TTORA Forum banner

141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Your painting thewheels black to huh. Looks good.
workin on it... got 3 done, the two fronts and the spare. two more to go. still got some bugs to work out from the lift and all the work, hopin it'll be ready to go to the fall crawl at SMORR. and what, no comment on my crappy taillights?

Which BTW... I picked up a tailgate to chop the back... soon as all thats done (hopefully over the winter) it'll be ready for an exo of sorts, so I'll prob need to hook up with you and talk about some work. I'm thinkin somethin like Ron's jeep.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
workin on it... got 3 done, the two fronts and the spare. two more to go. still got some bugs to work out from the lift and all the work, hopin it'll be ready to go to the fall crawl at SMORR. and what, no comment on my crappy taillights?

Which BTW... I picked up a tailgate to chop the back... soon as all thats done (hopefully over the winter) it'll be ready for an exo of sorts, so I'll prob need to hook up with you and talk about some work. I'm thinkin somethin like Ron's jeep.
We will have to talk when your ready. I'm shure we can work something out. You have my number? Faber- (870) to fo ow six won fie won I am soon to be having some scedule changes at work. I'm not shure exactly how itl effect anything but its coming.

I figured I had already said to much about the tail lights. It takes commitment to go cutting holes in the gate like that. props!

·
Registered
366 Posts
We will have to talk when your ready. I'm shure we can work something out. You have my number? Faber- (870) to fo ow six won fie won I am soon to be having some scedule changes at work. I'm not shure exactly how itl effect anything but its coming.

I figured I had already said to much about the tail lights. It takes commitment to go cutting holes in the gate like that. props!
commitment = it's my truck n I got the balls to cut holes in a perfectly good tailgate
so . . . what's next, doing a convertible chop?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
commitment = it's my truck n I got the balls to cut holes in a perfectly good tailgate
so . . . what's next, doing a convertible chop?
yup and yup... goin for the 4 door pickup kinda thing... like a explorer sport trac... moving the D pillar to the C pillar.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I figured I had already said to much about the tail lights.
Naw, I wasnt worried about it... I decided I was doin something different and my stubborn self stuck to it!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Well another update... Got the caster correction bushings in. No idea what my caster is at, but it drives a WHOLE lot better... way more sure-footed. Did another check on the suspension/steering for any binding. all looks good. Can lift a front tire 30" before any other tire comes off, 31.5" for a rear. Also started working on some body/paint. Got one of the taillight covers welded in, need a little bit of bondo on it and it will be good. Other side is tacked in, going to finish welding it tonight. Also started welding up the holes from the fender flares. My roommate also got the entire body sanded down yesterday, getting it ready for paint. Should have all the welding done, and maybe the paint by tomorrow. Will post some pics when I get some time!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Picture time:

Starting on welding up the tail light buckets...

Rolled sheetmetal to fill with:

Welded in:

Body sanded down:

Welded up holes for flares, laying on some spot putty to fill:

Start priming:

Letting the coats dry:

Tape/Paper removed:

Pulled out the next day:

Way back from wheeling the next day:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Where is the 01 on the doors?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I do like the orange, what actual color did u use? How did u apply it?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Update time again... got a few more wheelin trips in, found some more weak links... lower control arms on the rear have to be replaced with something heavier... managed to bend both of them. Soon as the funds situation approves, I'm going to get some johnny joints and some DOM and make some new ones... til then its still wheelable, its just not streetable. Probably start working on parts for a front 3link at the same time.

Until then, I gotta work on getting it even wheelable. Came across a decent deal on some tires, and decided to jump on it... they have a bit of dry rot, but for wheeling only tires, i dont really care... if it was to do 60 down a freeway, might be a different story, but its about to the point I only wheel it, and in a pinch, drive it to work. Tires I ended up getting are 38.5 x 11.00 boggers... now boggers werent my first choice, but i like the tall and narrow and the price was right... now the joy of making them fit. For the rear, I'll just need to install a 1" bump stop. to prevent excessive uptravel. for the front, I'm looking at some rear inner fender work, trim some off the bumper corners, and some other trimming on the inner fender/front core support interface. No idea what its goina take on the top of the fender opening, but if its too aggressive, i'm going to look at using a larger bump stop to limit the trimming required. should have some flex pics up before long....

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey Cory, just got live on ttora and checking out the 80 stuff, great build thread!! i'm subscribed :)

I have to admit I was getting scared when I saw the pics of sanding down the body.. but holy cow that thing looks sweet now! the color is great, super unique for an 80 for sure, and to boot it totally brings the new taillight package full circle. perfect retro look IMHO :kewl:

being in cali first thing that came to mind with your new taillights was that they're not too visible from the sides. 'round here you could be worried about getting a fixit tikit for that or something. probably not so applicable to your case but just a thought

keep the updates/great documentation &pics comin!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Ya, not too big of a deal around here... and it still has the side markers on it.

Thanks for the comments! I should have more pics up sometime (sorry Anthony) of the cut job and the 38.5"s.

141 - 160 of 174 Posts
About this Discussion
173 Replies
16 Participants
colsoncj
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing