TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MY BAD FOR POSTING IN LATE TACOMA....MOD MOVE THIS BEFORE I GET SOME FLAME!

So theres a truck forsale with around 275k on ebay....01 x-cab 3.4L 5 speed....seller states clutch/throw out bearing as well as timing belt done 30k miles ago.....The truck looks very clean inside and out....Hes asking $8500 and im in the market for a cheap used truck.....Should I just plain stay away from something with this much milage? I asked for a leak down compression test to be done....other than that if it drives nice I'm considering it....Lookin for some thought good or bad....thanks guys.

·
Registered
102 Posts
well i would definitly have an inspection done by a shop before buying, but being that its on ebay that might not be possible. so i wouldn't, but thats just me. also sorry to be an ass but this is the wrong folder. late tacomas = 05 and up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I wouldnt give him 1500, that truck has to have tons of problems

·
Registered
60 Posts
no doubt the truck will probally run 4 ever but I think if you look long enough and hard enough you are bound to find one I would stay away, also ebay is definitely the wrong place to look for a tacoma the price's seem to go to high
that is just my :2cents:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Depending on how it has been cared for is what makes the difference. I am at 318,000 and have had only small issues, just starting at 302,000 when I had my valves adjusted. My motor, transmission and running gear are all in very good shape so maintenance matters more than mileage, IMHO... :D

I have wheeled the snot out of mine for the last 8 years so if this one has only seen the highway, it might be in excellent mechanical condition.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
meithkiller said:
Depending on how it has been cared for is what makes the difference. I am at 318,000 and have had only small issues, just starting at 302,000 when I had my valves adjusted. My motor, transmission and running gear are all in very good shape so maintenance matters more than mileage, IMHO... :D

I have wheeled the snot out of mine for the last 8 years so if this one has only seen the highway, it might be in excellent mechanical condition.

wow. You hear stories like this...then like my dad had an older taco that he had to replace the tranny (AT) at 96k.

Spend the money to have someone really look at the truck (tranny, diff, motor) before purchase

·
Registered
663 Posts
Muddin taco2131 said:
wow. You hear stories like this...then like my dad had an older taco that he had to replace the tranny (AT) at 96k.

Spend the money to have someone really look at the truck (tranny, diff, motor) before purchase

What year was the older Taco? Mine is a '96.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
An 01 with 275K is alot of miles? My 03 has 39K. $8500 is alot for the miles on it. If it had 75K miles then it would be a good buy. I know you can do better than that this deal. Time is something we have to savior. Don't jump on the first sapposedly good deal that comes along.

·
Registered
651 Posts
that is super overpriced homie. keep shopping. and try not to buy it off ebay. im sure you can find one for 150-200k for under 10k (maybe even a dcab)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
sounds alittle high, but not outragous. offer him 6500 and see what happens. the good thing about having that many miles on only an 01 is that you know most of the miles had to be highway miles, which is the easiest kind of miles to have. better than if the truck just sat there with only 20,000 miles and only city driving. that and main wear items have been replaced. so if all service has been done on time i would be ok with that truck for a good price. it's a newer nicer truck for the price of an older not so nice truck.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You'd have to be completely out of your mind to buy anything with that many miles...

If you've got $8500 you can do a lot better than that!

Always invest a little money into carfax.com too when shopping around. You'd be horribly suprised what some people are trying to dump (i.e. lots of salvage titles).

·
Registered
552 Posts
My 01 Tacoma has 85,000 on it and that's alot to me! That mileage for an 01 would bother me. That's way to much money for an 01 with that kind of mileage. If it had a 100,000 or less I would be happy to find one for that price.Mike :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
275k is quite a bit especially for $8500 i cant really say it could be in great shape, what did he use it for and further more what are you going to use it for? i would just give him a low ball offer and leave it at that, thats kind of a high asking price regardless, you could get a much better deal else where.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
High miles, sight unseen, no touchy-feelie & EBay? In other words it's a pig in a poke. When in doubt, abstain.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Deffiently not worth it

·
Registered
324 Posts
have you tried offering them say..... $4500 or something crazy like that and see what happens, its worth a try.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE

It went for 7800 dollars.....I ended up buying an 02 TRD with 105k on it for 9700 bucks delievered from CT to MA...fabtech 3 inch lift on it and 4 new bfg A/T's on stock wheels.....New cv joints/full tune up.....needs a throw out bearing soon....little loud. Im gonna replace the clutch while Im there.....shes also gonna get a new timing belt and water pump since I couldnt seem to find out if it'd ever been changed......Im glad I didnt go with the 275k 01....I feel alot better spendin 9700 on something with 105k and a year newer + the few mods it has.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts