TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys~~
I just put these tires on my stock wheels Cooper Discovery STT 285/75/16. Have a 05 Taco DC 4x4 off road pkg. Toytec 3" lift front coils 885 and AAL, ARB bumper in front. The back end seem all squrily, real lose. Can this be because of the large side wall? Is this the way the truck will be with the larger tires? This is the first lift that I have put on a truck.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
597 Posts
huh, well you have mud tires/off road tires. was it rainy or wet road, get use to the less traction in wet conditions vs. street tires, though the discovery sst's have better reviews then say a mud terrain, did you put the lift on or was it "professionaly" done, your center of gravity has change a little and you altered your suspension, just double check everything though on your trucks suspension, and just get use to the way it drives with the new lift

·
Registered
324 Posts
is your air pressure low? i went from 29's to 32's and noticed a little more sway. wet traction is pretty decent, better then my low tread street tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the lift myself seem to go on pretty easy, maybe to easy. Check out everything and retighten everything, u-bolts were able to be tighten a little more. It did drive a little better. The condition has been dry.

How much air should I have in these tires when on highway? Don't have a gage with me right now but think they tire shop aired them down to 50 which I taught was too much. After I brought the truck back to get realigned

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
How much air should I have in these tires when on highway? Don't have a gage with me right now but think they tire shop aired them down to 50 :eek: which I taught was too much. After I brought the truck back to get realigned
I run my Cooper ATR's 265/75/16 at 26 PSI. Rides great sofar. Only have about 2500 miles on them. The wear looks even sofar.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I did the lift myself seem to go on pretty easy, maybe to easy. Check out everything and retighten everything, u-bolts were able to be tighten a little more. It did drive a little better. The condition has been dry.

How much air should I have in these tires when on highway? Don't have a gage with me right now but think they tire shop aired them down to 50 which I taught was too much. After I brought the truck back to get realigned
It all depends on your truck. You can't really go by the door jamb sticker anymore ebcause of the different tire size...

Only way is to find a flat piece of pavement that's traight and kinda long. Take a piece of chaulk or sheetrock and mark a line across the tread. Drive forward and straight and look at the tread as you do this. Get out when the line is somewhat worn down (shouldn't take long)

Look at the line. If it's worn in the middle but not the edges, decrease the pressure. If it's worn on the edges but not in the center, increase the pressure.

Your goal is to make that line wear evenly.

My Coopers #2x11.5 on 15X8 tims takes about 31psi to get it to wear evenly...

If you do this when you get new tires, your tires will last much longer because they wear evenly.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
huh, well you have mud tires/off road tires. was it rainy or wet road, get use to the less traction in wet conditions vs. street tires, though the discovery sst's have better reviews then say a mud terrain, did you put the lift on or was it "professionaly" done, your center of gravity has change a little and you altered your suspension, just double check everything though on your trucks suspension, and just get use to the way it drives with the new lift
Holy run-on sentence, Batman!

·
Registered
793 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually already in the Circus :) come visit my house. we do the chalk line thing with the fire apparatus ~ I should have taught of that

·
Registered
5 Posts
the arb bumber is pretty heavy and that could counter lever your rear a bit, especially if your front suspension is real hard. little late but hey

·
Registered
86 Posts
It all depends on your truck. You can't really go by the door jamb sticker anymore ebcause of the different tire size...

Only way is to find a flat piece of pavement that's traight and kinda long. Take a piece of chaulk or sheetrock and mark a line across the tread. Drive forward and straight and look at the tread as you do this. Get out when the line is somewhat worn down (shouldn't take long)

Look at the line. If it's worn in the middle but not the edges, decrease the pressure. If it's worn on the edges but not in the center, increase the pressure.

Your goal is to make that line wear evenly.

My Coopers #2x11.5 on 15X8 tims takes about 31psi to get it to wear evenly...

If you do this when you get new tires, your tires will last much longer because they wear evenly.

Good info, I'll have to do that.

I'm running the cooper st's right now and I run then at 31psi. They have worn great so far. 50 psi seems a little high to me. Do the chalk thing and see where that leaves you, but 50 seems really high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts