TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 98 Tacoma paint code 204. Seems to be single stage but it's pretty much had it.
It's starting to oxidize on the top/hood and I tried to compound it with a power buffer - did nothing.
I then tried wet sanding down to 600 and it still shows a color difference between oxidized and non oxidized areas and I'm about to hit primer.

I have a turbine HVLP setup and i have used it quite a bit for home projects but never auto.

I have a book on auto painting but its for resto type work starting from bare metal.
I suppose first of all I should ask if this its realistic that I could do this with no automotive experience.
As I said I have some experience with cabinet type work (all solvent based finishes) and I have made pretty much every mistake possible with HVLP because I'm self taught.

Secondly, assuming no body damage (got lucky, bought it new and got a hit a few times but car vs truck truck always wins) and oem color would I have sand/strip to metal?
From what I can tell if I have start with bare metal and primer it's a lot of steps.

I was hoping with single stage I could sand down to good paint/primer and top coat with single stage.

Thanks

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,565 Posts
Every paint job I've seen from somebody with little paint experience never looks great. Cottage cheese and runny usually. Might be worth doing the prep and having a shop do the paint?

My paint is really bad, but I'm thinking of wrapping the truck to cover it up.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Every paint job I've seen from somebody with little paint experience never looks great. Cottage cheese and runny usually. Might be worth doing the prep and having a shop do the paint?

My paint is really bad, but I'm thinking of wrapping the truck to cover it up.
This.....

I did my snug top and it looked like I did it. HAHAHAH.

·
Registered
2003 Tacoma XtraCab 2.4L Manual
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 98 Tacoma paint code 204. Seems to be single stage but it's pretty much had it.
It's starting to oxidize on the top/hood and I tried to compound it with a power buffer - did nothing.
I then tried wet sanding down to 600 and it still shows a color difference between oxidized and non oxidized areas and I'm about to hit primer.

I have a turbine HVLP setup and i have used it quite a bit for home projects but never auto.

I have a book on auto painting but its for resto type work starting from bare metal.
I suppose first of all I should ask if this its realistic that I could do this with no automotive experience.
As I said I have some experience with cabinet type work (all solvent based finishes) and I have made pretty much every mistake possible with HVLP because I'm self taught.

Secondly, assuming no body damage (got lucky, bought it new and got a hit a few times but car vs truck truck always wins) and oem color would I have sand/strip to metal?
From what I can tell if I have start with bare metal and primer it's a lot of steps.

I was hoping with single stage I could sand down to good paint/primer and top coat with single stage.

Thanks
I just painted my 03 Tacoma with Raptor liner. There were a lot of rock chips and the plastic bed liner that came with the truck when I bought it new had worn through the paint to the bare metal in a couple of places.
I seriously suck at painting, but this was really easy and it turned out amazing. I put the plastic liner back in, but I'm not worried about it wearing through the Raptor.

20210612_093740_HDR.jpg
20210612_093753_HDR.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts