TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Saturday (1/9/10) S.C.U.F.F. is participating in trail work at the OHV and is looking for volunteers.

This Saturday January 9 at 9:30 am work will start on new 4x4 trail #11, The Motorcycle Tot Lot, And the motorcycle single track trail the length of the park. It is all marked out and ready to be cleared and groomed. Richard needs volunteer manpower. Tools and instruction will be provided. We need to bring safety glasses of some type, gloves, water, and lunch. It dosnt sound like very heavy work just grooming the original trek. Its our park and we have a golden opportunity to improve it considerably. I volunteered us to work on the 4x4 trail 11 if you would like to join us it would be appreciated. If you can make it please post up so we know how many to expect. Meet at 9:00 sharp at four corners parking area.
If interested in joining (I'm going to try re-arranging my weekend schedule to accommodate this), please sign up at
http://www.socalultimate4x4.com/index.php/topic,2758.0.html

Thank you!

Rick

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
We can't just show up?

I don't really feel like joining ANOTHER ONLINE FORUM just so I can post up, and say that I might be there...

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We can't just show up?

I don't really feel like joining ANOTHER ONLINE FORUM just so I can post up, and say that I might be there...
Then just show up :)

SCUFF's good people - even though the majority are Jeepers. I've done a few CC cleanups and went on a few of the 'their' runs....

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's awesome! Good for yall. So where is OHV? I would love to help out but I work on saturdays....lame

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok I just got off the phone with Richard again... Update

If you have a shovel, hardhat or loppers it might be good to bring them as well as the glasses and gloves.
if not no biggie they will have them.

If your there to work on the trails no Adventure pass is needed tomorrow.

Be there around 9:00 or so for the paperwork ect. Work will start at 9:30... If your late find us and will get ya caught up on what to do.

Thanks again to everyone, not the most exciting way to spend your Saturday but one of the best ways to spend that I can think of.

And I have no answers why our group is mostly jeeps other than there just must be more of them out there, Im guessing... Its not by design! LOL Thanks guys for the help.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys for the help this weekend... We had a large group composed of several different clubs and forums to cut the new trails... It's group efforts like these that really gets things done. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone out on the new trail. Thanks Again to everyone who showed up to help, and to Rick for all the behind the scene things your doing...

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
It was fun (until I bent my driveshaft on the way off the new trail at the end of the day). My buddy and I actually had a great time putting in an honest day's work and helping to clear well over half of the 1st new trail loop.

I was the token 'Toyota Guy', and the lone TTORA representative among the Jeepers, but all in all it really was a great bunch of guys. Hopefully we can do this again in the near future, and get more of these new trails cleared and open. Hopefully we can draw more TTORA guys out too. Corral Canyon is probably the best local wheeling area to San Diego. TTORA should try to take a more active interest in maintaining it.

Many hands make light work!

#1: This is our group walking the proposed new trail route before we started clearing it:

#2: This was the first little section that we cleared off of the main trail (Trail #11), everybody started pulling their rigs up as we went:

#3: This was the second little rocky section that we cleared. I pulled my truck up so we could enjoy Satellite Radio while we labored:

#4: This is us clearing our way up to the top of the hill which is almost the 1/2-way point in the new loop. You can see everyone working up the hill:

#5 & #6: My truck up at the top, near the 1/2-way point of the new loop:

#7: Here's a video of me coming up one of the new obstacles we cleared. Getting turned around to go back down this at the end of the day is what effed my D-shaft:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for repping SoCal TTORA :kewl: and sorry to hear about your d-shaft... :saw::welder:

You've run both Bronco and Sidewinder? How is this one going to compare difficulty-wise?

I agree, Corral Canyon is a great local place, we try to have one event there each year...

Anyway, thanks for helping out - really wish I could have gone :(

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
i would have been out there lending a helping hand if i wasn't swamped building my bumper this weekend. im out in corral canyon all the time with my bike, and owe it to the park to help with making some new trails. trails all compltere? or are more hands gonna be needed to finish this?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
You've run both Bronco and Sidewinder? How is this one going to compare difficulty-wise?
The work we were doing were just making optional "Challenge Loops" - as the Ranger called them - off of Trail 11, a.k.a. "Gunslinger", to make that trail a little more difficult.

These loops are not going to make the overall trail that much harder, but there will be some optional obstacles that will be very tricky. There are some that I don't think can be done without a full-on total exo'd Rock Buggy.

im out in corral canyon all the time with my bike, and owe it to the park to help with making some new trails. trails all compltere? or are more hands gonna be needed to finish this?
No - the trails are not complete. We started the longest of 3 loops that are already planned and laid out, and we got that 1 loop about 65% complete. That whole loop is drivable, but if you did the whole thing, you should expect quite a bit of pinstriping, and possibly a punctured tire.

There is PLENTY of more work to be done. The Ranger said that any club that wants to can come out and do work on these trails ANY TIME, and people are welcome to go out individually and work on the trails. If you contact the Rangers you do not need an Adventure Pass to be working on the trails, and you are also permitted to drive in these areas that aren't technically open yet.

The head guy from SCUFF said that he would be posting up more info, and the maps with the new loops on them - but probably on the SCUFF board.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm not much of a TTORA member, my wife just has a stock 4runner, but I am a SCUFFer, good times this weekend, thanks for coming out.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Were you out there? I only saw 2 other Toyotas. 1 was there to wheel (blue bobbed 83 p/u), and there was somebody there working on the trail with us with a topless 2nd gen 4Runner.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wasn't there in the wife's, it has a rock knock, looking for a replacement 3.4....any tips on where to find one?

I was driving the, uh, "bulldozer" dodge. :D The guy with the red 4runner is Mike, AKA Snotrocket, he's from SD, used to be stationed in Yuma and run around with us IV4x4ers. We were working in from the other end of the trail towards you guys. The black TJ with the stinger bumpers, and the nice newly lifted blue JK with the blond girl driving it. The older CJ was CJ54X, he lives up there, Descanso, I think.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I was driving the, uh, "bulldozer" dodge. :D
Oh - that was you, huh!!! LOL!

We were laughing our asses off at you coming up that hill where the 2 groups met. That was nuts! Didn't you puntcture your tire? Did you plug it, or what?

...and I have no idea where to find a 3.4 around here.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh - that was you, huh!!! LOL!

We were laughing our asses off at you coming up that hill where the 2 groups met. That was nuts! Didn't you puntcture your tire? Did you plug it, or what?

...and I have no idea where to find a 3.4 around here.
Yeah, holes in both fronts, plugged them. I shoulda run some of my old bald tires.

67 Dismantlers has a couple for $1200...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts