TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are you guys spending on driveshaft work?
long slipshaft/spline addition?lengthening?
thanks.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Locally $250–$300. That is if and when you can get the shops to quote you. The good ones around here have lousy C.S so they try to stick it to you and not give you a price until they do the work.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Spent $450. to get my front lengthened with smaller dia/ heavier wall tube.

Rear (front) section shortened, with heavier / smaller dia. tube.

And rear (rear) section slightly lengthened, and re-tubed with heavier/ smaller tube, and all of course, balanced.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Adam Ant said the stockton driveline place charged about 200 to lengthen a stocker, add on 150 for a CV or long slip.

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
KRYPTO(dale) said:
what are you guys spending on driveshaft work?
thanks.
Hey Dale, I think mine was something in the area of $400.

long slipshaft: YES
spline addition: Don't think so, maybe.
lengthening: YES
New Flange/u-joint: YES (1350)
Sleeved: YES (maybe 188, think it was thicker 219)
Balanced: YES

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Heatstroke said:
Hey Dale, I think mine was something in the area of $400.

long slipshaft: YES
spline addition: Don't think so, maybe.
lengthening: YES
New Flange/u-joint: YES (1350)
Sleeved: YES (maybe 188, think it was thicker 219)
Balanced: YES

LOL $400 for a driveshaft, gold plated?
I got a .210 walled CHROMOLY rear driveshaft for $145....balanced.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i will most likely build a square front d/shaft.since my truck is mostly trail only..can a square rear d/shaft be balanced good enough for street use? is it strong enough?i havent heard of any rear square d/shafts.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Dale don't run a square in the rear on the street. You don't need a long slip in the rear.
I have ran my truck at 45-50mph on hwy 50 in 4wd with front square shaft, fawker damn near rattled my teeth out, it probably was not making the rest of my truck happy either. :eek:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
padesertboy said:
:D square fronts are awesome (the loud clangin noise means it working), you running a square rear?
No, I am running a stock rear, there is enough slip in it, even with my chevy springs. My square front is actually solid as hell, it doesn't clack or bang around at all, it is nice and snug. I can easily run at speed without any trouble from it. I guess I got lucky when I built mine, it acts and sounds just like a regular d-shaft.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks Todd!
i dont need long slip in the rear?(chevy springs)
i just worry about it pulling apart..

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
KRYPTO(dale) said:
thanks Todd!

I don't have a taco, so it could be different, I know that Amatoer10 on the board has chevy springs and is still using his stock d-shaft without a problem.

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
padesertboy said:
LOL $400 for a driveshaft, gold plated?
I got a .210 walled CHROMOLY rear driveshaft for $145....balanced.

Do you want a cookie? :bs: Copy the sales reciept, make sure it shows who you dealt with and I'll make sure they see tons of business. :flipoff3:

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
KRYPTO(dale) said:
thanks Todd!

Dale, I too am going to run a square up front. No need to get all crazt up front. I had the rear slip lengthend just to make sure all was good. Some of my cost was to mate it up to my 9". I have no vibes, and it's solid.

·
Registered
933 Posts
The rear only moves horizontally maybe 2" at most. Chevies or any others. The hanger is in the front so it pivots off that. The front d-shaft really only needs to be long if it is leaf sprung and rear shackle. Front shackle or links would also pivot off the rear of the axle. My rear shackle SAS needed 9" of front driveshaft slip so I built a square tube with my old bent rear spare. Total was maybe 70 and about an hour. Burly strong and not too loud. Actually the only time it would ever be used on the road would be during heavy snow. But I try no to use it on the road at all cause it is fully locked. I did make it such that it could be used in the rear in an emergency and actually is smooth up to about 50 mph.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
KRYPTO(dale) said:
thanks Todd!
no problem.
As shovelracer said too, rear leaf springs with the shackle mounted towards the rear of the truck don't need long slip. When they droop the axle is getting closer to the tcase shortening the driveshaft, when you stuff it is extending the drive shaft but since the driveshaft angle is getting less steep the slip doesn't need to travel as far. Compair that to leaf sprung front with shackles towards the rear of the truck. When it droops the axle moves forward and down. This makes the slip to more much work because it is not only dealing with the axle moving forward but the angle getting steeper to, thus shortening the driveshaft.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Heatstroke said:
Do you want a cookie? :bs: Copy the sales reciept, make sure it shows who you dealt with and I'll make sure they see tons of business. :flipoff3:

First of all it`s a friend of a friend-so no sales receipt. I`ll give my address if you want to see it and 3 friends phone numbers to verify the cost :asshat:....lol...must have paid alot for yours :flipoff3:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts