TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just figured I'd give my impressions of driving my 05 with the hoes at 3.0 VS 2.5 inches of lift. I drove the truck for 4 months and wheeled it in the desert to get the coils to settle and found the ride at 3.0 to be tolerable but stiff. I noticed a moderate amount of wear to the CV boots, but no tears. Not to say that they wouldn't fail given enough miles. I then cranked them down to 2.5 and noticed a much better ride, but a tad more body roll. This roll is nothing in the big picture, just figured it was worth mentioning. IMHO the added droop at 2.5, less wear and tear on the drivetrain and the better ride was worth the decrease in ground clearance. :2cents:

·
Registered
229 Posts
ever thought of having them revalved to the extended version?

·
Registered
156 Posts
i didnt think they made an extended version for the 05+??
and what length limiting straps are you running?

·
Registered
229 Posts
doublej said:
i didnt think they made an extended version for the 05+??
and what length limiting straps are you running?
Yes - they are now released. Mine should be here next week :)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't know they had optional valving available. Thanks for the tip. I think the ride is fine now, so I will probably leave them alone. I am only running limit straps in the rear. I'm running 10 inch 4 ply straps. I fabbed a mount for the clevis and welded tabs to the top of the axle tubes. I will probably be changing this set up soon, as I will be putting Dakars on the back next week. I will most likely have to change my 5150's too, because the dakars will give me more droop.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ya - I am not sure if it will correct the wear probblem (anyone?) - but I do know that as you crank them down more, its the more drop you lose (and more stiff the ride). The ext version give some of that loss in drop back.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The only thing that makes them "extended" is a smaller spacer on the inside. They are the exact same coilover between regular and extend, just the spacer is different.

·
Registered
229 Posts
SinCityTaco said:
The only thing that makes them "extended" is a smaller spacer on the inside. They are the exact same coilover between regular and extend, just the spacer is different.
exactly - you can just send them your existing ones and have them converted.

·
Registered
93 Posts
might have to send them back to have them redone. anyone know the price?

·
Registered
94 Posts
mojavegold said:
Didn't know they had optional valving available. Thanks for the tip. I think the ride is fine now, so I will probably leave them alone. I am only running limit straps in the rear. I'm running 10 inch 4 ply straps. I fabbed a mount for the clevis and welded tabs to the top of the axle tubes. I will probably be changing this set up soon, as I will be putting Dakars on the back next week. I will most likely have to change my 5150's too, because the dakars will give me more droop.
I have had Dakars and Hoes for 3 months , very happy , the dakars lifted
a little to high for what I wanted so I removed one of the overload springs
which lowered it 1/2" my lift is about 2 1/2" from stock, but with 32" tires
that brings it to 3" , the ride is a little bouncy in comparision to the TRD offroad set up it came with, but off road it eats it up.I'm glad I did'nt go with
Deavers or alcans :)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Indigo: I was thinking that I would also take out the second overload to lower the ride height .50. I am running an 8.33 Bil 5150 with the eye to post adapter which adds an extra 1.625 in length to the shock mount. I have been really happy with this shock so far, but my old leafs suck. I figure I'm going to need a 3 degree shim to keep the DS vibes down. I'm running a 2 degree now, with a one piece DS.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was the first to have this done! It is a world of difference. They are longer shafts not just a spacer. It is great, but no where near a LT kit

·
Registered
492 Posts
ryguy said:
yes.. it was ok, but still not as good as LT. Maybe adds about 1" more or so. I cleared 35" tires but still had rub issues.
Just a clarification when you say "extended" Did that mean they gave you more lift as well? Or it's the same lift but you get more droop. How does having extended help you clear 35s?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
YEs.. this is what they do.. They revalve it.. Legnth the shock shafts to do a couple of things.. Depending on how you use your shocks.. BTW. I wrote up a whole thing on doing "EXTENDED DHOES" for the 05+ before. To my knowledge, I was the first person to do this.

So by increasing shaft legnth and fiddling alittle around with valving it allows you to not have so much preload on your shocks. Thus retaining the same height and getting alittle more travel while also getting better ride. Now you can have great ride height with not so much preload so your ride doesnt suffer. As far as bottoming out or droop, this helps as well since the preload isnt maxed out. So to reinterate. I would have only 1.5" of thread showing and had the same height as someone with 2.25" or so. The handling also allowed me to get rid of sway bar!

*NOTE: You need to go to with the DR upper arms to take advantage of the extra height and travel. I do not know if other arms work.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RYGUY: thanks for the info. So basically with the extended travel shock you got a little more droop, which I'm guessing netted you approx 3-5 more degrees of CV angle at full droop?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
actual degree angle of CV I dont know.. I did get more droop. Now the cost to get them done isnt cheap. Consider that as well. Is it worth it? It helps and probably about 30% better.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
mojavegold said:
Just figured I'd give my impressions of driving my 05 with the hoes at 3.0 VS 2.5 inches of lift. I drove the truck for 4 months and wheeled it in the desert to get the coils to settle and found the ride at 3.0 to be tolerable but stiff. I noticed a moderate amount of wear to the CV boots, but no tears. Not to say that they wouldn't fail given enough miles. I then cranked them down to 2.5 and noticed a much better ride, but a tad more body roll. This roll is nothing in the big picture, just figured it was worth mentioning. IMHO the added droop at 2.5, less wear and tear on the drivetrain and the better ride was worth the decrease in ground clearance. :2cents:
IMO, adjustable COs should be cranked only high enough to still be able to stuff a front wheel to the bump stops with the sway bar discoed ;)
if you need more hight for tire clearance add a 1" BL.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hytenor said:
IMO, adjustable COs should be cranked only high enough to still be able to stuff a front wheel to the bump stops with the sway bar discoed ;)
if you need more hight for tire clearance add a 1" BL.
____________________________________________________________-

10-4 I agree. I was just doing a little science experiment. I prefer the ride at 2.5 anyway. My kidneys are thanking me. I really don't want to do a BL, even if it's only 1.0. Later down the road, when I buy a new truck, I'll do an SAS with CO's if I need more lift.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts