TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all I've been looking at some of your posts regarding bumpers and sliders and one about a hi-lift slider adaptor.

I just wanted to say that's some of the best welding I've seen. Clean lines, great looking cuts, precise measurements, beautiful welds, good support, all around nice job.

That's really all I want to say, Heluva nice job!:welder:

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
LMAO! Good call Troy. But Yes several of us have welders and host HOW's (House Of Wrenching) Often. So what do you have in store for your rig? ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I'm not buttering you guys up for anything just yet. Besides, wouldn't you rather bribery over pats on the back?
Thanks for clearing up "HOW" for me I hadn't had a chance to search for what it meant yet, sucks being a NOOB.
I'm still working on the Taco's plan of attack. Here's some stuff on the list. F+R Tube Bumpers, Rock Sliders, Full Skid Pate protection, CB radio, Better lift kit, get the freakin body lift off, New drivers seat...
I'll try to get a picture of my current rig up sometime in the near future.
Suggestions?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Yeah, I got a suggestion...Dalmore 12, Glenlivet 12, Knob Creek, JD Single Barrel, Chinaco Anejo, and WFTW donations :xsmokin1:. I would consider any of the aforementioned items to be a good trade for fabrication work :lmao:.

On the serious side, building your own stuff is less expensive, but can be extremely time-consuming...even a simple slider kit can take a while, because you're taking a rough-cut setup and finishing it to the truck...who knows how weld-ready the kit really is (the one in question "wasn't").

So you gotta decide...is the money for a completed assembly worth the money, or are there changes you'd make to existing products which would make it worth your time to build? Sometimes the idea you have isn't worth the time it would take to build a one-off, so it has to be a "hobby" project.

Also, FWIW, beware of import DOM masquerading as something you'd want to put on your truck. If the builder isn't using US-made HREW or ERW+cold roll DOM, don't buy from them, and don't be afraid to ask them to prove the new stuff is US-made, if it's a company that's been using import garbage in the past (seeing as how you mentioned sliders and tube bumpers...that is very important).

My other suggestions...building stuff is fun. It can be tedious, but it's fun. The first steps down that road require buying an angle grinder. Good luck buying one that wasn't MIC...at this point in time you're likely better off getting a Horror Freight special, or a factory refurb from a big name, than a new angle grinder from a major label...it just isn't worth the price. At the same time, order (specifically!) a Uvex Bionics face shield with the impact resistant coating, and some earplugs or earmuffs. That way, when you say "I got a project..." you'll be able to help make a huge difference in time, since prep is the majority of the time spent building anything.

-Sean

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Yup, the welding crew loves a guy who preps his work correctly! ;)

I recommend you do the sliders and CB FIRST! If anything a CB. It will make all the difference on trail runs in terms of communicating with the group!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yeah, I got a suggestion...Dalmore 12, Glenlivet 12, Knob Creek, JD Single Barrel, Chinaco Anejo, and WFTW donations :xsmokin1:. I would consider any of the aforementioned items to be a good trade for fabrication work :lmao:.

-Sean

not sure if you heard but Knob Creek is out of Borbuon till Nov. when the next batch of barrels are ready for bottleing.... and if you like that you need to try 1792, Eagle Rare (both the 10 yr and 17 yr), Eiljah Craig.... all single Barrels and very very tasety

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
not sure if you heard but Knob Creek is out of Borbuon till Nov. when the next batch of barrels are ready for bottleing.... and if you like that you need to try 1792, Eagle Rare (both the 10 yr and 17 yr), Eiljah Craig.... all single Barrels and very very tasety
Dude!

Where you been? :confused:

...But anyway, good return post :xpimp:. Not a fan of the Elijah Craig SB...the finish tasted like I was licking a tree. ER is decent stuff tho...haven't tried the other two, or is it three, bottles in that distiller's lineup.

Molly, this is a fabrication thread...where we talk about drinking. The drinking thread is where we talk about wheeling and welding :flipoff4:.

So I would say the Eagle Rare would also be an acceptable bribe for fabrication work :cool:.

My latest weld pic got an attaboy at the OFN, but it's not perfect yet & they said so. Practice practice...it is the long bead. I too know it's not perfect, but it's consistent width and heat, and within each hand position the scallops are consistent. I'll only be happy when I can weld like DUMP...

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I need to get a MIG/TIG machine. I don't care how good you can arc weld. It will never look as nice. Also with some out of position stuff, even if you're really good at that, there is about a 50/50 chance it will work, because if you can't get the perfect rod angle it will look like poo. And when you're welding tight spaces under a truck, good luck getting your 14" rod to the right angle. I've made a lot of stuff happen, that I should not have been able to with an arc welder, but I get a little sick of it.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I need to get a MIG/TIG machine. I don't care how good you can arc weld. It will never look as nice. Also with some out of position stuff, even if you're really good at that, there is about a 50/50 chance it will work, because if you can't get the perfect rod angle it will look like poo. And when you're welding tight spaces under a truck, good luck getting your 14" rod to the right angle. I've made a lot of stuff happen, that I should not have been able to with an arc welder, but I get a little sick of it.
You can get a nice TIG now, fairly simple but very effective, from Miller for a little over a grand. It really puts TIG in the hands of guys like us...previously the machines were multi-thousand dollar.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Yep, I've welded on that machine. Nice stuff. RRCC always had the newest Miller stuff, because we were also a Miller training center, so basically RRCC provided the facility in exchange for some kickass machines we could use. Welding on trucks is difficult with TIG sometimes however, so it would cool to have a combo setup.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I don't think I have the patience for TIG ... would be nice to be able to weld any material with just the extra expense of the rod though...
Its not as bad as you'd think, and for the strength/quality/beauty of the welds, I'd do it any time...Mig for tacking and fill/armor type stuff, tig for axles/frames/warpage type stuff.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Only had about 5 min to demo it, but it seemed just as capable as the monster machines we had, without the hundreds of buttons and settings on it, that I could scarcely tell the difference on. If you're an absolute pro, you might want all the buttons, but for somebody that just gets along with it like me, it was great. Just as AxleIke said, it would be great for axles and frames and stuff, as long as you have ample room to work. The downside of TIG being that you have to fit 2 hands into the area you're working, look very closely at the arc, and hope that you can do almost everything in flat position. Again, unless you're really good. But even then I think just about any welder would prefer MIG in that situation.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
-Thanks all for the suggestions!
-Due to my lack of experience and etc I think I'll end up purchasing rather than fabbing.
-I'm a big fan of Gentlemans JD and Buffalo Trace. I concur most single barrels are nice.
-Devin67 - I have no idea what those acronyms stand for but thanks for the advise. I imagine one or two acronyms refer to metal quality and/or type.
-I'm looking into a few things for right away purchases both the cb and the rockers are on my list as well as having a friend fab up a rear diff slider.
-I'd like to get a nice welder but I just can't justify it yet.
-I did some welding just this weekend, threaded rod onto 2" angle that I made out of 2" box. Nothing special and surely nothing I'd be proud of.

-I went up against a small rock obstacle on Breakneck pass Sat. morning. On my second attempt I rubbed my pass. side nerf bar on the rock. No dents, just some scraped paint off. I know I can't trust nerf bars to act as rock sliders. They did work well as bump alerts though. It reaffirmed the fact that, like all of you are saying, I need to have sliders somewhere at the top of my list.
-I think I'm most likely going to end up with All-Pro sliders.
--any opinions on these or suggestions on others?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Haha....wow there are a lot of acronyms in this thread. Fortunatley, I know what they all mean. But I can see how that would be confusing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts