TTORA Forum banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
UPDATE TIME...

Well, sold the boat, so its back to wheelin again!!! Just ordered a UHMW hawse fairlead for the rear, so now that will be taken care of. Soon as I get all the boat deal finalized, and get my new wheelin trip setup bought, I'm goina order new springs, and stuff to 3 link the front. Goina try and get it lifted, new brake lines, new shocks, new springs, and the 3 link done between August 16th and Sept 23rd... should be interesting!

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Lose the UHMW fairlead, especially if you ordered it from SKY. Total piece of crap. I have one you can have if you'd like to use it. Go with a steel Hawse for cable or aluminum for rope. UHMW just didn't work for me.

Glad to see you're back, Cory!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
that woulda been great to know about 2 days ago!!!

oh well... i'll run the sky until I can get something else.

Glad to be back Jordan! you makin it up to smorr in a couple weeks? be good to see some of ya guys, almost forgot what ya look like.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Dang, wish I could've saved you that trouble. Hopefully yours will be fine and mine was just defective. Oh well...

Can't make the SMORR run. Got a wedding :(

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Well, bunch of parts arrived yesterday and Thursday, and ordering more today...

What arrived Thursday
7 Slee stainless extended brake lines

What arrived yesterday:
Set of OME 850 front coils
Set of OME N73 and N74 shocks
OME Caster correction kit
OME steering stabilizer
(Already have a set of OME 863 rear springs)

What I'm ordering today:
DBA slotted and heat treated front and rear rotors
PBR Heavy Duty 4WD brake pads
MAF Heavy Relay Rod
All 4 Jap Tie Rod ends from MAF

This all should get my soggy brakes, bent relay rod, and belly dragging under control... and give me some spare tie rod ends for the trail... (pullin the old ones out and keeping them for trail spares.)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #128

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
The only nice thing I can say about it is that it's probably functional...

Other than that, it looks like the owner found an old school jungle gym at an elementary school and said, "Yea, that'll work just fine..."

To each his own, but I don't care much for it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Got the new springs and shocks installed... Its a bit higher than I thought it would wind up... I guess I just need to carry more people and cold beverages...

Also installed the rear extended brake line with no issues... front not having the same luck... they are made a little shorter at the connection so you have to stretch the metal lines a bit... plus the flare nut on the metal lines is mushroomed and needs to be filed...

Finally surveyed the damage from the last wheelin trip... looks like I managed to bend a radius arm, tie rod, relay rod, tow hook, and possibly the front frame end... got new tie rod and relay rods on the way... tow hooks are coming off, frame is no biggie... The radius arm I have NO idea how it could bend, but it did... just goina live with it til it breaks or til I get a 3-link done.

Pics to come.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
I have some after pics... work on getting them posted... should be some before pics somewhere in this thread... Everytime I do substaintial work to it, I take a series of measurements... Soon as I get the brake lines finished I'll pull it over to the pad and take the measurements to figure out how much exactly... If I had to guess, 4-6" in the rear and 3-5" in the front. I'm hoping after some driving it will settle a bit.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
ok... time for some pics.... still a work in progress with more pics to follow:

First up some more parts ordered:
The new heavy duty relay rod from MAF to replace the bent stock one:

New taillights that are going in the tailgate to replace the stock ones on the corners:

New brake setup (pads and rotors) to compliment the new stainless brake lines:

Now for some lift pics:
Rear springs/shocks installed:

Front springs/shocks installed:

How it currently sits (more to come):

And some current work in progress, installing new pads/rotors:

Also got the relay rod installed, the steering stabilizer installed... still need to install the caliper brake lines, do the rear axle, adjust the caster, and install/wire the new taillights. Hope to be road ready by the end of the weekend.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
ya i know.. but not a full trail rig yet... that enclosure is running the same style of lights I've got... Only reason I'm going with the gate, I know they'll be safe... plus, after the install if I want some nice bling LED ones to fancy it up, i can go that route later... this route is functional and CHEAP. And its a wheelin rig, pretty does not necessarily make it a good idea. I'm good with ugly, means people wont steal my crap.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
ya i know.. but not a full trail rig yet... that enclosure is running the same style of lights I've got... Only reason I'm going with the gate, I know they'll be safe... plus, after the install if I want some nice bling LED ones to fancy it up, i can go that route later... this route is functional and CHEAP. And its a wheelin rig, pretty does not necessarily make it a good idea. I'm good with ugly, means people wont steal my crap.
:kewl:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Got the caliper brake lines installed, and the brakes bled. Have great pedal feel when its not running, but as soon as you start it, it gets mushy. Working on figuring that one out.

Also took a break from the brakes to work on the tailights... got the old ones out, got the new ones in and wired up, but I dont have brake lights. Tail and reverse work, but the turns are weak, and brake doesnt work at all, so I've got to do some digging on that one too... soon as I get all that sorted out, it should be back on the road!

Pics and specs from the lift and work to come, soon as its all done!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Got the caliper brake lines installed, and the brakes bled. Have great pedal feel when its not running, but as soon as you start it, it gets mushy. Working on figuring that one out.

Also took a break from the brakes to work on the tailights... got the old ones out, got the new ones in and wired up, but I dont have brake lights. Tail and reverse work, but the turns are weak, and brake doesnt work at all, so I've got to do some digging on that one too... soon as I get all that sorted out, it should be back on the road!

Pics and specs from the lift and work to come, soon as its all done!
I don't know what you're using as far as lights go (I should read the whole post huh?) but remember that imports use amber turn signals and require a little converter box when wiring to conventional (US) lights without amber lenses. If that's the problem you should be able to pick up a little trailer wiring kit for converting to standard US type brake lights and wire according to the instructions. Easy fix.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Picture time... First up that new relay rod installed:

Next, rear brake rotors and pads... and all the stainless lines

New taillight setup... still need to cover up the factory holes with sheetmetal. its a work in progress. right now just tryin to get it ready to wheel.

Finally some brief test shots of the springs and shocks. It could have been lifted higher, if you'll notice no wheels are off the ground yet, i was just looking for binding or anything else that wasnt quite right.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts
About this Discussion
173 Replies
16 Participants
colsoncj
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing