TTORA Forum banner

Crankshaft Pulley Main Seal Leak?

13K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  NorcalPR 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Recently my serpentine belt was squeaking and there was a slight tick. I replaced the belt, and found that the lower idler pulley was not rotating entirely smoothly, but since my local dealer did not have the part in, I put the new serpentine belt on as a "temp" fix to the squealing (ticking continued). About a week goes by (waiting for the part to arrive). Suddenly, I heard a slapping sound, to find part of my new belt sheared off and was hitting everything as the belt was rotating.

I drove it to the store to get a new belt, and when I went out to my truck there was a sudden large leak of oil (~1/8-1/4 of a qt). It looks like it is coming from behind the Crankshaft pulley. Upon closer inspection, there was definitely some pieces of the serpentine belt wedged behind the pulley. Any ideas what would cause this sudden oil leak, and if experience has proven to be just the main seal or the oil pump seal as well possibly???

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
Since you have to take the pulley off now anyways, inspect the main seal. You will probably find the belt damaged it and that is the cause for the leak. You should also inspect the pulley to make sure the harmonic balancer part isn't cracking and separating. You'll also need the proper tool(s) to remove and replace the pulley since the crank bolt is torqued to 192 ft-lbs.

#3 · (Edited)
Thank you for your response. Thanks for the ft-lbs spec, by specific tools, are you referring to a strap wrench (removal) and cheater bar for installation? Does the tightening spec need to be precise or can I over-tighten?
Since i have not removed this before...possible worst case scenarios? I don't want to damage the crankshaft and need to buy a new motor or anything..

Thanks

#6 ·
You can do the numb starter trick to remove the bolt. However, you need to hold the crank from turning to tighten the bolt.

For a v6, the spec is 217, no loctite.

If you need a new pulley, URD makes one that is a lot cheaper and lighter. I've been running one for the past 50k miles and I've had no issues with it

#7 ·
How have you guys ensured the torque was 217? Do you have a torque wrench that measures up to that force? Also, how did you determine if a new pulley was needed. Something was chewing up my belt, but im not sure which pulley it was that was doing that..

#9 ·
I have a torque wrench, just not one that goes up to 250...I do intend on getting one to complete the job however. I appreciate your experienced opinion, but I don't have the ability to pay the mechanic $1500-2000 to do this fix, and the know-how can basically be obtained for free.

PS-> has this sudden oil leak happened to any other members in the past? Do you think that a slice of the serpentine belt could have enough force to really mess up the main seal badly enough to do this?

#10 ·
Hello All,

I appreciate all of your feedback thus far, but the last question I have is what torque you have used in the past on this bolt. I have seen plenty of people saying 207 ft*lbf, but the FSM says 184 ft*lbf on the 2006 3.4L V6 (1GR-FE)?

Any input on the discrepancy?

#11 ·
The 06 Tacoma does not use a 3.4l motor. The 3.4 was used from 95.5-2004. It's a 5vzfe

05-current uses a 4.0l motor. Completely different from the older tacomas.

Regardless, you can use the bump starter trick to loosen. To tighten, if you have a mt, you can put the truck in 5th gear and tighten. If you have a AT, you need to make a sst to hold the pulley. The pulley has two holes for this purpose.

The pulley is two piece, with a piece of rubber in the middle. Check the rubber for cracks.

To do this repair, refer tithe FSM

My torque wrench is 50-250. It's a husky brand and was 75 dollars at the time. 1/2" drive

#14 ·
The pulley is two piece, with a piece of rubber in the middle. Check the rubber for cracks.
When I pulled the pulley off, there was a dismembered piece of rubber..couldn't tell if it was from my serpentine belt, or if it was this rubber piece you are talking about. I cant find anything about the piece of rubber in the FSM. Any links to this seal (or part number?)

Thanks,

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.