TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the previous owner of my truck installed the k&n cold intake set up, I'd have never done it but whatever. I plan on driving lots of dirt roads with this thing and have been scared shitless at the idea of how much dust it would pick up. I was planning on maybe finding some stock parts to put back in it then I saw this picture in the k&n intall thread:

I'm guessing that cover would be pretty cheap and keep most of of the dust out. Anyone got a quick link of where one could be purchased? I've googled around with no luck yet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet, thanks a bunch. BTW am I correct is asumming this will make it no biggie to tear ass down dirt roads with that cold air intake thing attached? Would you want to take this wrap off while riding around town on the pavement or would it matter? I personally don't buy into the fact that the intake gives you any noticable increase in power, so I probablly wouldn't care to take it off unless it could do some damage if left on long term.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Filter wraps aren't very cheap in my book... for what it is...

Hint... Don't clean yer filter everytime it looks dirty...
These work best if left on the dirty looking side of things...

If you run the filter wrap in the worst case conditions that will help minimize too much build up... I clean my filter at around 25K intervals... Unless I have too much caking from several off road runs... Right after a cleaning is when it is most vunerable and allows too much unwanted material to pass thru... I don't use the filter wrap... Cause I'm too cheap to pay that kinda money for it...

Note... Everyone here hates the K&N filters... and to each their own...
I also have the Deck Plate mod/air box using the OEM Fuzzy filter and found in my own tests that my MAF was just as dirty when trailing 10 rigs on a dusty trail... In my case I thought the K&N did a better job if it was left on the dirty side and not over oiled... Over oiling can cause the MAF to register an CEL... Trick is to oil lightly and let it soak in for several hours and it will wick it's way thru all the pleats... I usually run a bead of oil down the outside of each pleat and then let it sit for 1/2 day and then it has usually wicked all the way thru and is good to go and will not have excess oil to set off the MAF...

If all this scares you... Then find a stock air box and do away with the K&N...
I believe I have saved tons of money by using a cleanable/reusable filter instead of a throw away... I change my oil every 3K... Have 128K so far and the engine runs flawlessly...

For me... I just don't believe in all the hype and choose to go my own way...
Do I expect to get 300K outta this engine?.. I don't think it a big deal if I have to rebuild/replace it at 250K or 300K... It's inevitable that it will need to be done at some point down the road anyhow...

JMO... though I may be the minority ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts