TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older sony Vaio box that came with XP home on it. That worked ok, but now that it's on a network I upgraded to XP Pro. The comp runs just fine, but a minor anoyance has presented itself.

Before the fans on this box would quiet down right after it booted into windows. After the XP Pro Install, they are on all the time, and it's just a little anoying. I checked the power settings, but still haven't had any luck getting these to turn off when they are not needed. They did with XP Home...

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 with a similar problem. There are little utility programs out there that allow the user to adjust fan speed based off of processor usage and other factors (for example, I have the fans go full blast when playing certain games). They also allow you set parameters such as when the processor hits 170*, you can have then turn on, etc.

I don't know about one being made for your specific VAIO model, but try Googling it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Seems like your XP settings are overridding the Bios energy saver settings. Either that or your computer has to work faster now :p

Personally I just run the quitecool stuff, no fans :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Part of the problem is Pro is a little more processor intensive with more programs running in the background. Part it it could be a dirty fan. Make sure your up to date on the service packs and give the fan/sink a good cleaning. You can also upgrade the fan and heat sink. ;)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Have you been in the BIOS to see what the settings are there? My guess is since it's an OEM machine, it probably came with an OEM program to thermally manage the fans. There may have been a control panel/power settings override as well (seen it before). Your upgrade may have hosed it. The BIOS may have an OS override that will take over this management at the hardware level, or you may be able to grab the utility from the sony website again and reinstall it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts