TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to say I'm really impressed with the 05 Taco and am considering one, but I do have some questions since I'm not familiar with the Toyota lineup.

I've tried searching here but havent come up with much about the 05's, especially in the way of first year hangups. I noticed a few complaints about some clunks from shock boots and or seatbelts. Also wind buffeting on what I assume to be the dealer accessor skidplate. But what I find really disturbing is the complaints about leaks! How broad of a problem is this? And overall would I be better waiting for the 06?

I have a couple other option questions that I dont quite trust the dealer on. I'm looking at a PreRunner w/offroad package, according to the salesman the e-locker isn't for use above 6mph? Surely he meant engagement but he said driving... is this correct?

He also said that due to the new computer setup you cannot change gears or tiresize? Sounds a bit fishy to me.... I've never run across a vehicle that could not be corrected for tires and or gearing.

Lastly, what is the difference between these two options? One is $650 and one is $800

Vehicle Stability Ctrl(VSC)+Traction Ctrl

Vehicle Stability Control(VSC) + Traction
-Control(Trac) W/Automatic Limited Slip Diff

Seems like they use brake modulation to simulate a LSD? If so that sounds like it would be the setup to have combined with an e-locker. Locker when you need it, quasi LSD the rest of the time.

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
I love my new Tacoma, but like any new vehical I have had a few minor correctable problems. I had the leak which was fixed. It was a bad seam near the A-pillar, and have heard from "tundra solutions" about quite a few people having this problem.

To engage the locker you have to stop shift into 4-lo and carfully proceed forward until it engages. (Light on the dash will stop blicking when it's engaged) The locker like any locker is fine in a straight line but you will have a lot of problems turning (because the outside wheel has to move faster than the inside wheel.) Unless your playing in sand or snow I would advise against going faster than 6 mph with the locker engaged or you can do some serious damage to your differential.
As for tires and gears he's full of it. I've already changed my tires to 32's BFG A/T. No problems. Gears not sure of but don't see why you couldn't.

You're right about the VSC. It does use brake modulation to slow a slipping wheel so it regains traction. So you could look at it like a poor mans LSD, but Toyota gives you the option to put in a real LSD for $150 bucks more. I got the 4x4 TRD Off Road Package that has the locker and VSC. Works good, but the VSC turns off when in 4-lo and when the locker is engaged. VSC stays on when in 4-Hi though. No LSD+Locker combo option though.

Hope that help!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the VSC worth the extra coin in your opinion?

Any other info about the '05 I should know about?

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
we have a new owner in IL with a dbl cab 05, RED, he is very happy with it, he used to have a 1999 ext cab v-6 with the first gen S/C
the truck interior is very roomy and completely redone, very cool!!
I still have to get used to the exterior, it is growing on me, for sure

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had my 05 double cab for about a month now. So far, best truck ever, and not one problem yet. Now I'm looking for wood to knock on. Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
One great truck

One great truck, get the SR5 package 8 with the limited slip differential. This truck rocks. The Variable would be great if you drove in lots of ice and snow but I don't need it in Florida. The leather interior is worth every penny. For the money I spent for my 2001 I got a better truck with more options more towing more interior room that is better designed and layed out. Great door storage. The fold down seats in the double cab are great. Engine great, transmission great. If you want to hear clunks drive a Chevy, Dodge, Ford. Toyota stands behind their product better then anyone in the industry. If there is a real problem they will fix it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input guys, it looks like I'm going to end up buying a Taco. But, think I'll wait for the 06 model.... give them time to work out any minor kinks AND gives me time to figure out where the heck I'm going to live after I finish up my degree! That way I'll know 2wd or 4wd!

·
Registered
24 Posts
05 Indigo Blue said:
One great truck, get the SR5 package 8 with the limited slip differential. This truck rocks. The Variable would be great if you drove in lots of ice and snow but I don't need it in Florida. The leather interior is worth every penny. For the money I spent for my 2001 I got a better truck with more options more towing more interior room that is better designed and layed out. Great door storage. The fold down seats in the double cab are great. Engine great, transmission great. If you want to hear clunks drive a Chevy, Dodge, Ford. Toyota stands behind their product better then anyone in the industry. If there is a real problem they will fix it.

yep, i'm looking at adding limited slip now....

·
Registered
20 Posts
My advice is to get the 4WD regardless of where you live... you'll never regret it. I've got a '99 Pre-Runner, only because at the time I didn't think I could afford the extra dough for the 4WD. Now I realize that I could have, and if I had, I would be able to keep this truck indefinitely... since it's not a 4X4 though, I'm already looking for a new ride.

·
Registered
63 Posts
TexasA&M said:
My advice is to get the 4WD regardless of where you live... you'll never regret it. I've got a '99 Pre-Runner, only because at the time I didn't think I could afford the extra dough for the 4WD. Now I realize that I could have, and if I had, I would be able to keep this truck indefinitely... since it's not a 4X4 though, I'm already looking for a new ride.
I have an 05 taco' prerunner and it's great I will most likely never need 4 wheel drive and the dealer also claims they only give you 800 dollars more for a 4 wheel drive at trade-in. So for me it's the best choice, the truck is just as high as a 4 wheel drive and the insurance is lower as well. So I recommend getting what you want, what's going to meet your needs the best.

Rod

·
Registered
24 Posts
TexasA&M said:

Why? I just need something to tow the Boxster to the track :)

Don't need a 4x4 for that and the Ford Ranger with a 4 banger wasn't going to cut it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your going to be using it for hunting and fishing I would go with the 4X4. Some of the best places are where others can't go. There in case you need it. IMO.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dieseler said:
I've got to say I'm really impressed with the 05 Taco and am considering one, but I do have some questions since I'm not familiar with the Toyota lineup.

I've tried searching here but havent come up with much about the 05's, especially in the way of first year hangups. I noticed a few complaints about some clunks from shock boots and or seatbelts. Also wind buffeting on what I assume to be the dealer accessor skidplate. But what I find really disturbing is the complaints about leaks! How broad of a problem is this? And overall would I be better waiting for the 06?

I have a couple other option questions that I dont quite trust the dealer on. I'm looking at a PreRunner w/offroad package, according to the salesman the e-locker isn't for use above 6mph? Surely he meant engagement but he said driving... is this correct?

He also said that due to the new computer setup you cannot change gears or tiresize? Sounds a bit fishy to me.... I've never run across a vehicle that could not be corrected for tires and or gearing.

Lastly, what is the difference between these two options? One is $650 and one is $800

Vehicle Stability Ctrl(VSC)+Traction Ctrl

Vehicle Stability Control(VSC) + Traction
-Control(Trac) W/Automatic Limited Slip Diff

Seems like they use brake modulation to simulate a LSD? If so that sounds like it would be the setup to have combined with an e-locker. Locker when you need it, quasi LSD the rest of the time.
Don't be a tard and get the 2wd....you will end up back here in 2 months asking how to convert it to a 4wd...trust me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have no regrets in regards to getting a 2wd but if you do any kind of off roading I would get the 4wd. I use my truck as a family commuter and don't plan to ever go off road. Again, very happy with the prerunner :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm too looking at an 05. I will stick with the 2wd and probably get TRD for the rear diff lock option. Now about that hunting thing. I consider myself a fairly hard core Duck Hunter, no ask my wife, and I'm sure there are some that are deeper than I but I will tell you this, my 99 PreRunner with 197000, all I ever needed was a diff lock...Ice...Mud...Launching boats where you shouldn't~~will never complain...Never stuck...

197000 miles
Brakes
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Starter
Misc maintance parts
Thats alll folks....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Info Here

Add to it that a 05 bed cross toolbox is a bitc# to find. Either too narrow or too wide. The lid on the factory boxes have an aluminum finish and I prefer black. Anyone solve this problem? :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have taco DC 03, it is in great shape, but looking at the new taco, I would definitly buy the new one, looks really good and indeed it is better than any others, I saw the frontier in person for the first time, not even close to the taco. And all the other trucks, the quality is way bellow the new taco. i wish i can buy the new one now. but still love my older taco. Taca has the truck of the year award and I can easily see that

1 - 20 of 21 Posts