TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me with my consideration.

I am getting rid of my Taco extra cab soon. I may get one with 4 doors. However, I am also considering the following vehicles:

1) FZJ80 or LX450 (96-97) with lockers

2) UZJ100 (99) with rear locker

3) Tundra access cab 4x4

I have not decided what to do yet. I am still test driving, etc.

Anyone who has wheeled with an 80, 100, or Tundra who can compare and contrast the vehicles good and bad traits. Obviously, these are big biatches for the trail, but I hope to get an FJ40 for rockcrawling, several years down the road. In the meantime, I need a family friendly wheeler with a little more room...

·
Registered
465 Posts
calamaridog said:
Please help me with my consideration.

I am getting rid of my Taco extra cab soon. I may get one with 4 doors. However, I am also considering the following vehicles:

1) FZJ80 or LX450 (96-97) with lockers

2) UZJ100 (99) with rear locker

3) Tundra access cab 4x4

I have not decided what to do yet. I am still test driving, etc.

Anyone who has wheeled with an 80, 100, or Tundra who can compare and contrast the vehicles good and bad traits. Obviously, these are big biatches for the trail, but I hope to get an FJ40 for rockcrawling, several years down the road. In the meantime, I need a family friendly wheeler with a little more room...
I have Tundras DC, and its a big mother. The only times i wheeled it were at bigbear last weekend, and at pismo. Here is a bump for you.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have a 00 tundra AC. When I had a mild lift of about 2.5" with 33" tires, no body armor, and rear locker, it worked great on a 5-6 out of 10 rated trail(Deer Valley). Came out with no damage. 2nd time around I wasn't so lucky.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dyogim said:
I have a 00 tundra AC. When I had a mild lift of about 2.5" with 33" tires, no body armor, and rear locker, it worked great on a 5-6 out of 10 rated trail(Deer Valley). Came out with no damage. 2nd time around I wasn't so lucky.
Nice rig Mike. What trails have you run? How is it wheeling such a wide rig?

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
calamaridog said:
Nice rig Mike. What trails have you run? How is it wheeling such a wide rig?

Thanks,

Bryan
I haven't had any wheeling time other than taking it out to Prairie City. The guys at bentup finish the project about september. I'm hoping to get it ready to take it on the rubicon this July. I'm also lagging on my front driveshaft and transfer case x-member. Crossing fingers it'll get done this weekend.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll look forward to seeing pictures of your truck on the Rubicon!

My wife and I just drived a 2000 UZJ100 Landcruiser. It was real f'in nice! The salesman almost lost his cookies when my wife told him she doesn't like black because her husband will scratch it up too much off road:)

That's where I'm leaning today...

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
My Tundra is a great DD, but I don't think I would like it much on the trail compared to what I am used to. The suicide doors suck in parking lots, but are tons better than my Xcab Taco was.

Tough to beat the FZJ, if you can live with the lack of acceleration....oh wait, that is what they make SBC's for. :D

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I may get a 100 and use it for easy and medium trails and to tow ??? to the trailhead.

When the wife's Heep Liberty is paid off, I can trade it out for a taco quad cab...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts