TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to spend around $7k or trade my Subaru straight across. Initially, based upon looks, and price range I like the 98-00 body style.

Was wondering if someone could tell me the differences in the 98-00 vs. 96/97... Besides obvious front end differences.

I know for impreza's you can swap the entire front end off of a 93 for example with that of a 2001. Are similar conversions possibile with Tacomas?

Is $7k an OK budget, I need 4WD and want manual transmission... prefer xtra cab.

Any other buying advice? What are typical problems to look out for?

·
Registered
254 Posts
ECU's were different in the 95.5-96 and the 97+. If you were planning on supercharging it, you cant on the earlier models.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't think you gonna get a 98-00 4wd X cab for 7k less it has high miles, at least not where I am. Maybe for a 4banger. The 6s in that year range and normal miles are up around 10K+

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
You will probably never find a respectable X-Cab Tacoma in the 98-00 year range for $7K in decent condition unless it has like 130K+ miles on it.... and if you find anything close, it'll be a 4 cylinder.

If you are looking for a 98-00 Tacoma 4x4 V6 Manual X-Cab with under 100K on it in decent condition and with a clean title, expect to be paying at least $10K unless you get a good hookup from a real good friend or family member who can buy you one at an auction.

I was looking at '97-'02 4x4 Tacos with manual transmissions for a good year before i bought one and ended up buying my 4-cylinder regular cab '01 with 59K miles for $10.5K in October of 2005... and that was one of the best deals I'd seen in that entire year. All the ones that I saw that were cheaper than $8K were regular cab 4 cylinder trucks with rust problems on the frame and decently high miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
tacd44
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing