TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 DBL Cab TRD Offroad Tacoma looking to get some bigger tires for my stock rims. The rims are 16" and I am planning on adding a 3" REVTEK spacer lift + add a leaf in the rear. I have been told I can fit 285/75R16's with this lift. After doing some reading on here I am not so sure. Is anyone running either of these tires with this setup? What do you think about running the Toyo M/T in a class E rating on the taco? The STTs measure 32.0" in a 265/75R16 and 33.10" in the 285/75R16.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I think a basic search would have answered this, if not please ask it in the newbie tech.

To answer your question directly: I run 285/75/16's on my truck with no rubbing issues. I changed to a steel wheel to accomodate it. Its a wheeler's type B black steel rim. It changes the backspacing out to allow clearance on the front frame rail and the upper control arm. If you want to run M/T's on the stock wheel, you can, but it will be a tight fit with some rubbing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I had done a bunch of searching but no one had given a strait answer. So on the stock rims a 265/75R16 would be a better bet. An Offroad shop around here had mentioned running a 1" spacer with the stock rims would help.

Nice truck by the way. You have done alot of work.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
you might beable to run 295's on them.. In fact I have some 295s.. and some rims.. lol but you should beable to. One thing TOYO tires run big. FYI. Also Im kinda partial to Toyo's. I love them, they run long, they dont sound loud, and great handling!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You could run a 1" spacer (thats a whole debate in and of itself) but I prefer changing the wheel. Since I do a lot of rock trails, I wanted something that would be durable and cheap to replace. The rims cost me something like $40 each, and have held up well to this point. I'll be adding a reinforcement ring to them this winter (not beadlocks) to address issues with the lip folding over from boulders.

The extra width (285 v. 265) is what does it. If you wanted to run a 33" tire with the stock rims, a 255/85 would be a better bet. There are plenty of people who run the 285/75 on stock wheels, but get it offroad and completely flexed out and you will see what I'm talking about. Personally I would spend the extra $ and get the right setup. :2cents:

(read the tire section for opinions of STT's v. BFG etc, its been covered a few times ;) )

Also, is there any attraction to the spacer lift besides price? The extended travel Donahoe's with upper control arms will actually give you a better ride with an extra 1" of travel. Its the best of both worlds for IFS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RYGUY
You are running the Toyos on your 05 Tacoma? What PSI do you run them at as they are a Class E tire? Do you find they still mold to the terrain and air down ok with a lighter truck?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SISYPHUS:

I called Donahoe this am to ask for a price on the Coil overs. They quoted me 1050 USD for the coilds and $289 for the add aleaf. Everyone is saying don't bother with the spacer lift just buy the best. Donahoe doesn't recommend a bigger lift than 2.5" with out replacing the UCA's for allignment issues. They said If I was running stock rims stick with the stock size tires even if running with a 2.5" lift. Price is a bit of an issue, but if I install them my self then I could afford it with out the UCA's. I really don't want to replace my stock rims right now. I just need to find the biggest tire that is going to work for me with out to much rubbing/cutting. I can't seem to find a 255/85 from toyo or cooper in the tires I am looking for. Both companies offer a LT265/75R16 with a height of around 32". I am starting to think this may be my best bet with stock rims and around 2.5"-3" of lift. Stock tires are 265/70R16 from what I remember. I have been reading about the donahoes since I had my 97 taco and have always wanted a pair. Donahoe also didn't recommend wheel spacers as they said it would make things worse...?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RYGUY:
The extended travel system you are talking about is this the adjustable 0-3.5" system. If so donahoe didn't mention it would not work without the UCA's. They did mention it helps with allignment issues over 2.5" of lift.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
06TacoCDN said:
RYGUY
You are running the Toyos on your 05 Tacoma? What PSI do you run them at as they are a Class E tire? Do you find they still mold to the terrain and air down ok with a lighter truck?

Thanks
Yeup I am.. 295/ 70 r17 and Im selling them to go to 325 70 r17. I currently run the fronts 33psi and the rear 29-30 psi.. When offroading I use 30 in the front and 25 in rear. The still mold great! Toyo's I think are one of the best tire companies out there. I have had them down to 25 front and 20 rears with no problem, just I seem to run out of gas faster!! HAHA I like to get a little more umph when Im on a long stretch. I can tell you that those Dhoes are one of the best. I also have their upper arms too. I do get alot more travel then previous, but it also means you have to dump cash. I dont know about running a skinnier tire but same height. I have always run bigger tires width cause that makes it a larger platform for handling. WHen you go into turns, your tires grab more with more tread. Just some advise.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
06TacoCDN said:
RYGUY:
The extended travel system you are talking about is this the adjustable 0-3.5" system. If so donahoe didn't mention it would not work without the UCA's. They did mention it helps with allignment issues over 2.5" of lift.
Thanks
Honestly I cant answer that question. Im gonna race my truck in the stock class and that means you cant have any welded arm. But they didnt say you cant have a single billet arm:) So bending the rules again. Well this is still adjustable shock. They just revalve it and install a longer shaft. You have to run aftermarket UCA's in order to utilize the extra travel. When measured with a jack I get almost 2" of travel. But that doesnt mean that you get 2" of height. It really depends on what your gonna do. If you want light offroading and mainly a good handling on and offroad truck. Just stick with the Adjustable Dhoes.. If you want to really beat the thing, Go all out. But remember you need deep pockets.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
06TacoCDN said:
SISYPHUS:

I called Donahoe this am to ask for a price on the Coil overs. They quoted me 1050 USD for the coilds and $289 for the add aleaf. Everyone is saying don't bother with the spacer lift just buy the best. Donahoe doesn't recommend a bigger lift than 2.5" with out replacing the UCA's for allignment issues. They said If I was running stock rims stick with the stock size tires even if running with a 2.5" lift. Price is a bit of an issue, but if I install them my self then I could afford it with out the UCA's. I really don't want to replace my stock rims right now. I just need to find the biggest tire that is going to work for me with out to much rubbing/cutting. I can't seem to find a 255/85 from toyo or cooper in the tires I am looking for. Both companies offer a LT265/75R16 with a height of around 32". I am starting to think this may be my best bet with stock rims and around 2.5"-3" of lift. Stock tires are 265/70R16 from what I remember. I have been reading about the donahoes since I had my 97 taco and have always wanted a pair. Donahoe also didn't recommend wheel spacers as they said it would make things worse...?

Thanks for all the help.
OK, first about the Donahoes. The coilovers are adjustable. You can control how much actual lift you get out of them. I set mine for 2" of lift in the front. The harder you crank them out, the stiffer the ride will become. When I combined the C/O's with the Deaver 10 pack rear springs, it leveled the truck. Total I have about 1.5" of lift over stock in the rear, and 2" in the front.

I chose to add Total Chaos upper control arms so that I could align the front end easier. If you don't, it will make aligning the front more difficult, that is if you have the C/O's cranked out too far. The farther you lift the vehicle, the farther it moves out of alignment and the more you need to bring it back in. The uniball upper control arms allow you more flexibility when you align the front. They also allow the suspension to cycle smoother and get that extra bit of travel out of the extended travel Donahoe's. Remember that every time you adjust the ride height, you will be putting the truck out of alignment.

If you want to keep your stock wheel, you have two options. Run the narrower tire, or add wheel spacers. The spacers move the stress point outward. Its not really a problem if you buy a quality set, but I wouldn't trust the sets from pep-boys and the like. Just make sure that they are torqued down properly and it should be OK. Wheels are preferable because it allows you to move the tire outward without adding another stress point. There's arguements on both sides, but as long as you're not planning on beating the living piss out of your truck, you should be OK. You could keep it stock with the wider tires, but there will be some rubbage at full lock, and you may get rubbing on the UCA's with the tires you're planning to run.

The 255/85's allow you to run a 33" tire without having to change anything. If it was me and I didn't want to drop the money that would be the route to go. You may not get to run the brand of tire you want (selection in that size is limited) but you cant have your cake and eat it too. I think the BFG's and Super Swampers are the only M/T's you can get in that size.

It's definitely a more expensive setup, but I've helped a couple of people switch out and I always hear the same thing. I wish I would have done this in the first place.

As far as pricing for the Donahoe's, check out Wheeler's offroad for package deals. http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05updonahoetacoma.htm

The Donahoe's with UCA's are running $1,375.00 Thats only $285 more for Camburg UCA's. Thats freight and tax included (no tax ever in Oregon)

Demello offers a package with the deaver rear springs, bilstein shocks and Donahoe C/O's for $1650.00 If you want to add UCA's its only $439 more. http://www.demello-offroad.com//catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_25_30&products_id=98&osCsid=132d9ce54a9a52f5d2654eaddd3d8d19 Thats a pretty darn good deal. Tell them you're from TTORA and see what they can do for you. Jason's a heck of a gnome, err I mean guy.

Hope that helped,

Chris

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Sisyphus said:
OK, first about the Donahoes. The coilovers are adjustable. You can control how much actual lift you get out of them. I set mine for 2" of lift in the front. The harder you crank them out, the stiffer the ride will become. When I combined the C/O's with the Deaver 10 pack rear springs, it leveled the truck. Total I have about 1.5" of lift over stock in the rear, and 2" in the front.

I chose to add Total Chaos upper control arms so that I could align the front end easier. If you don't, it will make aligning the front more difficult, that is if you have the C/O's cranked out too far. The farther you lift the vehicle, the farther it moves out of alignment and the more you need to bring it back in. The uniball upper control arms allow you more flexibility when you align the front. They also allow the suspension to cycle smoother and get that extra bit of travel out of the extended travel Donahoe's. Remember that every time you adjust the ride height, you will be putting the truck out of alignment.

If you want to keep your stock wheel, you have two options. Run the narrower tire, or add wheel spacers. The spacers move the stress point outward. Its not really a problem if you buy a quality set, but I wouldn't trust the sets from pep-boys and the like. Just make sure that they are torqued down properly and it should be OK. Wheels are preferable because it allows you to move the tire outward without adding another stress point. There's arguements on both sides, but as long as you're not planning on beating the living piss out of your truck, you should be OK. You could keep it stock with the wider tires, but there will be some rubbage at full lock, and you may get rubbing on the UCA's with the tires you're planning to run.

The 255/85's allow you to run a 33" tire without having to change anything. If it was me and I didn't want to drop the money that would be the route to go. You may not get to run the brand of tire you want (selection in that size is limited) but you cant have your cake and eat it too. I think the BFG's and Super Swampers are the only M/T's you can get in that size.

It's definitely a more expensive setup, but I've helped a couple of people switch out and I always hear the same thing. I wish I would have done this in the first place.

As far as pricing for the Donahoe's, check out Wheeler's offroad for package deals. http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05updonahoetacoma.htm

The Donahoe's with UCA's are running $1,375.00 Thats only $285 more for Camburg UCA's. Thats freight and tax included (no tax ever in Oregon)

Demello offers a package with the deaver rear springs, bilstein shocks and Donahoe C/O's for $1650.00 If you want to add UCA's its only $439 more. http://www.demello-offroad.com//catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_25_30&products_id=98&osCsid=132d9ce54a9a52f5d2654eaddd3d8d19 Thats a pretty darn good deal. Tell them you're from TTORA and see what they can do for you. Jason's a heck of a gnome, err I mean guy.

Hope that helped,

Chris
Couldnt have said it better. One thing to add to this. Make sure you get your money all togethor. If you go to those tires, and never change your rims your ok.. But if you ever think you might change your rims, most rims these days with the correct offset are 16x7, x8, x9 or 17x8,x9. Now getting your tires that you just spent might not work on the new rim. Just think about it for the future. I have had to spend money 2 and 3 times before I got it right. Right now Im trying to sell rims cause now I want to race. Info would have been better earlier to me. I paid $350ea for my rims now, but now I cant even get a buyer for $200ea. Just think of the future so you dont have to spend money back and forth. Try not to run wheel spacers if you can. I personally had bad luck, but then again I beat my truck on the trails. Anyways.. Good post Sisyphus!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the usefull information.

I have been rethinking my choice in lifts. I like the Donahoes with the Camburg setup and an add a leaf from wheelersoffroad. Revtek had said that you don't lose any travel and that there is no issue with allignment. The guy had mentioned that it is a little stiffer but the ride is very similliar to stock. He also said that Coilovers require the UCA's when going 2" or more because of the extra travel that puts more stress on the stock parts. With the Spacer lift they are not needed as there is no extra stress on the stock parts.???hmmm.. All said and done I am looking at 500cdn for the Revtek or around $1900cdn for the Donahoes with UCA's. I really want something that isn't going to give me any troubles and won't mess things up with the truck. How often do you need to get an allignment with the Donahoe setups? Do they go out of allignment easily? I have been told with the Donahoes and UCA's I can run a 285/75r16 on the stock rims. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
you can run even larger if you want, but you do get some rubbing on larger. Make sure you get the correct Back spacing. You should do a search in the tech section for Spacer lift vs Aftermarket Coil overs. This subject has been talked about alot everywhere. For me, I had some aftermarket spacers. They did not perform for me like aftermarket coilovers. Aftermarket coilovers give you max wheel travel. They also dont compress the stock coil that wasnt really made to use a wheel spacer. But 2 each is own. Do the research and decided for your self. If cost is an issue, definately go the spacer route if you dont want to spend the cash. Decide what your ultimate rig would be and work towards that, nothing beats spending money 2-3 times. I did this and regret it every day.

by the way, my truck rides so much better than stock when I went with aftermarket coils, and running my truck hard on dirt and sand ( 50+ mph ) My truck rides better than on the road. Try doing that with spacers. haha decided what you want your truck to look like and do with your truck. Then ask the guys that do what you do what they did.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is strange to me - After searching and reading I still can not find a non-oem 16" wheel backspacing agreed upon by all you guys running basically the same setup...
285/75-16, DR Coilovers, TC UCA's, Deaver 10 pack in the rear.
Is 4.5" of backspacing the answer? Do you have to go more?
I am trying to plan my build before buying all the parts, learning from you guys who have already made the mistakes and are willing to share the knowledge - but I have to say its frustrating at times trying to figure out what is what.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mandzach:

Yeah I agree it can be hard to figure out what to go with with so many choices. I am hoping my stock rims with 285/75R16's are going to work with Donahoe CO's and the Camburg UCA's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts