TTORA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
What did he buy it for, rock crawling or mall crawling, that's the first question. He could always follow sparky if he wants to keep it mild with the option to play around.

Technically, he's my boss. Haha.

I'm pretty sure he bought it because he saw me get mine and go out every weekend. Also, when we went to Vegas for a convention, I drove and we mashed that powerline road back from stateline. He had a blast.

I know he doesn't plan on building a "rock crawler" but he does want to build up to 3" lift and 33's, armor, sliders, etc and go out on trails.

So not a mall crawler I think.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Technically, he's my boss. Haha.

I'm pretty sure he bought it because he saw me get mine and go out every weekend. Also, when we went to Vegas for a convention, I drove and we mashed that powerline road back from stateline. He had a blast.

I know he doesn't plan on building a "rock crawler" but he does want to build up to 3" lift and 33's, armor, sliders, etc and go out on trails.

So not a mall crawler I think.

That's how we all start...

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you don't want to be separated, I would suggest you guys hang out together on a different day. You should let him ride shotgun though! If he decides to join us, we'll have a chill day on the perimeter roads.

I already told him that we would split up because I wouldn't want to do an "easy" run. That's not an issue.

I just re-read the trail debrief and realized that it doesn't look like there is an "easy" trail group like there was up in Big Bear.

·
The Ex
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I already told him that we would split up because I wouldn't want to do an "easy" run. That's not an issue.

I just re-read the trail debrief and realized that it doesn't look like there is an "easy" trail group like there was up in Big Bear.
In case some people didn't know, I've sold the Tacoma and got myself a 1994 Landcruiser. She's all stock but we'll be making this one for her maiden voyage! I'll be leading an easy run around the perimeter road and up to visit the fire watch. It'll be nice to put some dirt under my feet again.

What am I? Chopped liver? :winking:

·
Registered
103 Posts
What HAM frequency will you be running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marc, I'll monitor CLARA on I5 then Mt Laguna on I8 on the way there if you want to talk on the drive. I'm gonna head out around 6:30 since I drive slow but you'll probably catch me before we hit the 8.

CLARA (Santiago Peak) 145.220 -.600 PL 103.5
Mt Laguna 147.150 +.600 PL 107.2

·
Registered
83 Posts
Jacumba Mtns and Valley of the Moon on Sunday?

Since I'm camping on Saturday night, I'm thinking about heading over to the Jacumba Mtns, Smuggler's Cave, Elliott Mine, and Valley of the Moon on Sunday morning. It's about 35-40 mins away on pavement (east of Corral Canyon) to the In-Koh-Pah exit for the Valley of the Moon trail. The trails look like something up TTORA's alley. There's also the Desert Tower and Boulder Park near by that I want to check out on pavement (just north of In-Koh-Pah exit). If no one wants to go, I'll only head over to the Tower and Boulder Park as I don't want to be on the trails by myself.

Marc

I stole the following pictures off of Expedition Portal that some group did in 2011.

Long fence along the way to Jacumba Mtns

Valley of the Moon

·
Registered
13 Posts
That long fence is the border.

As for the radio freq I don't think I will be able to talk on it. I put it in the radio though. I have a kenwood tk790 which is a comerical and not a ham radio.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep. Take a look on Google Earth. I don't think it crosses over the rocky terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The photo is the border fence. The mountain in the picture it does not go over but it picks up on the other side. It runs off and on all the way to the east side of the otay mountains. Then a solid fence to the ocean. Going east of that picture it picks up on the east side of the mountains and runs solid to east of Yuma.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Camping Saturday night?

So is anyone camping on Saturday night? I was planning on getting there early and trying to find a spot at Corral Canyon campground or Bobcat Meadow campground if they let me check in early. They are "first come, first serve" sites and each CG has 20 sites. FYI - each campground does NOT have potable water so you'll have to bring your own.

Marc

·
Registered
367 Posts
So is anyone camping on Saturday night? I was planning on getting there early and trying to find a spot at Corral Canyon campground or Bobcat Meadow campground if they let me check in early. They are "first come, first serve" sites and each CG has 20 sites. FYI - each campground does NOT have potable water so you'll have to bring your own.

Marc

I'm won't be camping this trip, but that's good to know.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Are we doing breakfast in Escondido again?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 62 Posts