TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Marlin Highsteer kit on my rig about 500 miles ago using the heavy duty steering box mount and i noticed yesterday that there is a hairline crack around half of the frame between where the steering box mount and the front spring hanger, that was not there before. Im thinking the heat from welding it on may have weakened the frame in that area. What would be the best way to reinforce this area to keep it from cracking more? Just to weld up the crack, or put another plate on? I will be making a front bumper for it soon so I was already thing of making a stronger front spring hanger, especially since I will be adding a winch. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I would grind open the crack (at least drill the ends, so there's a nice big radius to keep the crack from propagating), then pad weld it, then plate over it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
from what ive read 79-85 o.e. hangers are prone to cracking/breaking your best bet IMO would be to get a drop hanger and do it that way...good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
ALL toy frames break on the left rail !!!! weld it/grind it down and plate it !-- inside and out !!
it will only get worse when you use a winch along with the P/S change to X-over !!

X-over + winch + flat towing=== done it 3 times !!!!!!

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the input guys. im going to go weld it up tomorrow for a temp fix here in town, then i will update when i get the new hanger and bumper made i will post progress :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.