TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I was crazy about the new Tacomas but I'm not. I hate the electronic transfer case, the composite bed with all the holes it, and why does the exhaust pipe hang lower than the crossmember?! I've kinda had my eye open for a clean 2004 Tacoma. I recently learned an old friend is selling an '04 bare bones Tacoma. It's clean with about 40k miles. No power windows or locks, no TRD, no sliding rear window. I have lockrites in my old 4Runner. Is the Tacoma too light in the rear for an automatic locker? Should I get ARB or some other selectable locker or just get a TRD Tacoma? What gear ratio would it have? (put 4.88 in my 4Runner.) Will I miss the power stuff and sliding rear window? Can I get manual hubs? I'd much rather buy a new vehicle but it is getting doubtful that any company will ever build what I want. If Toyota built a new '89 4Runner I'd buy another one.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
What's your budget? ARB's front and rear is the ideal setup. However I have an auto locker in the rear and aussie up front with no issues. Plus with some buds you can do it yourself.

http://www.ncttora.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3601

Stock gears are 4:10 ratio.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You might want to pursue doing a Solid Axle Swap with ARB lockers. That is my plan. 2004 was the last good year in my opinion. Engine wise, style looks, etc... The new ones are just too plastic?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd say you will probably miss the electric options (locks/windows). I do, but not bad enough to warrant buying something with a payment. (Well that and I got a SFA). That being said, If the price is right go for it and add what you want. You can probably get power locks and windows from someone here who is parting out or a salvage yard, as well as a sliding window. I bought mine from a guy on NC4x4 and put it in myself. It's a piece of cake to do and I love having the openness.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I wish I was crazy about the new Tacomas but I'm not. I hate the electronic transfer case, the composite bed with all the holes it, and why does the exhaust pipe hang lower than the crossmember?! I've kinda had my eye open for a clean 2004 Tacoma. I recently learned an old friend is selling an '04 bare bones Tacoma. It's clean with about 40k miles. No power windows or locks, no TRD, no sliding rear window. I have lockrites in my old 4Runner. Is the Tacoma too light in the rear for an automatic locker? Should I get ARB or some other selectable locker or just get a TRD Tacoma? What gear ratio would it have? (put 4.88 in my 4Runner.) Will I miss the power stuff and sliding rear window? Can I get manual hubs? I'd much rather buy a new vehicle but it is getting doubtful that any company will ever build what I want. If Toyota built a new '89 4Runner I'd buy another one.
first of all id like to say , i love my 04, im very happy with it. i think the power accesories are nice but to each his own, i wish i hadnt gotten the trd version, the skidplates and suspension isnt great and ive changed most of it anyways(but the locker makes up for it)...but you could throw an arb in there if you want selectable.lots of guys run automatic lockers, but i wouldnt. im going to run 4.56's soon, ive got 33's but with 4.10 gears it doesnt cut it. if it wasnt a daily driver i would put 4.88's in it. you can put manual hub spindles and cv's on it to convert to manual hubs if you want.blah blah blah

1 - 5 of 5 Posts