TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting on the TC long travel kit over the last few weeks (finally got the extended axles) the kit is complete but have a few questions.

First off, how much clearance should there be between the CV and the coilover? One side has about a millimeter, the other has less. Seems crazy that they're this close...

What are the torques supposed to be for the spindle to upper arm and spindle to lower arm? Couldn't find those ones posted.

·
Registered
912 Posts
tmorgan4 said:
First off, how much clearance should there be between the CV and the coilover? One side has about a millimeter, the other has less. Seems crazy that they're this close...
Just a shot in the dark but r u sure u got the right shocks for 4wd. The shock has a taller lower mount that should clear the axle better by spacing the lower coil seat away from it. If you didn't have 2 cut your upper mount 2 clear your resi hose fitting 2 fit the shocks then they are the wrong ones. Fox's, SAW?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't check the part number, but I do remember the guy I talked to from TC urging me to check that...

It does almost sound like they are the wrong ones....a taller lower mount would fix the issue perfectly. They're Foxs and the upper mount did have to be cut for the reservoir hose. Shouldn't all of them (even the wrong ones) have to be cut since the reservoir is in the same spot?

·
Registered
912 Posts
tmorgan4 said:
Shouldn't all of them (even the wrong ones) have to be cut since the reservoir is in the same spot?
Not on the 2wd. Pretty sure you just flip the upper shock mount adapter so it spaces the shock further down in the bucket, or maybe there is a different adaptor for 2wd.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Shit. I just bought a used kit from a prerunner and noticed the part numbers were different after the fact. Did the OP ever figure it out or can you get by with running the wrong shocks? Might have to change out the rod end and flip the hat? I dunno. Also have any of you 4wd guys changed your own axles? Can it be done without a press and do you need new boot kits?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Logan when I got my Kings I had to order them with a longer rod end. Im not sure on the Foxes or Sway a Ways though. I installed the axles with the help of my buddy and it was a pain. He had to use a press at the dealership to press the bearings on. Then we put new boots/grease since we had them all apart anyway. Its cheap insurance and less hassle in the long run. You dont have to use new boots though.

Check your tie rods when you have everything apart. My driver side had a ton of play and had to be replaced. Just check/replace anything that needs attention when you have it all apart. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
thanks dude. This lt stuff is a pain in the nuts. I also have to figure out what to do with the bumps, I'm running chubbies right now and I tossed my stock ones long ago. Might have to weld some strike plates on or something and make the chubs work, although Brock didn't have any luck trying that.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
thanks dude. This lt stuff is a pain in the nuts. I also have to figure out what to do with the bumps, I'm running chubbies right now and I tossed my stock ones long ago. Might have to weld some strike plates on or something and make the chubs work, although Brock didn't have any luck trying that.
Maybe somebody held on to their stock bumps after they bought Chubbies or Jounces. A few guys going Camburg added Fox bumps try them too for stock bumps.

Make sure you figure out how your going to mount your coilover resi too. I had to go up and to the cab instead of going forward like most guys do. Im glad that I bought the secondary shock hoop to do it but it was an unexpected expense and pain in the butt to wait for more parts in the mail.

·
Registered
600 Posts
So back to the torque numbers... I need to know too.
If you don't know can you put the torque wrench on loosen, then slowly up the torque values until the nut comes undone. Then you'll have an idea of what the stock value should be? Then use that value when you re-tighten the bolt?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I could always do an engine cage and bump off the uca's too. I dunno yet. I plan on mounting the resis with zip ties and duct tape until I figure it out, lol.
From what I understand you cant bump off TC upper control arms. But hey if you want to try it post up.

Zipties and duct tape do solve most of the world's problems.:D

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
so are these chubbies ever going up for sale :D

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Shit. I just bought a used kit from a prerunner and noticed the part numbers were different after the fact. Did the OP ever figure it out or can you get by with running the wrong shocks? Might have to change out the rod end and flip the hat? I dunno. Also have any of you 4wd guys changed your own axles? Can it be done without a press and do you need new boot kits?
Logan! I thought you were tight on money???? LOL

Did you buy the kit from the guy i told you about on TN....or was someone else selling a used kit?

Congrats on the kit man!!! Buying used is the only way to go...

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
money is tight. had to sell the 4runner project to make it happen due to the fact I bought the wifey a new Chevy 2500hd for Christmas. I got it from the dude off TN, thanks for the link. I'll call chaos later and see if they have axles in stock and ask them about the shock stuff.

edit: got axles from kartek ($575) and resi mounts, but they didn't have rod ends. Contacted Icon to scrounge rod ends and they said their new LT coilovers are out. They look sweet, but I think I would have a hard time selling the fox's I have so I'll just convert them.

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
any chance the guy you bought the kit from named jeremy?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
money is tight. had to sell the 4runner project to make it happen due to the fact I bought the wifey a new Chevy 2500hd for Christmas. I got it from the dude off TN, thanks for the link. I'll call chaos later and see if they have axles in stock and ask them about the shock stuff.

edit: got axles from kartek ($575) and resi mounts, but they didn't have rod ends. Contacted Icon to scrounge rod ends and they said their new LT coilovers are out. They look sweet, but I think I would have a hard time selling the fox's I have so I'll just convert them.

Get ahold of Sonny at Down South Motorsports. He can rebuild your shocks and add the longer rod ends.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts