TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the desert scean for myself? Over the last few years I really havnt enjoyed the scean. Its become more and more seqreagated groups and shop klans. The thought of building another truck has slowly fadded away and even heading out on the bike has become less enjoyable. Its almost become more of a choir than a hobbie and for blowing off steam. Following each shop and site grow over the last 10 years and it as thow evryone is some kind of pro in whats the right way and wrong way and that well never work. I can't even bring myself to spend houres reading up on RDC, Desert Rides and Dezert rangers like before. Hell I dont even go on those oth 3 anymore, just cruze TTORA for a few mins a day while at work. I spent 7 long years breaking into a job souly in the offroard industrie and I wount even get into that. Think what you want but untill thar is a big change in whats going on in the desert I'll just stick to my job as a sales persone for off road parts.

Sorry for the bad grammer its earlie and im not awake yet so deal with it.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
simple cure- go to baja with friends, enjoy a few days of solid riding, exploring, cmaping, fishing...it does wonders.

i agree withyou though...the scene is worthless, here we have a ton of people none of whom offroad whatsoever(okay there are about 5, you know who you are and who you arent) but they all build trucks to be part of the scene, maybe i'm gettin old but when i got into the desert scene it was who could make what they have work the best, not who makes the best item i can buy for 5000$ and never take it off road(no running barstow main back and forth at a mdr race dows not count as off roading to me)

I'm sick of the rich kid posers. i still continue to invite people on my runs(about every weekend) and its not the kids witht the pimped out trucks, its mostly guys with budgets who just enjoy being out there to get awya, not chasing the dream of being in some "scene"

yeah I'm sick of it too, but come summer time I'll be driving and riding beaches in baja, getting to halibut holes that woul dblow you mind, and hangin with friends who are in it cuz they love it, not cuz its cool so they had to sell their ricer car cuz everyones innto prerunners now.

fucking posers piss me off YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE ALL!!!!

see you in the dirt:rolleyes:
Mike

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I don't understand the scene thing, it's just my hobby. I've always loved building and improving things so I go when time allows and build my truck the same way. Can't wait for the rear bedcage to be done cause I miss hanging out in the desert w/ my friends and chillin around the campfire at night shootin the shit. I DGAF about the "scene".

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Can't wait for the rear bedcage to be done cause I miss hanging out in the desert w/ my friends and chillin around the campfire at night shootin the shit.
Don't look at me! Blame my class load! We'll get the bedcage done... eventually.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Of the desert scean for myself? Over the last few years I really havnt enjoyed the scean. Its become more and more seqreagated groups and shop klans. The thought of building another truck has slowly fadded away and even heading out on the bike has become less enjoyable. Its almost become more of a choir than a hobbie and for blowing off steam. Following each shop and site grow over the last 10 years and it as thow evryone is some kind of pro in whats the right way and wrong way and that well never work. I can't even bring myself to spend houres reading up on RDC, Desert Rides and Dezert rangers like before. Hell I dont even go on those oth 3 anymore, just cruze TTORA for a few mins a day while at work. I spent 7 long years breaking into a job souly in the offroard industrie and I wount even get into that. Think what you want but untill thar is a big change in whats going on in the desert I'll just stick to my job as a sales persone for off road parts.

Sorry for the bad grammer its earlie and im not awake yet so deal with it.

This is not solely a Desert racing/wheelin type thing either. There are so many posers in every aspect of this sport, it makes me sick. I find myself loosing the drive to wheel with the big groups, etc. The BB's are getting filled with people that have no business in them and thus making the BB less about useful information and more about useless crap. People make things way to damn hard and complicated.

It's simple, if you are out to wheel for OTHER people, get out of the sport, if you are out to wheel for yourself... stay. Build a rig how you want it (safe... etc) and use it to your content. people don't need a 5K suspension to drive around ocotillo wells, or a Solid Axle to play in big bear.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Consedering the fact that I have almost been hit 3 times in Glamis by people who are way under skilled to be driving these 60k plus rails, our camp almost being mobed threw by built and not so built trucks and the pure stupidity in Glamis has killed it for me.

With my last truck I went out to OCO for a day trip and couldnt belive how out of controle it had become. To give you and idea of how long I have been doing this, I chased down the piece in OCO when it was running yellow Bilstiens in the rear. Also I was one of the original members of Inland Prerunners when a farmer boys meet was 15-20 trucks and that was a big turn out.

I love this sport and wount stop following it, but I wount be heading out to the desert for a few years.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The sport (offroading) is more popular than ever right now. I never thought I would see the day that you could walk into Pep Boys and buy a little 50, lame.
I keep telling myself that it will die down, and I really believe that. It will just take a while. Most people that get into this sport are doing it to keep up with the jones's and I think almost hope that sooner or later they will have an accident and will just sell the bike quad or rail whatever. It usually just takes one good accident enough to scare them into not going out anymore. Only problem is everyone and their brother is out there, thats alot of accidents that need to happen:D , so yeah it will be a few years but I can wait it out.

·
Registered
513 Posts
That's why night runs are glorious. Get out to ocotillo around 9pm and offroad till midnight then drive home. Don't see anyone but a couple quads and some drunks.

I remember going out to the desert and beating in whatever vehicles we had. Old pickups, jeeps, civics, ramchargers. We despised the groups who would go to blowsand and just drink and party and go home. O'well when this is all over the true fans will remain and the posers will move onto the next extreme sport like... super snow mobiling lol..

·
Registered
975 Posts
it is just like the rices phase,it was insane for the first 3 or so years.but people lost interest in that scene and shops are closing down.you still see alot of ricers rolling around,but it isn't nearly as bad as it has been.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Stay away from Cramis. All it is, is a bunch of Mesicans riding around on quads with no safety equipment or common sense. That or HUGE "sick lifted" trucks that are hauling bikes which will mob through your camp til 4 am while blasting Kotton Mouth Kings. I'll pass, thanks...

To be honest I don't see this sport dying down anytime soon. I think gas will have to hit obscene prices before seeing a reduction in "sick lifted" Chevys and Fords romping the freeways

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
ive been in "the scene" for about 9 years and i too have really noticed this hobby going downhill. the "bros" came in and pretty much ruined everyone first impressions of people who enjoy going to the desert as a hobby. ive donated to plenty of places to try and keep the deserts open and have even been around the desert cleaning up other peoples crap, but it just doesn't seem to help. im tired of being related to people who dont care about the desert and that drink and then go drive their trucks and flip eachother off... my family even refuses to go to glamis.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
well of course. i meant back in the day we would go and be worry free because everyone respected one another. now its a whole different place. i doubt ill ever step foot in glamis again.

·
Registered
892 Posts
What makes a hobby enjoyable? Well, it depends on the hobby.

Offroading (to me) is enjoyable with the people whom help make it enjoyable. I absolutely love wrenching on my stuff - improving its performance, and overall maintaining my stuff. But hell, I can do that regardless if I take it offroad or not.

I know exactly what you mean.... After 8 years of offroading and being involved with many clubs and events & such - the offroad *scene* ( in this area anyway) just totally fell through for us (my husband and I). Our good friends and good peeps - those who made the hobby enjoyable - aren't around as much anymore because they've moved on to other things. What's left.....I dunno.... there's a lot of politics, rumors, backstabbing, etc. Besides that - I don't *fit-in* because I'm not building a rig and I don't fab my own chit.

So - the hobby just isn't interesting or fun anymore without the good peeps and good friends to wheel with. I miss the good peeps and the good friends.... that's what the hobby is about - friends!

·
Registered
101 Posts
ive been offroading since i was a little kid with my dad which was back when everybody had a good time and were safe. i have never been to glamis but have always wanted to, but i dont think i will go anytime soon. its just to dangerous and too many stupid people that dont pay attention to were they are going. these people who buy their trucks already totally done and just are doin it because it i sthe cool thing to do need to move on to the next sport this sport is about having fun and building your rig for how you wanna drive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts