TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this little brinks safe that I lost the key to. It has an urn that contains my dads ashs, I dont wanna pay to get it open. Ive tried useing a flat bar and hammer but no go. Anyone have any ideas of getting it open without fucking up the shit inside? thanks in advance for any help ;)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Use a bigger hammer!

931 Posts
PuckerFactor said:
So I have this little brinks safe that I lost the key to. It has an urn that contains my dads ashs, I dont wanna pay to get it open. Ive tried useing a flat bar and hammer but no go. Anyone have any ideas of getting it open without fucking up the shit inside? thanks in advance for any help ;)
Pics please!

·
Registered
247 Posts
yea take the serial number off of the back and call the manufacturer. if you sent in the warranty card you will only have to verify the basics for confirmation...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Your best bet is to take it to a locksmith if you don't want it destroyed, they might be able to help....

931 Posts
I would have to agree. If its a simple fire safe you need a bigger pry and hammer. If you need to, clamp or secure it some way so when you hammer on the door the safe does not move around and harm the contents.

I know that I just spend some time on this topic as I purchased a safe myself. The safe co.'s that I spoke with said that the owner had just opened a fire safe that was about 8cu ft. with a simple hammer and prybar. Pryed the front of the door off and accessed the mechanism, they said it only took about 20 minutes to do.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Air hammer:

This safe was left after one of our tenants was evicted. The outside was just tin metal that the air hammer cut like butter. The next layer was just an insulating brittle rock type material that broke apart with my bare hands. I think the last layer was just a thin sheet of lead that I was able to easily cut through. And yes, the change sitting on top of the safe was all that I found (like $1.50 worth). :(

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
PuckerFactor said:
thats the same safe
Use a 4-1/2" grinder with narrow cutoff wheels to slice through it where you need to. Before you start, maybe drill a 1" hole into the safe, and pour in a beer so DAD won't get so pissed about you grinding on him!!!!Cut a hole, and you will be good to go. :saw:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Interex said:
Air hammer:

This safe was left after one of our tenants was evicted. The outside was just tin metal that the air hammer cut like butter. The next layer was just an insulating brittle rock type material that broke apart with my bare hands. I think the last layer was just a thin sheet of lead that I was able to easily cut through. And yes, the change sitting on top of the safe was all that I found (like $1.50 worth). :(
Old wild west trick I think. Just peel one of the sides off and your golden. Since either the top or the bottom is a weak spot on some low end safes.

For the original poster, if it's a little safe like I have (old portable one, not sure of the use of a portable feature but it works to hold almost nothing) I was able to use the leather awl (spelling) on my letherman and poped it to the unlock position. Worked like a charm, hence why I dont carry anything in it, no key. After you do so, if you want to continue using the safe, get a locksmith to make you a new tumble and key.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts