TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: This weekend I poked a small hole in the radiator with a drill bit while building my bumper. I used stop leak to seal the hole. Driving back, the stop leak failed and most of my coolant leaked out before I was able to get off the highway (there was an accident and the interstate was shut down). Used JB Weld to seal up the hole so I could get back to dallas and it sealed fine for the rest of my trip.

Yesterday, I replaced the radiator and flushed the cooling system with some cleaner from Toyota of Dallas. Last night and today I noticed that the temps on the highway are running around 198* (OBD reader shows actual temp). The temps got above 200* when stopped. Heater is working fine so I know the heater core is not clogged.

My thoughts are that the stop leak clogged something up and is no allowing full flow through the cooling system. I think the first thing I am going to do is replace the thermostat in case it is clogged.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what could be the cause of the high temps in case the thermostat doesn't fix it? IS there a flush on the market that will remove all residue of the stop leak from the cooling system?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Try the T-stat first. Then make sure you are running the same lb radiator cap as before, so the boiling point will be the same as the old radiator. After that, check to make sure your fan is working properly. Make sure there is circulation in the upper rad hose, as this can sometimes develop an air bubble in it since the taco t-stat is on the bottom and if you only fill the radiator and dont put any in the upper rad hose so coolant will go into the top part of the block, you may have an air pocket in there.

I run about 70% water, 30% toyota anti freeze with a bottle of watter wetter mixed in. I have the OBDII scan gauge as well, and it never gets above 195F unless I am hauling ass offroad through sand. Max temp it ever got out in Glamis was 213F, and the needle on the temp gauge cluster was above halfway.

Good luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
How many times did you flush it?...it's good to flush it more then once since stop leak is made to adhere to the side walls of your radiator...

I HATE stop leak :D

All it ever did for me was cause more problems...

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i flushed it 3 times. it will be flushed again today when i swap the thermostat. i just don't feel comfortable with it running temps close to 200* when it is in the 60s outside. it makes me wonder how hot it will run when the temps get over 100* in a few months.

·
Registered
770 Posts
My truck generally runs between 198-202 on the OBDII regardless of outside temp, just for reference...

·
Registered
514 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
Background: This weekend I poked a small hole in the radiator with a drill bit while building my bumper. I used stop leak to seal the hole. Driving back, the stop leak failed and most of my coolant leaked out before I was able to get off the highway (there was an accident and the interstate was shut down). Used JB Weld to seal up the hole so I could get back to dallas and it sealed fine for the rest of my trip.

Yesterday, I replaced the radiator and flushed the cooling system with some cleaner from Toyota of Dallas. Last night and today I noticed that the temps on the highway are running around 198* (OBD reader shows actual temp). The temps got above 200* when stopped. Heater is working fine so I know the heater core is not clogged.

My thoughts are that the stop leak clogged something up and is no allowing full flow through the cooling system. I think the first thing I am going to do is replace the thermostat in case it is clogged.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what could be the cause of the high temps in case the thermostat doesn't fix it? IS there a flush on the market that will remove all residue of the stop leak from the cooling system?
Your fine, those are perfectly normal coolant temps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts