TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get new tires eventually and i came across the Cooper STT tire and i like it and the price but cant get any real info on them. I want to know how true to size they run i.e. is a 33x12.50 actually a 33" or is it 32 and some change, and also the weight of the tire. I normally get this kinda tire info from Tirerack but they dont carry coopers.

any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
theres a pretty extensive thread in here on the STT's. I wanted some for my last set, but bought KM2's instead. Looking into the Toyo MT or STT again, but will prob go with the STT. I dont know how much they weigh, but they seem to last very well on lighter trucks, have a real good amortek sidewall (pro comp XMT shares same type and they worked well for me), have a good tread pattern (similar to Toyo), and from what i hear is a very good/tough DD tire. Check out tread depo.com for a good price ;)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's where I was looking to buy from. Found out from sears online that they do run fairly true to size.

Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
I also am considering on purchasing some Cooper tires....

It's come down to these two:

Cooper Discover Radial STT

or

Cooper Discover Radial TEK3

What is the difference between the two?

Theo

·
Registered
366 Posts
I also am considering on purchasing some Cooper tires....

It's come down to these two:

Cooper Discover Radial STT

or

Cooper Discover Radial TEK3

What is the difference between the two?

Theo
No such tire as the TEK3. That refers to Cooper Tires "Armor-Tek3" construction. Claimed to make the tire tougher.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Cooper has 2 tires with the Amor-tek 3ply: STT mud terain and the ST maxx which is more like a hybrid AT/MT. Both are similar in price.

·
Registered
388 Posts
No such tire as the TEK3. That refers to Cooper Tires "Armor-Tek3" construction. Claimed to make the tire tougher.
Oh, I see. I just saw it that way on a website...It was either www.discounttiredirect.com or www.tirerack.com can't remember which one off hand but, they listed the STT's and the STT TEK3's as two different tires. So, I thought it was a variation of the STT..

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
from what I've read in other threads, the only two drawbacks are loud noise and they do not self-clean as well when dealing with mud.

But they do look very similar to the Toyos but cost much less. Seems overall like a great tire.

What are you intending to use the tires for? Highway driving and some wheeling? More wheeling than highway? etc.

·
Registered
388 Posts
from what I've read in other threads, the only two drawbacks are loud noise and they do not self-clean as well when dealing with mud.

But they do look very similar to the Toyos but cost much less. Seems overall like a great tire.

What are you intending to use the tires for? Highway driving and some wheeling? More wheeling than highway? etc.
Honestly, I'd be on pavement most of the time. I don't go offroad as much as I'd like to.... Time & Money are huge factors in the equasion that unfortunately I have a serious lack of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
tireeasy.com sells cooper stt tires if your interested. i sell a lot of those at my tire shop and they seem to hold up well. Lasting around 35,000 miles, also they are much lighter than the toyo mt.

·
Registered
388 Posts
neither one have STTs... and tirerack doesnt carry coopers
It was Discount Tire that had the Cooper STT's for sale....and listed them seperatly which led me to believe that the TEK3 was a different tire or something.

I wish I was able to get these in 33x10.5x15 or 255x85x16
That way when I lift the truck, everything would fit right. On the down side of running tires that big, I was informed that I would more than likely have to regear....which is not in the budget.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Does anyone know how long the Cooper STT's tend to lastif you mainly drive on pavement?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I got just under 75k miles on my first set. Great, great tire. Great off-road and on-road. They took me through all kinks of terrain with not a single problem. Ice, snow, rocks, soft sand, mud... you name it. My only "negative" about the tire is that when they are new, they collect rocks in the tread like crazy. Then when I get off the trail and on a freeway, you don't want to be behind me. The small stones start to spit out like crazy when I hit freeway speeds. I try to check the tires before I hit the pavement, but sometimes i forget.

Not sure why every one complains about the "noise"... I felt it was mild. Also, when driving freeway only, I consistently got around 320 to 340 miles per tank (stock truck). Incredible for an off-road tire.

Anyway, they wore great too. Never cupped. I was religious about rotating them every 5k though...

They stopped making this tire in stock size (265/70R 16)... so I recently went to a 15" wheel and got 31X10.5s. I've had "E" rated tires on my truck before and hated them!! The only way to keep a "C" rated tire was to go with 31X10.5. My next set will be 32X11.5s. I have some lift now, but I think I'll wait a while for new tires...

For the weekend warrior, hunter, fisherman, and trail guy who drives mostly on-road but wants peace of mind when traveling off-road. The SST can't be beat...

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I would agree with you. I've had the KM2's and the Cooper I can already tell is a superior tire especially in sidewall strength....it's just a really well designed tire.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Does anyone know how long the Cooper STT's tend to lastif you mainly drive on pavement?
My last set would have went about 45k miles if I didn't sell them

They are damn loud. Regardless, I bought them again after my KM2's wore out. They're great in the snow, and great in the rocks/dirt too. Sidewalls are tough to beat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts