TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got done throwing this on... Think I got everything spot on including... the steering shaft (riser block), radiator shroud drop and gas filler adjust...

Feels good and the truck feels tight again...

However...

The shifter shifts fine but seems much tighter (less play) then before the BL... Crawler doesn't make it clear that anything needs to be done on this for their 1" BL... I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this and if it became an issue at all ?

I have yet to engage the 4X so I better check that today...

What would make the shifter get tighter ? (yes the body is lined up correctly within an 1/8" of it's original position)... Is there an adjustment that I should be doing to the shifter to remedy this or just leave it be and enjoy the fact that the shifter doesn't shake as much as it did before ? It seems the slight bind is in the gears towards the rear (2nd, 4th and Reverse)... It seems to hold in the gear and not pop out or anything... But I'm concerned that it's not resting neutral in those gears and could be an issue for the syncros if left like this... I know on the 2 and 3" BL kits you have to mod the opening for the shifter and extend the shaft...
But I thought that wasn't needed for the 1" kit :dunno: ...

Other then that... the kit is great and makes the truck feel tight again... Damn... almost that new truck feeling... I guess after 128K the stock rubber mounts just start getting too flexible... (the bolts were all tight so it wasn't that) I should have added the ES bushings while I was in there :banghead: But wanted to keep the ride somewhat soft if possible...(the originals looked to be in good shape otherwise though)... installing the BL was cake... But the other shiat/accessories I had to remove to do the install was a royal PITA... LOL

Biggest plus... Now I can easily access my spare tire crank with the rear All-Pro bumper again and there's no chance of the tailgate hitting the bumper or the bumper moving up and making contact... And the rocker pinch welds have no chance of hitting the All-Pro slider supports anymore... :kewl:

Any advice would be helpful... Before I tear apart the shift counsle and take a look see...

Edited... Problem Solved...

It was just the inner bellow trans boot binding and hitting the 4X inner shift boot...
Re-drilled the boot plate and moved it back 3/4" and all is good... All of 20 minutes work...

Edit # 2

Well it would seem I have a new clunk emitting from the passenger side firewall/floor board area... I guess I will have to replace the factory body mount bushings afterall to see if they are bad and causing this clunk... Will post up here if the poly bushings correct this issue...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
When I did my RB 1" body lift I was very happy with the results as well. However, keep checking the mount bolts. I noticed that mine would loosen pretty quickly at first, but now they dont seem to loosen at all, but I still check them every four months or so. I would check them every month for at least 6 months, because for some reason they do come loose even with red loc-tite and double nuts.

As for your question I cannot say for certain as I have an auto. trans. But, where the TC shifter goes through the floor there is a rubber boot that you can see if you remove the plastic shroud/ cupholder BS, or look from under the truck. You may check to see that this boot is not being stretched by adding the BL. If it is, you may be able to spray some lube on the boot and adjust it so it is not being stretched anymore.

Something to look into anyway.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i can't say anything as far as the shifting goes, I have only heard bigger problems like yours on 2-3" BL for which they make extensions for. Would love to see some pics though, i have close to the same armor setup as you and would love to see the lines :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the same lift and the only problem i had was getting the damn steering ext to work with my fabtech steering ext. I had to do some grinding on both ends. I noticed also that my shifting was a little different but i have no problem with it going in or out of any gears.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CYi5 said:
i can't say anything as far as the shifting goes, I have only heard bigger problems like yours on 2-3" BL for which they make extensions for. Would love to see some pics though, i have close to the same armor setup as you and would love to see the lines :)
10-4... I'll post some pics...

But not until I get the new Wheeler R.Crawlers and the BFG 285's installed... Maybe the friday or early next week... I'm purdy happy with how the AP stuff fit's now... Just want to put a filler plate on the top of the front bumper so it keeps my winch rope out of the sun... and then maybe clean it up a bit to fill in the larger gap from the BL... The sliders and rear look and function better IMO... the front is a little odd looking (a little low looking maybe)...But not enough to fret over... Besides... I'm more concerned over function then form... So it's all good to me...

Bump for anymore answers that may be of help...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
TacoDell said:
Just got done throwing this on... Think I got everything spot on including... the steering shaft (riser block), radiator shroud drop and gas filler adjust...

Feels good and the truck feels tight again...

However...

The shifter shifts fine but seems much tighter (less play) then before the BL... Crawler doesn't make it clear that anything needs to be done on this for their 1" BL... I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this and if it became an issue at all ?

I have yet to engage the 4X so I better check that today...

What would make the shifter get tighter ? (yes the body is lined up correctly within an 1/8" of it's original position)... Is there an adjustment that I should be doing to the shifter to remedy this or just leave it be and enjoy the fact that the shifter doesn't shake as much as it did before ? It seems the slight bind is in the gears towards the rear (2nd, 4th and Reverse)... It seems to hold in the gear and not pop out or anything... But I'm concerned that it's not resting neutral in those gears and could be an issue for the syncros if left like this... I know on the 2 and 3" BL kits you have to mod the opening for the shifter and extend the shaft...
But I thought that wasn't needed for the 1" kit :dunno: ...

Other then that... the kit is great and makes the truck feel tight again... Damn... almost that new truck feeling... I guess after 128K the stock rubber mounts just start getting too flexible... (the bolts were all tight so it wasn't that) I should have added the ES bushings while I was in there :banghead: But wanted to keep the ride somewhat soft if possible...(the originals looked to be in good shape otherwise though)... installing the BL was cake... But the other shiat/accessories I had to remove to do the install was a royal PITA... LOL

Biggest plus... Now I can easily access my spare tire crank with the rear All-Pro bumper again and there's no chance of the tailgate hitting the bumper or the bumper moving up and making contact... And the rocker pinch welds have no chance of hitting the All-Pro slider supports anymore... :kewl:

Any advice would be helpful... Before I tear apart the shift counsle and take a look see...
It is strange to have a shift issue with the 1" BL (I have an auto), but try sitting in your truck (without the engine running) and go through the gears. It may just be the plastic surrounding the stick. If so, loosen it up a bit to let it relax. You could cut a little bit of the plastic to free things up a little too.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
bray said:
It is strange to have a shift issue with the 1" BL (I have an auto), but try sitting in your truck (without the engine running) and go through the gears. It may just be the plastic surrounding the stick. If so, loosen it up a bit to let it relax. You could cut a little bit of the plastic to free things up a little too.
It's not really a shift issue... It just doesn't feel as positive going into the rearward gears (2, 4 and R) it goes and stays in the gears otherwise... 4X lever works fine (feels normal)... I think it has something to do with the inner boot on the trans lever... I'll be pulling the counsole up today and taking a closer look... I'm guessing that the innner bellow boot is causing the odd feeling in the lever... Maybe I need to play with that a bit and see... I figure if the trucks body went up then that top part of the bellow boot needs to move down the lever shaft as well (instead of in it's original groove on the stick) ?

I'll post what I find when I get into it later today...

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
highplainsdrifter said:
As for your question I cannot say for certain as I have an auto. trans. But, where the TC shifter goes through the floor there is a rubber boot that you can see if you remove the plastic shroud/ cupholder BS, or look from under the truck. You may check to see that this boot is not being stretched by adding the BL. If it is, you may be able to spray some lube on the boot and adjust it so it is not being stretched anymore.

Something to look into anyway.
Well after pulling it apart... this is exactly the issue... But I was under the pressumption that it was not going to be an issue with the 1" BL :confused:

The bellow boot on the trans stick is being stretched to it's limit and is also contacting the 4wd lever's boot... This is wanting to put pressure on the shift lever back in the direction of neutral... Not enough to push it into neutral... But enough to make it feel as if it is not positively in gear (2nd, 4th and Reverse)... I guess I may have to look into shifting the whole plate rearward 3/4" or so just so I feel more comfortable that it is neutral in those rearward gears with no pressure trying to push the stick towards the neutral position... I believe I can just re-drill holes in the boot plate and trim the rearward side of the shifter opening a tad and all will be good...

But what the hell are you talking about spraying lube on the boot :dunno: :confused: Sound like a hella mess to me... LOL

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I meant if you sprayed it with some WD40 or something you might be able to slide the shifter down out of the boot a little and allieviate some of the tension on the boot which seems to be causing your problem. Without having "eyes on the problem" its hard to say what you need to do to fix this, but at least now you know what the issue is.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
highplainsdrifter said:
I meant if you sprayed it with some WD40 or something you might be able to slide the shifter down out of the boot a little and allieviate some of the tension on the boot which seems to be causing your problem. Without having "eyes on the problem" its hard to say what you need to do to fix this, but at least now you know what the issue is.
Problem solved...

Moved the shift boot plate back 3/4"... All of 20 minutes time...
Works great and there is no interference any longer...

I should have just looked at it before posting this dumbass thread... LOL

·
Registered
195 Posts
TacoDell said:
Problem solved...

Moved the shift boot plate back 3/4"... All of 20 minutes time...
Works great and there is no interference any longer...

I should have just looked at it before posting this dumbass thread... LOL
NO, not dumb ass at all, I have been watching/reading this since you started it. This is great info for someone like myself with a very similar truck that is looking into the same RB BL. So, you may have saved at least someone some hassle :D

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SteelCity311 said:
NO, not dumb ass at all, I have been watching/reading this since you started it. This is great info for someone like myself with a very similar truck that is looking into the same RB BL. So, you may have saved at least someone some hassle :D
Roger gets annoyed that everyone calls it an RB BL... It's a Crawler BL... And he quotes that right on his site... ;)

And thanks for not calling me a dumb ass... But I was... 'cause I was being lazy... But glad that it might be able to help someone else in the long haul... If you have any questions when you go to do the BL... Feel free to PM me and I'll help in anyway that I can...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts