TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 2.7L with Toyota "True Start" battery, stock alternator.

I got a cooler that uses the cig lighter for power (Christmas gift). If I change the outlets to full time power, how long can I run this without the truck on? On the spec. sheet, it says the power consumption is 4.8 Amp/60 W if that helps. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Maybe 8-10 hours....but maybe a lot less
My sister has a fridge/freezer and bought one of those $50 portable 12v power sources/jumpers. She has a Y plug so that when she is driving the car it is charging the portable power source and runing the fridge. When she shuts off the car she switches over to the portable power source ONLY. The portable power source will usually still be running at in the morning, after going all night...but then it is colder at night and does not need to be running all the time.

Do not run off the battery with the engine off for more than a couple of hours unless you have a buddy with jumper cables or if you have a 5-speed and park on a hill....

·
Registered
40 Posts
If for whatever reason you choose to ignore the good advice above, I would invest in an Optima deep cycle battery. They will handle the power drain and recharge much better than any off the shelf battery. But no battery will be able to power anything significant for a appreciable amount of time, and still have enough juice to crank the motor. I've known several people that have left the interior light on overnight and have had problems getting the car to start in the morning. That is just one little bulb, not a refrigeration source.

·
Registered
503 Posts
ShowStop said:
I don't have the stock True Start battery anymore, but I can run my stereo and amps (which pull way more then just 5amps) for over 8hrs on my DieHard Gold battery. The estimate of 8-10hrs is a safe bet on a fully charged battery.
I have two 600 Watt sony amps and i used to have the radio on all day on job sites and never had a problem starting my rig after 8 hrs. I have a newer batter though. I think its rated at 650CCA.

Chris

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DakotaTacoma said:
Maybe 8-10 hours....but maybe a lot less
My sister has a fridge/freezer and bought one of those $50 portable 12v power sources/jumpers. She has a Y plug so that when she is driving the car it is charging the portable power source and runing the fridge. When she shuts off the car she switches over to the portable power source ONLY. The portable power source will usually still be running at in the morning, after going all night...but then it is colder at night and does not need to be running all the time.

Do not run off the battery with the engine off for more than a couple of hours unless you have a buddy with jumper cables or if you have a 5-speed and park on a hill....
Thanks for the good advice, that portable power unit sounds cool. I forgot to mention in my first post that I am not looking to leave it on for any long periods of time (ie overnight) but would like to leave it on while stopping for lunch on the trail or something. It is only big enough to hold a six-pack of soda, so nothing major will be stored inside.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ShowStop said:
I don't have the stock True Start battery anymore, but I can run my stereo and amps (which pull way more then just 5amps) for over 8hrs on my DieHard Gold battery. The estimate of 8-10hrs is a safe bet on a fully charged battery.
That was my guess too. See the thread above....I forgot to mention I didn't need it on for a super long time. If I'm good for 2-3hrs I will be more than happy :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
BOOBANELLI21 said:
Thanks for the good advice, that portable power unit sounds cool. I forgot to mention in my first post that I am not looking to leave it on for any long periods of time (ie overnight) but would like to leave it on while stopping for lunch on the trail or something. It is only big enough to hold a six-pack of soda, so nothing major will be stored inside.
I have a 9 can plug in cooler and I leave it on when I go wheeling. You'll be fine leaving it on for 4-5 hrs without the engine on, as long as your battery is newer and in good condition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts