TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been looking at used tacomas for a while now.
Here's what I think I want:

regular cab, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, 4x4.

This would be my daily driver, but I would use it for light off roading - "expedition" style. That would mean camping, hiking and cycling trips. Also about one or twice a year I would try some more challanging off roading with two friends of mine (both land cruisers). No rock crawling.

Here are my questions:
1. Is 4 cylinder substantial engine? The only hauling I would do is motorcycle transportation. I would prefer good milage, plus I think it be cheaper and easier to maintain.
2. Is 5 speed ok for off roading? I hate automatics, and have never owned one.
3. Money is a big issue. I have been thinking about getting a 2 wheel drive one and then when I can afford, swaping parts from a wrecked 4x4. Has anyone done this? ( I would like to get one as new as possible, as I am tired of rusted bolts, and parts breaking due to material stress)
4. I am not sure what year I can afford yet, what are the big year changes - from what I've been looking it seemes that 95 was completley redisigned. Also was this the year they droped the bench seats. I don't like those...
5. any other tips?

Thanks
toolman

·
Registered
67 Posts
toolman said:
This would be my daily driver, but I would use it for light off roading - "expedition" style. That would mean camping, hiking and cycling trips. Also about one or twice a year I would try some more challanging off roading with two friends of mine (both land cruisers). No rock crawling.

Here are my questions:
1. Is 4 cylinder substantial engine? The only hauling I would do is motorcycle transportation. I would prefer good milage, plus I think it be cheaper and easier to maintain.
2. Is 5 speed ok for off roading? I hate automatics, and have never owned one.
3. Money is a big issue. I have been thinking about getting a 2 wheel drive one and then when I can afford, swaping parts from a wrecked 4x4. Has anyone done this? ( I would like to get one as new as possible, as I am tired of rusted bolts, and parts breaking due to material stress)
4. I am not sure what year I can afford yet, what are the big year changes - from what I've been looking it seemes that 95 was completley redisigned. Also was this the year they droped the bench seats. I don't like those...
5. any other tips?

Thanks
toolman
I have an '01 4cyl, reg cab, 4wd

1. I haul my bike and camping gear fine. It all has to go in the back, so you have to go to extra measures to keep it dry and safe from thieves. The 2.7 doesn't get much better mileage than the 3.4. Not much difference in maintenance except for the carrier bearing on the X-cab and maybe the timing belt on the V6.

2. Auto trans? You hate them, why talk about it.

3. It's been done. Have to start with a PreRunner 2wd and not a regular "mini" 2wd. Sounds like a big project to me, and you'd have to get the driveline for a good price to make it worthwhile.

4. Design changed in 95.5 with the Tacoma badge. Then again in 01 (minor changes) , but no regular cabs with V6 engine from that year on. '05 is totally redesigned. They still make the bench seats, but you can get buckets or swap some in.

5. Figure out what you can afford and find the newest, lowest mileage truck you can swing. Then make it the truck you want as you can afford it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think the truck you describe should suit you just fine. I own a V6, but I'm sure most 4 cyl owners would tell you it's a strong, solid motor. 5 speeds are fine for offroading. A little tricky on uphill starts and such, but you learn and adjust.
As to which model year/generation, I don't know if any generation has disticnt advantages over others. You'd probably find more affordable trucks if you look at older ones. The generation years were 95.5-97, 98-00, and 01-04.
I happen to prefer the way a first generation Taco looks. :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I've got a 98 reg. cab 2.7l 4x4 and I love it. It has plenty of power, all i need for a truck, it is incredibly reliable, and it does very well offroad. Space is a problem sometimes when i have a pasenger. When I go dirtbiking everything liek helmet, boots, etc. ahs to go inthe cab if I stop somewhere so it doesn't get jcked when if i had a ex. cab it could just go safely behind my seats. But anyways, i'm happy w/mine.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I generally like the 2.7 with the 5 speed. It works awesome off-road.
The only thing I do not like it is that it sometime lugs when going up very steep hills (with a ton of camping gear in the back) in 2-high or 4-high, and I have to go into 4-low to go up. A regear would probably fix the problem, I just have not done it yet.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Just so you know that they offer a V6 in the 95.5-97(1st gen tacos) reg. cabs. They(1st gen tacos) also had shorter stock leafs in the rear that were more prone to break.

I have a 99 reg cab w/ the 2.7 and a 5 speed. I get about 19/23mpg with 7" on 35" tires with 4:88 gears.

The 4x4 swap has been done a few times and can be done for 1.5-3k. Just buy a 4x4 and save you the money for mods.

Also the bench seats can be swapped for buckets for people doing seat swaps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 2001 2.7L 5-speed has been a "dream truck"! When I was looking, I did not think I would want a V6. But now I would not mind the extra power.
I have hauled mulch, sand, gravel, furniture and it has never "not" had enough power.
I am like you....I don't like auto. trans. either. I have owned a few,and they all crapped out on me! But if you drive in daily traffic, the auto would be a good choice.
If you will ever want 4x4, buy a 4x4 in the begining. To much hassle to try and convert a pre-runner....

Just my $.02

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey i have a 2.7 engine and have had no problems with it at all. The power is just right for my needs.(light hauling like you described) Gas mileage i have not noticed a major change....Mine is also an ex cab, so if you are at all worried about thieves, weather, etc then u might want to re think the reg cab and get a ex cab..

Pete

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used to own a '95 V6 4x4 Reg cab and it was my favorite by far (out of 6 Toy/Tacos). Lots of power, and reasonable economy, got 25 mpg one time on a bet. I am searching high and low for a first gen Xcab V6 4x4 and keep running across these, they are not expensive as most people, myself included, need the back seats. Toyota made the SX package with V6, 5spd, manual hubs, and bucket seats but no console.

I would post a picture but we didn't have a dig camera back then.

We used to put a Kawasaki Jetski, a standup, in the back, back it down the boat ramp until the tailgate was underwater, and slide it in, quick, easy, and didn't take up room in the garage.

I love my kids but remember good times without them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts