TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few of us are getting together for a run out to Corral Canyon. Anyone want to join us, let us know. Here you go, some info:

San Diego Run on Sat. May 19th from Bear Valley to Los Pinos Trail (Corral Canyon OHV):

Meet:

From places North of San Diego take the 5 south to 805 south to I8 east OR take the 15 south to I8 east. Continue on I8 east past El Cajon to Alpine. For reference, it is about 110 mi. from Santa Ana, CA to Alpine, CA.

9AM at Tavern Road exit in Alpine CA, south side of fwy at the Carl's Jr. parking lot. Gas and food are available (you need to gas up here). We will be leaving promptly at 9:15 AM so be early, not late.

If you are late, proceed past the Pine Valley exit on I8 to Buckman Springs Rd.

Equipment:

Your 4x4 vehicle in good working order, same size spare tire, tow points front and rear, tow strap without metal hooks. Food and beverages (no alcohol on the trail). Camping gear if you are staying overnight.

Trip description:

We are doing sidewinder and bronco peak now, with a possible run up to the observation tower due to the loop not being open.

MODIFIED 4x4s HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! Lift, bigger tires, and some armor!!

Exiting at At Buckman Springs Rd., we will proceed south for 3+ mi. then west on Corral Canyon Rd. for 5.6 mi. to the Four Corners Trailhead.

We will finish back at four corners.

The Corral Canyon OHV area runs all around the Los Pinos Trail Area. Some spur trails are ATV and bikes only, while others are 4x4 also.

**Adventure Pass IS REQUIRED!!. $5 for day pass, $30 for year. Passes available at Ranger Station near Alpine or get one early.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm assuming the entire loop is open again after the fire?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I guess I will be there around 9AM to get some $4 gas and a Carls breakfast (yum).

Do we know if Bronco Peak and Sidewinder are open? (Medium+ ... definately want sliders and damage more likely)

·
Registered
967 Posts
Just found this on the website:
An Adventure Pass may be required for all vehicles parked anywhere on the Cleveland National Forest. The pass IS required in OHV areas. Please contact the district office to find out where you will need one in order to park.

Bottom line - We all need to make sure we have an Adventure Pass.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
please do not do the fire road from pine vally ouy to buckman springs, it creayes a very dangerous situation for the mc riders...just skip that and go to four corners...unless you like graded dirt roads...wait this is ttora. there is a very dificult 5 inch ledge on that ROAD, take lots of pictures:rolleyes:

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
please do not do the fire road from pine vally ouy to buckman springs, it creayes a very dangerous situation for the mc riders...just skip that and go to four corners...unless you like graded dirt roads...wait this is ttora. there is a very dificult 5 inch ledge on that ROAD, take lots of pictures:rolleyes:
Why are you giving us crap Mike? We can go right to four corners from Buckman, that is no problem, but why the hatin?:rolleyes:

I fixed the first post and took out the first section. We will get off at Buckman now..........just for you Mike.....:D

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Thanks!
be sure to at least go up the lower half of bronco peak from the east side of CC, the upper half isnt bad either but as soon as you go down the west side:eek:

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I was out there a few weeks ago the loop was NOT open. The only way up was going past the lookout tower...basically going backwards. The trail there has been grated for fire crews and is no longer fun.

The open areas are Bronco Peak and Sidewinder.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
marc would know.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Can't you move the run closer to my house so I can still not go, but be able to watch you guys instead?
That'd be great, thanks.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I guess we are changing the run then to do sidewinder and bronco only then.....thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Darren...things may have changed, but there is a locked gate when you leave 4 corners and head down to the campground/beginning of the loop.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So Corral Canyon road is closed, but the Los Pinos loop is still open according to their map and trail open/closed page. We will see when we get there I guess =)

·
Registered
169 Posts
The road up to the lookout is paved now, and the fun part of the Espinoza loop (the climb up to the lookout tower) is grated and no longer fun...

You are better off going the other way and hitting Sidewinder and/or Bronco Peak

Who knows...maybe I will join you guys....

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would be good to see you again Marc. Then YOU could lead us! :D

We only have a few trucks right now, and I will be happy with that....

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I thought about going on this run & I've read a little & seen some pix.
Last post says only a few trucks are going, so now I have some Q's...

Are the trails we're takin' for a beginner or skilled driver?
Would a stock 4x4 Tacoma or Tundra make it?

:driving:

·
Registered
109 Posts
So I thought about going on this run & I've read a little & seen some pix.
Last post says only a few trucks are going, so now I have some Q's...

Are the trails we're takin' for a beginner or skilled driver?
Would a stock 4x4 Tacoma or Tundra make it?

:driving:
On a scale of 1-10 I am being told it's about a 6 & 1/2 difficulty. A stock Taco or Tundra would need a lot of help.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts