TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Though our national club is strong i feel that our local club has started to die off. We have become more concerned with getting new members into the club than thinking about the ones that are already in it. I know that everything within this club occurs on a volunteer basis but i feel that the same people that volunteer to help this club need to also realize their own limitations with the ability to commit time to this club. While things are on a volunteer basis i think that those of us that are still active need to take a look at where things are at now. and in all honesty i think that a restructuring of the club isn't out of the question at this point. It is true that we should worry about our new members. But what is the point in bringing them into a club of all new tacoma owners? We have, in fully embracing only one side of the offroad world, isolated and shunned the other. Now our new members are unable to use the vast knowledge that is still available to them because longtime members have become dissinterested with dealing with the club and have struck out on their own instead. I am not saying that where the club is now or the general direction it has been taken in is bad by any means. but i do feel that it is time for a change and new blood be allowed to help make the decisions that need to be made to make this club be everything it could be.

This club is only here because of its members and the members are the ones who ultimately have a say in what goes on within it. I think that a change is in order among other things, but my idea and opinion is just one of many. What does everyone else think, or what do you want the club to do for you?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I understand where your coming from. i am i guess guilty of not being around as much as i used to be. Maybe trying to organize alot more official club events might help a bit. get the members wheeling again instead of posting on here. looking through the member info the other day i noticed that the old club i remember appears to be almost gone. it seems that there are only a few members that were around when i joined still active. i dont think i saw chris, derrick, or any of those guys on there anymore. if you would like some help getting it back on the right track, please let me know. Im making it a point to become more active around here than i have been lately, i miss the way it was. someone always going wheeling.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
simply put i think the first step would be in new leadership. people all have lives outside of this club and i think that if you do you need to realize your priorities. i am sure that people would be more than willing to step up like quirky here to help change the club and get people back and more active

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Brian is around - I am sure he'll chime in.

My 2 cents: This is really tough. You can;t stop a clubn from change. But I do think some of the old skool kids left because of some political fallout. I miss them too. I still keep in touch with Chris, Darrick, Dale and Anthony but it's not like it used ta be. I will say this. I don;t want to sacrifice new membership nor do I want to sacrifice old members at the expense of eachother.

We need to be able to joke around and be ourselves on here. We need to be able to rib eachother and joke and kid, but the new folks also need to know that we do it in jest. Please don't let CoTTORA become as policed as yota tech. I love yota tech for technical stuff but it isn't the fun place that TTORA and CoTTORA is for the very reason that our rules are more lax and we can give eachother a hard time.

When wheeling season is on - we will wheel and I think some of this bad blood will shake out. It always does.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
screw it all... I am starting my own club of one up! Well 2 if you include my alter ego... then I have no one to argue with except for myself! Since there are no members in GJ outside of the Bling... Plus I've had a lof of fun wheeling without the whole CoTTORA drama looming over... I think I need to get some sleep! hee, hee :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
So throw out some specifics Rich...

We're looking to put in a bid to host national ttora takeover in 2007...and we know it takes a team...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
:xbeer2: yep, I remember the very first time I met ANYONE in this club...I had a completely stock truck at the time and I was a nervous wreck because I had only been off roading ONE time in IN before coming to CO...I met a few people who helped me work on my truck and got together for beers and wheeling (not in that order) and we set up our own stuff...we didn't wait around for the "club" to set up stuff...still talk with those guys from a few years back...they're now in FL, NE, MT, CA, OH, TN, IL, WY, NM, and Germany...some are getting married, some are married, others are still single, changed jobs, gone to college, moved back home, had babies...and it wasn't about the drama of "leadership" it was all about meeting people, seeing what cool things they were doing with their trucks, laughing at their stupid jokes (yes I like stupid jokes) and having a good time...dang, I remember driving to Moab the first time on a Friday after work, arriving at 1 a.m., sleeping in my truck, wheeling Hell's Revenge, and driving back (in the snow) with Dukeman on Sat. night so I could catch a flight out the next day to D.C.!!!

Ah yes, I remember Molly at BoJo's while having pizza...and crunchy working at the resort and doing a bumper mod in the street outside fatwreck's place, fireman finally graduating from college (amazing things DO happen), and much much more...

wanna hear more stories? :xbeer2:

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i think its great that we are going to put a bid in for the national takeover... but on the same hand if things continue as they are i fear that our chapter will eventually die out. i agree it isn't about leadership, but activity within leadership is a big key. if no one is at the wheel then which way is the car going to go? i know that the takeover bid has been your baby for a long time and i think that we have a very good chance at that this year. but you trying to juggle both that and taking care of the other matters of the club,(club dinner, planned trail runs, yada) so perhaps we let you continue on in all the matters with takeover and let other people run and take care of the stuff within the club. then after takeover is over next year we can figure something else out from there... you have done great stuff for the club so far but yeah

this is just one idea of mine that allows the club to address the aforementioned stuff along with getting colorado on the make with takeover 2007

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
standing by for volunteer leaders to step to the plate to help...Molly and I have had several conversations along this line...what would you like to handle?

Molly and I talked today about how to tackle all this...and know we're both open to folks stepping to the plate...but the team needs folks to play all positions...decals, t-shirts, hotel info, campsites, trail leads, sponsors, gather trail data, take pictures, find shops willing to work on broken rigs, coordinate meet n greets, figure out weekends in BV/Salina/Leadville/Gunnison areas (when the snow finally melts off), update the website...yeah, lots to do and it all needs people willing to...

what did you want to do again?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
takeover has always been your thing. i would be willing to come back and step up as the prez... i fully understand what you are saying though. and that is why i think it better that we have one person that is fully dedicating all of their efforts towards that. obviously others would help but i know that you have that idea in your mind for what we need for takeover better than anyone else. i on the other hand dont want the club to die off.... and i somewhat stand in the middle ground between newbies and the seasoned guys, no offense or anything to you but yeah. i know that there are other people that would be willing to step up that can commit to the type of activity that this club needs right now. doing all of this is only going to help our takeover bid as an event is only going to be as good as the local chapter supporting it and we dont have that at this point

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Takeover was a vision I caught from Chris M. because we were soooooo close to getting to host under his leadership. Now the time is quickly coming for the region we're in to host again.

I've always been open to and looking for emerging leadership within and coming into the club. I think of the Pres position as the executive oversight/leadership and the VP and Directors as the action folks. The Pres holds everything in perspective, that big picture thing, and the officers each work a section or sections of the club, club events and takeover. I agree, the things certainly won't work if the segregated like you mentioned.

Maturity, sense of responsibility and ability to work with and align many different personalities and opinions with diplomacy are key character ingredients for senior staff.

Hit me with more info bud, what's your plan? We're talking the next 18 to 24 months here...because of greater concern to me is what happens with the club after takeover? My goal is to create a culture where folks with similar interests (tacos, 4runners, off-roading, etc.) and problems (cv shafts, maintenance, tires, etc.) and create a knowledge exchange that reaches beyond the state line. Molly is working with the OH Pres., I'm working with the TX Pres., and we've all met cool folks from CA, UT, NM and other states. That's what I'm thinking it's all about. Well, that and some great stories to tell after events...that's important too!

And everyone else chime in with suggestions too. C'mon I know everyone in this club isn't that bashful.

·
Registered
965 Posts
tacotoy said:
Though our national club is strong i feel that our local club has started to die off. We have become more concerned with getting new members into the club than thinking about the ones that are already in it. I know that everything within this club occurs on a volunteer basis but i feel that the same people that volunteer to help this club need to also realize their own limitations with the ability to commit time to this club. While things are on a volunteer basis i think that those of us that are still active need to take a look at where things are at now. and in all honesty i think that a restructuring of the club isn't out of the question at this point. It is true that we should worry about our new members. But what is the point in bringing them into a club of all new tacoma owners? We have, in fully embracing only one side of the offroad world, isolated and shunned the other. Now our new members are unable to use the vast knowledge that is still available to them because longtime members have become dissinterested with dealing with the club and have struck out on their own instead. I am not saying that where the club is now or the general direction it has been taken in is bad by any means. but i do feel that it is time for a change and new blood be allowed to help make the decisions that need to be made to make this club be everything it could be.

This club is only here because of its members and the members are the ones who ultimately have a say in what goes on within it. I think that a change is in order among other things, but my idea and opinion is just one of many. What does everyone else think, or what do you want the club to do for you?

rich you know i been saying this for a long time and i argee we do need some change and GET OFF ROAD!!!!!! since after we are still an offroading club

·
Registered
965 Posts
tacotoy said:
takeover has always been your thing. i would be willing to come back and step up as the prez...

um no.... sorry, rich I don't think you at the level of involvement yet to take over as prez.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DriftinCO said:
Takeover was a vision I caught from Chris M. because we were soooooo close to getting to host under his leadership. Now the time is quickly coming for the region we're in to host again.

I've always been open to and looking for emerging leadership within and coming into the club. I think of the Pres position as the executive oversight/leadership and the VP and Directors as the action folks. The Pres holds everything in perspective, that big picture thing, and the officers each work a section or sections of the club, club events and takeover. I agree, the things certainly won't work if the segregated like you mentioned.

Maturity, sense of responsibility and ability to work with and align many different personalities and opinions with diplomacy are key character ingredients for senior staff.

Hit me with more info bud, what's your plan? We're talking the next 18 to 24 months here...because of greater concern to me is what happens with the club after takeover? My goal is to create a culture where folks with similar interests (tacos, 4runners, off-roading, etc.) and problems (cv shafts, maintenance, tires, etc.) and create a knowledge exchange that reaches beyond the state line. Molly is working with the OH Pres., I'm working with the TX Pres., and we've all met cool folks from CA, UT, NM and other states. That's what I'm thinking it's all about. Well, that and some great stories to tell after events...that's important too!

And everyone else chime in with suggestions too. C'mon I know everyone in this club isn't that bashful.

no offense but i think that the network is there that already extends past the state line. last time i checked it was the national boards. i think that getting to know these people is a great idea but that it will happen on its own over time as we take our trips to moab, host takeover, and other interstate events. making the extra effort for it almost becomes overkill. i think it better to have more people active in local areas so we can go wheeling every weekend. so that we can post up when we are fixing our truck for people to help. being the president also includes the ability to see that you have too much on your plate without enough people to delegate to. and in all honesty i see you in that position right now. you have a family and a busy life aside from this club. perhaps a switching and having you step down to a vp postion or the like would be better to allow someone else to have full hold on the reins and let you not have so much on your plate but still be able to retain your though and insight for the club even after takeover occurs

1 - 20 of 81 Posts