TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and my dad have be casually lookin around for a older model truck to have as a lil fixer-upper and i have pursuaded him that toyota is the truck 2 get so he has found a 88 4runner 4x4 v6 auto fully loaded with everything imaginable for 1200. it has roughly 200k and seems 2 run good, has a lil tick at beginnin but quickly fades. the only problem is it wont go into 3rd gear unless its warmed up. we talked to the guys at the local dealer and they said it could be a simple with shifter itself or need a new transmission. it has removable top and is in better shape exterior and interior than most vehicles its age. also comes with a roof mount light bar with 4 offroad lights not yet installed. dad claims it would meet her purpose well, get him 2 and from work and could pull boat down 2 beach with it. (17ft center console) so how about sum advice from yall who know about these older 4runners
thanks
RENEGADE76254

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
did you post this on Pirate as well? We will need more info as in 22RE or 3.slow.

You'll really need to think about the cost of a used or rebuilt tranny if it's not going into 3rd gear. If it's the 3.slow you'll need to think about rebuilding the motor as these should click like a 22RE.

I bought an 86 Runner for $1500 but everthing worked well. I've rebuilt a 22R before so having 230K wasn't a big deal to me...plus I plan on putting a 4.3L in it in the future.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a v6, not sure exaclty what label it is. the local yota dealer said it would be 65 bucks 2 doin a "inspection" like they do on any vehicle traded in to make it toyota certified used. it wont be toyota certified used but it will tell us just about any and everything we need 2 know the mechanic says. dad said if things go well and he can sell his car he will take it 2 yota for inspection then make a decision based on what they find. any more advice???

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had one of those and wish I never sold it. So many options, and very good offroad. The only problem I had was the rear window switch. Easy to put a body lift on, and you can fix the sagy ass with longer shackles, du. Oh, the gas tank is in a weird place. I never changed it but might be something to do if you plan to get crazy with it. Also if you do lift it and put 33's on it you will want to modify the intake with a filter charger, and possibly change the muffler. The V6 is a damn strong motor but slow as hell. If you sell it in the future look me up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts