TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Iv'e got an '06 tacoma and the inner lense on both front turn signals are cracked. toyota said they have no other record of this ever happening, but won't raplace them because i have aftermarket LED bulbs. But they don't know how they broke. Has anyone had any issues like this?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Considering it was both lenses my guess is it had something to do with either your bulbs, or the way they were installed. ;) Perhaps they were the wrong size, did you pry your lights apart ie. custom job? Something is amiss.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They are just replacement bulbs with LEDs instead of a filament that glows.
They fit in the stock housing and socket without any force or mods to the headlights. The original bulbs that toyota supplies get so hot they started to discolour the socket. The LEDs don't get hot ( I brought an infared themometer with me), and don't give off UV light. The service guy said UV could damage the lense. They can't explain it, but won't fix it. Its not a part of the truck owners really look at, so maybe no one has noticed yet. If you got an '05 or '06 take a look. I'll try a differnt dealer, but they attached my VIN number to a case file so other dealers might be able to look up the complaint.

·
Registered
322 Posts
How long did you run with the stock bulbs? Those lights are also the daytime running lights. I wonder if having those things burning constantly cooked the housing?

·
Registered
132 Posts
in all honesty tho... the color of the plastic that covers the turn signals seems to be a slightly different hue on my 07 as compared to the 06 i had...

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
It's very simple, according to Magnuson Moss, they either have to show you how the LED lights broke your lenses through mechanical interference or some thing or replace the fucking lenses. I have not looked but are the lenses separate and affixed with screws. I ask because many times people crack plastic by over torquing screws in which case they would have a valid position.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The lenses always had a yellow tint, but the service guy didn't think so. we looked at an '07 and the lense is clearer. We looked up the part number to see if they were different on the '07, but they were the same. In my previous post I said the housing discoloured, I meant to say the socket. I only had the original bulbs in for a few months. All I want is a reasonable explanation of how they broke, not some made up, disproven excuse.
Maybe I should ask for somthing more simple.....like the meaning of life?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't the think the moss act applies to Canada, but it's not a bad place to start.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Shit that's too bad, I didn't know it was a Canuk kinda thing. In that case go down there with a knife and threaten to cut their nuts off.
Ontario, is that in the wanna be froggy part of Canada.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No. Those guys are one province to the right when looking at the map. Starts with a "Q"

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm Vindicated!

Holy s#%t, a year later they finnaly decided to replace my Headlights. I was at the dealer for regular maintenance when I saw another customers tacoma in the lot. I walked over and looked the the headlight, and they were cracked too! I went and got the service rep and showed him. This prooved that I was not the one responsible for the crack in my lights and it was more than a single occurance. They agreed to replace both headlights under warranty.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Took my truck in to the Murrfreesboro, Tn dealer today for this issue (at least I believe this is the same issue) 09' 36k . DTRL lense burnt, cracked and melting. The service guy couldn't see the issue with the lights on but when I cut the engine it was plain as day. His response," Holy shit! we'll have to get you some new housings." Mine weren't terrible as some I've found googling this issue but still. 45 minutes later he comes back and says I'm out of warranty but he is going to put in for a "good faith" fix and he will call me next week.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-2nd-generation-2005/390258-burned-cracked-daytime-running-lights-replaced-after-warranty-expired.html

you aren't crazy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts