it to where the original filter bolts on. AEM has a dry filter with a 3 inch opening and it is 5 inches long.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
thats a great idea that I have been tossing around lately.....I was contemplating moving my windshield washer reservoir inside the engine bay, near the old air box location.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
I didn't loose any power or mpg. Feels like a little better throttle response and maybe just alittle more power (not much).
If you did not gain any power or mpg, you did not gain any hp, making this mod inferior.

More hp = better gas mileage, as I have found in my writeup.

If anything you are just letting a whole lotta hot air in, which isn't good for your motor in the first place.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I said that it feels like a little more power. I definetly didn't loose any power. It is just hard to tell how much gain because I am still getting used to the new exhaust (installed before intake), which I believe works good with the intake. The filter is in the same location as the stock air box. It wouldn't take much to make a box for the filter so the air is drawn in from the fender instead of the engine bay, but I am happy with the way it is for now. I think whatever little gain is there is all that should be expected from a NA 2.7 liter. It is enough to feel alittle difference.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I went and picked up a universial conical filter with a 3" inlet tonight and a 3" maf adapter as well. I got some $19.99 ricer filter but I figure this way it was cheap if it didn't work and I can always up grade later.

Turns out the maf adapter won't bolt up to a taco maf. I ended up just unbolting the box and sliding the filter directly onto the maf. The filter seems to fit like a charm, although I haven't fired the truck yet. I am just planning on drilling and tapping a hole on the base of the filter (hard plastic near where that hanger wire is wrapped around it) for a barbed fitting that I can attach the vacume hose to.
Am I crazy or should that work? Here's a picture, still need to make a provision for the vacume hose.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Like stated before, I can feel a difference. The tube is the same as the tube in a "name brand" kit I looked at. I can upgrade the filter and have as good of an intake as the "name brand". It was a gamble ordering online like that, but it paid off. Unless filters suddenly go up to over $100, I will have a good kit for cheap. Also as stated before, fabbing an air box will not take much if I feel it is needed later.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Like stated before, I can feel a difference. The tube is the same as the tube in a "name brand" kit I looked at. I can upgrade the filter and have as good of an intake as the "name brand". It was a gamble ordering online like that, but it paid off. Unless filters suddenly go up to over $100, I will have a good kit for cheap. Also as stated before, fabbing an air box will not take much if I feel it is needed later.
neo-
looks like amsoil recently released replacement filters for k&n FIPK and the like... if you wanted to upgrade, you may want to look into those coned shape nano filters - it may be the perfect replacement.

i did a mod similar to the one the OP did on my trusty old isuzu pick up. worked like a charm, i had to fab a bracket up, but i did not have to worry about plumbing in any vaccum lines or anything.

can this mod work? apparently so.... would i do it on my taco? nope... spent too much money on the truck to do a mod like this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
ainokea
I was thinking about either the Amsoil or the AEM. The current filter is still new, so it will be alright for a while. Just have to decide which one when I replace it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I just stumbled across this thread.

I did the same thing to mine a while back; I used a K&N cone and bolted it directly to the maf. I used a piece of 1/8 x1" stock and bent a bracket that connects to the wheel well tub and then bolted to the MAF using the factory bolts. I then tied that vacuum line back into the cone by using a piece of plastic tube that fit the vacuum line perfectly, I then drilled a slightly smaller hole in the base of the filter. Stuck the plastic tube in and plugged in the vacuum line. I was going to seal it, but I haven’t had a need the vacuum line is tight and doesn’t come loose. If you do silicone that fitting use sensor safe silicone or give it a good 48 hours to dry.

This mod rocks!!! I notice a good increase in power between 2500 and 4000 rpm. Throttle response at low RPM is much better, so it works great for crawling. And the sound is sick, it sounds great!

One thing that will be needed is shielding, I went through some deep water over the weekend and my fan kicked a bunch of water up on the filter, I am working on a shield now to fix that issue.

Someone mentioned the air being too hot under the hood. I don’t believe that (I know he ran a test and posted his findings) my thinking is this. Air cleaners have been under the hood for years and years. So I don’t think that to be an issue. Plus it’s not like the air in the wheel well is that much cooler, after all it’s right over the hot brakes and it faces backwards. The stock intake is like breathing through a straw with your nose plugged. This open-faced filter allows tons more air into the motor. I think the increase in air mass out ways the increase in temp… but I am not a rocket scientist so I could be completely wrong. If it becomes a problem, I will put some louvers in the hood.

Ohh yeah.....people act like this is a bad mod and a waste of money...... well I guess.....all mods come down to that. I mean i lifted my truck to do what i wanted, but that must have been a waste of money, i mean if it was needed toyota would have done it themselves.... right? Whatever!!

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
I dont think its worth the time and trouble. Do a deckplate mod and use a performace airfilter and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
to each there own.

But it took all of like 15 min to do this. (not counting drive time to and from store)

And it did not cost much more than a deckplate and high pro filter. I spent 40 bucks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I made my own for my 22re. I used thick walled black pvc 3" diameter with a thick rubber elbow. I figured that the increase in diameter would affet velocity too much because it would counter the loss of pressure with less restriction and a lower temp as a result of the larger diameter. I used heat sheilding for the pipe and elbow, made a bracket which comes off of the radiator support and body to hold the vafm and use the stock airbox with a k&n filter. I did move the box closer to the radiator with the pipe and was able to still use the stock opening for feeding in cold air. I also drilled a 3" hole in the other side and ran a flexible plastic pipe to the opening for the wires in the side of the fender. I used an adapter from pepboys and a foam filter on the outside of that. i have fiberglass fenders so the inner plastic isnt there so its fresh air. The truck breathes easier and my intake temps are probably as good as they are going to get.

I did have a conical filter on my truck before going back to the stock airbox. I felt the intake temps would offset the flow increase maybe do less for the engine. I also noticed with the cheapo conical from pepboys that there wasmore dirt in the tube than would normally be there. With the k&n it isnt really a problem so far. Airfilters are simple but when it comes to engine life, you really want the best one.

I feel the best one is the airfilters offered by inchworm. I plan to get one. I ahve seen umerous writeups on these and they seem to really perform well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The way I see it Toyota and Nissan have been in a battle between the Tacoma and the Frontier for years to see who can get the most hp and Torque published for that years model....

so your gonna put some chinese mall kiosk vendors 29.99 inferior airfilter on a new motor that will let in all kinds of crap... ruining seals and shitting the valves for maybe 2 hp:confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts