TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Why would "one" want to do this?
to each his own!

OP-

You'll need a pair of Pre-Runner knuckles, and if you leave the t-case, you'll just need to unbolt the rest of the 4WD parts and done. If you want a complete removal, you'll have to get a pre-runner transmission and rear driveshaft to swap out as well....If you post up in the Wanted section you could probably find someone with a Pre-Runner that would happily swap trannies/t-case/knuckles, etc... with ya! Make a weekend out of a dual swap!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
move the skinny lever on the right to H2 instead of H4... or do what Mr Tacomi said

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well there are several reasons, firstly its lighter upfront. Less parts that can break

I can sell my t100 cv axles

For some reason my tires scrub when im in 4x4 on the street in the rain going just in a straight line. So i might have a locker up front.

Also it seems like a challenge, Id like to get more mechanical experience/understanding.

+ better gas mileage, And I could just get a locker to improve my traction

my cv axle shaft comes into contact with the housing on one of my shocks which pisses me off!

I also here teh 4x4 chassie is stronger? Do they mean the body or the frame

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
is that what mommy and daddy would do for you? Or would they just go out and buy you a big new shiny truck
ummm... newbie tech here... you just might open yourself up to a whole bunch of 'stuff' if you wanna keep heading in this direction...

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
is that what mommy and daddy would do for you? Or would they just go out and buy you a big new shiny truck
This is newbie tech, let the guy figure it out for himself. He's just asking a simple question. Or should we all pick pepper out of your fly shit too? :2cents:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

no i would have bought a 2wd to begin with. i wouldnt have spent the extra few thousand just to take it off.

and you know anything about me or my family so quit trying to be an e-tuff guy and calm down

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Just unbolt the diff and the DS. As mentioned, to make it really clean you would need a 2WD tranny.

(Mr. Tacomi - they didn't have "prerunners" in '89)

You already have longtravel, right? 'cuz the Total Chaos gen3 setup would be about the only reason I could see to do this....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Still looking to get rid or your 4x4 parts?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
For some reason my tires scrub when im in 4x4 on the street in the rain going just in a straight line. So i might have a locker up front.
You really shouldn't use your 4x4 in the rain. It's completely unnecessary, and will only cause problems with drivetrain wear in the long run. If your tires are scrubbing, it means that the surface you're driving on isn't slippery enough to merit being in 4WD.

I'm not sure where you live, but if it's somewhere that never gets snow or ice... you should probably never use 4WD while driving on the roads.... only for offroading through mud, steep hills, deep sand and water crossings.

Keep in mind though, that you are supposed to operate 4WD in your truck every few thousand miles or every month or 2.. just to keep all the parts moving and lubed up. The best place to do that would be on some trail or in a field, and just drive around for like a mile or something in 4WD.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
well there are several reasons, firstly its lighter upfront

1. this is a fair argument, but lets be realistic...its not a really significant amount.

Less parts that can break

2. Yet again, you have a fair argument, however, if you treat your truck the right way and dont drive like an idiot, you shouldn't have a problem breaking things.

I can sell my t100 cv axles

3. Your going to get about $75 max for the pair if they are low mileage and in good condition.

4. Like stated above, its not good at all to drive in 4wd on the road unless on ice or in deep snow.

Also it seems like a challenge, Id like to get more mechanical experience/understanding.

5. Your taking a great risk that your going mess your truck up taking it apart...

+ better gas mileage

6. Honestly, this is a good argument in theory, but never really checks out. At absolute best, your talking about .5 to 1 mpg better.

And I could just get a locker to improve my traction

7. in what front case?

my cv axle shaft comes into contact with the housing on one of my shocks which pisses me off!

8. post up some pics and we could help you with this issue.

Are all these things really enough for you to loose the confidence of being able to go those places others cant?

Really think about it and get back to us.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
and you know anything about me or my family so quit trying to be an e-tuff guy and calm down
It's ok. He's the village idiot. See below...

navyseals101 said:
I named myself navyseals101 because i know alot about the Navy SEALS. Ive wanted to be one ever since i was 13 but since then i have lost my motivation for it so i dont know what im going to do

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
convert an 89? jsut sell the truck and buy a 2wd.....

the 2wd and 4x4s are similar but still different, there is no prerunner anything.... nothing will interchange

you would have to replace the tranny/tcase with a 2wd unit, and also the suspension... i have a complete 2wd suspension minus the front spindles for sale.... cheap! you will definately need some frame parts like the shock towers, and will need to throw on bolt holes and nuts in the frame, etc....

also it might not even work, because the 2wd has more frame arch than a 4x4 -- and that is needed for the suspension/steering underneath

·
Registered
49 Posts
wow

removing 4wd components to make it a 2wd???? :eek:
I will never own a truck that does not have 4wd
like the boys said sell it and get a 2wd if that is what you want.

Have you ever taken the truck off road? sounds like you haven't or you wouldn't want to remove the front drive system
get some buds to go off road with you and you will want to keep it as is

good luck

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Cheapest way (if you want to keep your truck) - find someone that's got a PreRunner and wants to convert to 4x4. Everything will simply swap over.

Easiest way - trade trucks with guy above.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts