TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Get transfer case that you can use, and find someone that is doing a sas and get all the parts from them. should be a bolt on deal. I will be doing my swap in april if want the parts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
shadymilkman said:
what can you guys tell me about converting my 99 3.4 prerunner AT to 4wd
1. swap you prerunner transmission for a 4x4 one w/t-case
2. bolt up front diff
3. swap spindles
4. put in cvs
5. put in front d-shaft
6. put in new, shorter rear d-shaft
7. wire up the add(or if you have man hubs you are done)

best mod ive done

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
shadymilkman said:
how long did it take you drabnor. how much mechanical skill did it require, what was the hardest part.
the hardest part is swapping the transmissions, i dont have a body lift so its a pain in the ass to get to the bolts on top. have some swivels and at least a 3' extension and have a buddy put the socket on each bolt while you pull them out

other than that its prety straight forward but if you arent comfortable swapping the trans out then dont attemp it. make sure you use line wrenches on those atf lines(we had to cut mine off, they are expensive!)

total cost for me was around $13-1400
$400 for frontend
$600 for trans
$100 for front d-shaft
free rear d-shaft
$90 for 4wd solenoids
$75 for new 4wd transmission mount
$100 for misc stuff, atf, wires, switches etc...

i swaped the trans first, started on friday night, got the trans out around 11:30pm lol. then saturday we spent most of the morning getting the new trans and t-case in along with the rear d-shaft so the truck was driveable

then i finished it all up like 3 weeks later. put the front diff in, swapped spindles and put the cvs in and front d-shaft and wired up the solenoids

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Auto hubs? WHat'd ya do about the check engine light?

By the way, a big minus to the whole buy/sell option is another 1000+- tax bill...

·
Registered
272 Posts
the check engine light can be fixed by having the speed senor plug in and working

·
Registered
272 Posts
drabnor said:
the hardest part is swapping the transmissions, i dont have a body lift so its a pain in the ass to get to the bolts on top. have some swivels and at least a 3' extension and have a buddy put the socket on each bolt while you pull them out

other than that its prety straight forward but if you arent comfortable swapping the trans out then dont attemp it. make sure you use line wrenches on those atf lines(we had to cut mine off, they are expensive!)

total cost for me was around $13-1400
$400 for frontend
$600 for trans
$100 for front d-shaft
free rear d-shaft
$90 for 4wd solenoids
$75 for new 4wd transmission mount
$100 for misc stuff, atf, wires, switches etc...

i swaped the trans first, started on friday night, got the trans out around 11:30pm lol. then saturday we spent most of the morning getting the new trans and t-case in along with the rear d-shaft so the truck was driveable

then i finished it all up like 3 weeks later. put the front diff in, swapped spindles and put the cvs in and front d-shaft and wired up the solenoids

you suck i got off my ATF lines jsut fine with a wrench... :D

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
snutty said:
yea, but at least his swap worked, LOL

·
Registered
546 Posts
shadymilkman said:
what can you guys tell me about converting my 99 3.4 prerunner AT to 4wd
I have a complete front 2001 3rd with 4:10's and mounts I need to let go cheaps + shipping.
You would also need a newer tranny for the drivers side diff.
Pretty much just bolt on the parts that were forgotten at the Toyota Factory :)
K-ton

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
drabnor said:
1. swap you prerunner transmission for a 4x4 one w/t-case
2. bolt up front diff
3. swap spindles
4. put in cvs
5. put in front d-shaft
6. put in new, shorter rear d-shaft
7. wire up the add(or if you have man hubs you are done)

best mod ive done
You for got to put Swap for Manual Tranny!

1 3 5
|-|-|
2 4 R

·
Registered
485 Posts
Not even worth it! Just save yourself the time and hassle and sell yours to by a factory 4 by. Who knows? You may dump loads of money into and it may not even work correctly, unless you have extensive mechanical abilities I would suggest just buying one and selling yours, cost will be about the same.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Kyota said:
Auto hubs? WHat'd ya do about the check engine light?
yea, like snutty said, the ce light goes away as soon as i put a speed sensor in. my transmission did not come with one and toyota wants around 200 bucks for it

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
snutty said:
lucky bastard! those lines are like 50 bucks each and no stealer had them in stock so i ended up having a custom line made up that worked temporary till i could get the stock lines

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
hytenor said:
yea, but at least his swap worked, LOL
i was thinking the same thing :rofl:

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Shakerhood said:
You for got to put Swap for Manual Tranny!

1 3 5
|-|-|
2 4 R
lol yea, thats alot more work

1 - 20 of 49 Posts