TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. We are planning a run up through Coopers Creek WMA. Coopers Creek is about 80 miles north of Atlanta, In the Chattahooche National Forest. It is located between HWY 60 and HWY 180 just north of Suches. I think it is all Fire Service Roads, but I think it should be interesting, and a great time for all. Its always nice to get out in the outdoors with some other Toyota guys, its going to be a mixed group, and I hear all of the trails SHOULD be 2WD friendly for PreRunner guys also, I would like to have a good Showing of Toyota's there, so bring as many rigs as you can get drivers for. I think we are going to meet up around Suches, Saturday morning of the 5th. Thought I would give you guys a little time to plan. Just post up here, and let me know who's coming, Thanks!!

-Chris

EDIT: HEADCOUNT!!

Okay so far as a headcount we have:

Me - 04 Taco 2WD
John - 99 Subie Baja AWD
Mike - one of the herd
David - 00 Taco 4WD

(MTXE) Andy is a maybe...?
(RedTacoTJM) is a maybe...?
(TheLessModifiedTaco) is a maybe...?
Pathfinder Guy is a maybe...?
John's Yota guy is a maybe...?
4inT100 is a maybe...?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Count me in! I might try out my 'new' 96, and see how that ELocker works.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hey Chris,

This is a little out of your way for this trip, but I know you make it up to Helen occasionally so I thought I might point you in the direction of another 2X friendly trail. The place is called Hardman Rd and is located off of Helen Highway (75N) between Cleveland and Helen (just before Nora Mills if you're heading north). This is a short (1-2mi) powerline road that has some nice mud holes that you and your 4X4 friends can play in. It's been a few years since I really got in the bigger holes, but at that time they wouldn't have any problems swallowing 33's. But like I said, the big holes are all optional.

While I'm at it, you might also want to check out a road that follows Helton Creek; I believe it's named Helton Creek Rd. From Neels Gap/Blood Mtn on 129, head towards Blairsville and Vogle SP. Take the first road to the right (it's easy to miss). The road will go through a little retirement community thing and enter into FS lands. After a couple of miles, you will come to a small pullout for Helton Creek Falls. Take a look at both of the waterfalls. The gravel road then winds through the woods for a few miles and crosses Helton Creek and a few other streams along the way. The road will come to an end on Richard Russell Scenic Parkway. While it's not technically difficult it is a nice backwoods road that is very scenic and worth the trip if you are already in the area.

Enjoy and let me know if you need better directions!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome Chris, I appreciate the tips, I'll have to check them out!

Mike - is it just gonna be 1 truck from your group? Just trying to get a headcount. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
what kind of terrain is at coopers creek? I want be able to make it the 5th but i've heard some good things about it and thought about making a weekend out of it or something. If that would be at all possible to camp up there or some where close.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll leave that one open to Mike, it'll be my first time at Coopers Creek, we will be going back the 26th of May, if you would like to join us then...

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool when we get a real plan together, I'll post up meeting times, I think some of us will probably meet up here near ATL somewhere, and head up to Suches together where we will meet Mikes crew, and then head on out.

·
Registered
382 Posts
would we go up 400 or what?

I live near exit 1 on 400

I can meet anywhere (If I can go) who lives the furthest north...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Ill try to go..depends if i get new tires by then or not..or if boss will let me off...im going to SETO for sure.so ya..just keep me informed

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'll leave that one open to Mike, it'll be my first time at Coopers Creek, we will be going back the 26th of May, if you would like to join us then...

the 26th is my b-day, so that would be fun little gift to myself.
matter of fact if the weather holds out for the 26th up there im about 75% sure i could make it.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
i really want to go (since i messed up the last trip)...but i got to check with the parents to make sure its ok

also i have a couple of buddies who would love to go (one with a taco, and the other with a chevy, but he might just ride with me :) )...i just got to check it all out with them

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
WoW, where have I been?? Actually, I just got in at 10 from BLACKSBURG VA. 'Flew up there to pay respects, and drive another 4Runner home... a 98 SR5 3.4/5speed!! FUN to drive, and got 26 mpg. It will be for sale though...
-----------------------------

-----------------------------
Chris, I 'm not sure if I can drive more than one truck at the same time... any tips on that? LOL, Jordan won't be home from skool yet, so It'll just be 'me' and perhaps Jared from my crew as of now. We'll either drive Whitey, or the Red Baron.
Cooper has lots of places to set up a primitive camp. Lake Winfield Scott is just up the road also, and probably has places to camp. I am on waiting list for a cabin at the R Ranch...
If you take 400 to the top, and go sraight (becomes hwy 115), catch the 19/60 bypass up and over Dahlonega... then, where those two highways diverge is a place called "Stonepile Gap", also the entrance to the R Ranch. Continue on hwy 60 to Suches, about another 5 miles. Just after you go past the lake, there is "TWO" which is a motorcycle resort-hostle on the left, and on the right is where highway 180 starts. There is a gas station right there, usually hosting many motorbikes in the parking lot. THAT is a good place to meet. When you continue on 180, you will notice an early 80s white 4Runner up on a hill on the left, and about 3/4 mile on the left is "Flatland" road. That is where we pick up the wilderness road to Cooper Creek.
It is 2-wheel-able IMO, but there are several good creeks to ford, and some very bumpy rocky areas, some steep. Along the way are some clearings that would make a good place to just stop, set up some lawn chairs and hang out for a while if you like that.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike sounds great to me. EVeryone who is interested, I will get with mike...are you coming to gray rock mike? In any case, I'll get with mike by this next week, and get times and everything settled up and I will post them here.... Andy and anyone else who is interested in meeting int he ATL area, we can definitely do that, as I live way out west of ATL in douglasville, and will be heading through ATL. I'll just need to know by wednesday or thursday of that week. (May 2nd or 3rd so that I can figure exactly where to meet everyone) just let me know.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I cannot attend Grey Rock... there was something else already going on for me...

'could always meet at my place, its about half way for you Chris

·
Registered
489 Posts
I always forget to check this section. Count me in! and possibly a friend with a 4x4 pathfinder too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
would we go up 400 or what?

I live near exit 1 on 400

I can meet anywhere (If I can go) who lives the furthest north...
is that the exit for Lenox?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Okay so far as a headcount we have:

Me - 04 Taco 2WD
John - 03 Subie Baja AWD
Mike - one of the herd
David - 00 Taco 4WD

(MTXE) Andy is a maybe...?
(RedTacoTJM) is a maybe...?
(TheLessModifiedTaco) is a maybe...?
Pathfinder Guy is a maybe...?
John's Yota guy is a maybe...?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I think I could make it. I need to get out and actually do some wheeling in my truck

1 - 20 of 131 Posts