• Don't sweat the little shiat

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well Holcomb Creek managed to infiltrate my front diff this last run because the guy that did my gear swap failed to reinstall the breather tube at the front diff :mad: ...

This was last years pic... It was a tad deeper this year I think

He even had to be persuaded to change the oil as he was trying to be a cheap ass mo' fo'... After his mistake

It came out looking like farking carmel ice cream :(

I'm guessing I should change it again in a 100 miles or so... But the gear man said not to worry... He stated all the water came out with the oil... I'm betting he's wrong and there will still be residual...

I'll change it anyhow...
But how many miles should I run through it before the change... ?

And how much residual could be left ?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Dell I injested a lake into my tranny, and t-case a few years back. I swapped out the gear oil immediately on the trial (desposed of properly) drove home about 80 miles and swapped out the fluids a second time. I did not fill either entirely up. I let the gear boxes run a bit while the fluid level was low. Then dumped that oil.

After that, I refilled everything with fresh sythetic, and never had any issues afterwards. So I would say your 100 mile estimate is close. Just make sure and use a cheap grade gear oil to "scrub" out the diff and you should be golden.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
After the initial "milk shake" the oil was better on the second round, but was still a little milky when I got back into town. you could definitely tell it was not pure gear oil, but it as still somewhat clear.

After I circulated the lower amount of fluid and drained it, it did clear up. Well enough for me to consider all the water extracted out of the gears.

I added the normal amount after that and on the next oil change everything looked normal.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm... and yer talking about a tranny/transfer which has a lot of moving parts for residual to hide in... The diff is much simpler... Maybe I won't worry about it fer awhile... Just change it out in a coupla' thousand...

I guess it'll come down to how lazy I feel about pulling the skid plate again...

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
yea, the tranny and tcase have a bunch of hiding spots, that is why I ran them half full (at most) for at least 5 maybe 10 minutes so that I could circulate the gear oil. I ran it low on purpose so as to not just dilute the water/gear oil but actually allow the gear oil to remove the water and re coat the surfaces.

I know with my maintence stuff, I get ambitious, make a list of things to get done, but in the end the list never gets finished and I call it quits early. But now since I don't have the front skid plate any longer I have noticed more things do get done!

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...Damn skid plates...

: Dell wakes back to reality of ifs :

Oh wait... fark... I still need one....

Love my skid plate...

Dammit

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tweeter said:
Don't drive through water :dunno:
Oh shaddup... Yer just jealous...
You don't even have a front diff to :jack:

Go get some sand in yer craw... ;)

: Damn dezert rats :

·
Registered
214 Posts
WATER WILL EVAPORATE OUT OF THERE YOU WILL BE GOOD :cool:

NOW IF IT WAS MUD THAT WOULD BE A DIFFERENT THING :eek:

NOTE: TO READERS

MUD INSIDE A PIG = BAD DAY :mad:
EXTEND YOUR PIG VENT :welder:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
roll-bar Bob said:
WATER WILL EVAPORATE OUT OF THERE YOU WILL BE GOOD :cool:

NOW IF IT WAS MUD THAT WOULD BE A DIFFERENT THING :eek:

NOTE: TO READERS

MUD INSIDE A PIG = BAD DAY :mad:
EXTEND YOUR PIG VENT :welder:
What, water with no mud? I've never heard of such from down here!
I'd say change it again but you are in that dry-ass state so when-ever. Did you get that stupid tube put back on? :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
bray
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing